Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
10 ply is an E rated tire. I would pass. Too stiff for a jeep.
Ridge Grapplers are a 10ply as well but they seem to be a pretty popular choice here. If you're running a 10ply around 30 psi the ride is better.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Doesn't seem to be any tires available for that size that aren't 10 ply. I run E rated Patagonias on my 2 dr and they are a firm ride but I also run at 30 psi and don't find the ride objectionable at all. With the comfortable seats and OEM Rubicon shocks & springs we just got back from a 1800 mile round trip and felt great, not tired or cramped at all (and we're old, lol)

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Toyo Tires Open Country A/T II 10 Ply Radial Tire-LT255/80R17
vs
Falken WILDPEAK A/T3W All- Terrain Radial Tire-LT255/80R17

Thoughts? Traction and noise...
I don’t know anything about the two tires listed but I ran that size in a BFG KM2 on my JK sport several years back in 10 ply. They rode great. I like that size.

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I am running into the “number of plys” dilemma now as well. Unless you stay in smaller sizes, all but a few are E rated. KO2 is only one I know of that has a 35 (315/70) in a C rating. I think Duratracs might be a D rating. All those running Nitto Ridge Grapplers are E rated 10 ply. So does it really matter?

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
10 ply is an E rated tire. I would pass. Too stiff for a jeep.
Yeah was my first thought as well.

We had a 4x4 with 245/75 R16 a while back towing a 5000lb trailer. It was the original KO and was a bullet proof hard compound tire pumped to 50+ psi E rated. It was a perfect use for that tire when using a towing equalizer bar. Wear over the years was nominal. Super tough stiff high load tire.

For the Rubicon the soft compound KO2 C rated - is way more compliant especially aired down when working with the Rubi shocks and suspension. It does however wear faster than the KO it replaced - but is better in the snow. So like everything has compromises with design changes.

Some simply go 10 ply and just air down. So is a pro and con - always dependent on personal preference. The 33” KO2 C is actually a very decent AT compromise for the Rubi - so can appreciate why FCA chose this tire. Ok on-road ok off-road for the majority of its users.

Last edited:

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have no experience with Toyo tires, but LOTS of experience with Falken tires. They are on all of our fleet Wranglers/Gladiators/Power Wagons, and are now OE on Rubicon edition Jeeps. I also have them on my own personal Wrangler. They have performed well for me in a variety of conditions as well as on all our fleet vehicles which are mostly off-road driven. I haven't seen a single failure, defect or other problem in thousands of combined miles across 30 or so vehicles.

Concurrently, Falken equipped vehicles have won a variety of off-road endurance events (including this year's Baja 1000 on a Gladiator, as well as numerous King of the Hammers, sponsored by Nitto)). The thing that makes that significant is that the same tires the racers use are the ones we buy retail. Other manufacturers produce special "race only" tires for competition.

I have been to Falken Academy which is a marketing event for them, so I'm somewhat partial. But I have also seen them in continued action for the last year. I think they're pretty darned good.
Sponsored