Sponsored

Tire Advice for Dunes

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Red
Hello, have a JLUR and would like to upgrade my rims and tires. Think I'll go 35 nitto ridge grabbers and I'd like to do a 20in rim. What I'm being told is the 20in rim is terrible for rock crawling and off-roading, that's fine I don't do much of that. I go to the dunes once a month and want to make sure what I get is great for driving around and also dune use. What does everyone think of 20's on sand? Thinking XD135 grenade OR in black.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
My opinion...
I'd stay with 17s which will allow you more sidewall when aired down in the sand.
.. but it's your jeep! It will probably be fine on 20s.

I think the nitto dune grapplers are obviously good for sand too. Have you checked those out?

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
20’s in sand are no good. You have to air down, I’d suggest 10 psi in back and 15 up front. With 20’s your liable to pop or cut a bead.
And the more air volume, the greater flotation.

OP
OP
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Red
My opinion...
I'd stay with 17s which will allow you more sidewall when aired down in the sand.
.. but it's your jeep! It will probably be fine on 20s.

I think the nitto dune grapplers are obviously good for sand too. Have you checked those out?
I'm looking for an all around tire and wheel I don't have to change out for everyday driving and the dunes.

OP
OP
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Red
20’s in sand are no good. You have to air down, I’d suggest 10 psi in back and 15 up front. With 20’s your liable to pop or cut a bead.
And the more air volume, the greater flotation.
that's what I'm told, I'll either own two sets of tires, or go with 18s.
Sponsored