Sarapicos JL

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Good day -

I'm doing my planning and road map to upgrade to a 37" on my 2018 JLUR and, looking at a number of products I saw the RTG Heavy Duty Tire Carrier (https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/r...ler-unlimited/) that looks very similar to the Mopar solution.

Since I didn't find any reviews online, I come to this trusted forum for some help.

The price doesn't seem that bad @ $399 on Northridge and even Amazon but I feel like I would be taking a step of faith

Please help
Sponsored

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
It does look similar to the Mopar set up for sure. It looks like you would likely need to use a relocation bracket to raise the spare slightly. If you look in the pictures in the link the tire is either sitting on the rear bumper, or really close to it. So add about another $80-$100 for one of those. Now you are up in the $500 range, and for not a lot more money you can get a carrier that replaces the factory hinges, with way more adjustment as well. I went with a Rusty's, many on here run the EVO and Cavfab too. The reason I suggest this is that King kit shows it weighs 57 pounds, and the relocation plate is probably 10-12, now add at least a 100 pound spare and you're asking a lot from those factory hinges.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Another reasonably priced solution is the Metal Cloak Sportgate tire carrier. It's $420 (but MC is offering 10% off this Labor day weekend) and all you would need to add is a third brake light of your choice. It completely does away with the stock carrier, reinforces the tailgate, and has an adjustable tire carrier. MC rates it for 150 pounds.

I use one for my 37" spare and it is solid, with no shaking, rattles, etc. You just have to adjust it so the back of the tire is compressing the stock spare tire bumpers.

Very happy with it and can't really justify spending any more on a tire carrier, unless/until I go up to 38's or 40's and beadlocks.
Sponsored