Wheel & Tire Advice

jpatricka

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL SPORT S
I love my 2021 Wrangler and am blown away by the step up that it is from my beloved 2016 JK. However, I do not like the look of the standard wheels and all season Michelin tires. The ride is really good and I don’t do any off roading, but I still wish it had a more athletic look. So, what do you recommend? Both new wheels AND tires? Which ones? Thanks for the great info on the forum!

20A5A7EE-36AD-453D-AB34-2F85F526BD30.jpeg
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum!

For instant looks improvement get a set of Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires and be done.

If you want new wheels, check out Quadratec-branded and AEV wheels. They look the best IMO, and are guaranteed to fit. Quadratec wheels offer excellent value and quality; AEV wheels are pricey but look like a million bucks.

Per new tires, I’d be looking at All Terrains. BFG KO2, General Grabber AT-X, Goodyear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak are all excellent tires. They will give you the look you want, and more than the capability you will ever need.

Without a lift you can fit up to 285/70R17 (32.7 x 11.2 inches) without rubbing.

Good luck!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - you can also have your factory wheels professionally powder coated satin black or dark gray for about $90 each. In fact, matching your wheels to your Granite Jeep will look excellent! Add a set of new All Terrains with white letters and you will be amazed how much better your Jeep looks with just those two changes.

Your stock wheels are good looking and of excellent quality; they are just hiding underneath that “Cheap FCA” silver paint.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
I love my 2021 Wrangler and am blown away by the step up that it is from my beloved 2016 JK. However, I do not like the look of the standard wheels and all season Michelin tires. The ride is really good and I don’t do any off roading, but I still wish it had a more athletic look. So, what do you recommend? Both new wheels AND tires? Which ones? Thanks for the great info on the forum!

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice 20A5A7EE-36AD-453D-AB34-2F85F526BD30
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice mods

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
seriously though, if you want to save money do as Aldo has mentioned; go for the Rubi take-offs from a forum member in the Member Marketplace area.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
And don’t forget you can now include Gladiator takeoff wheels as well.

This fellow member did JT tires and wheels
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice 1601038314413

I personally like the new JT Overland wheels a lot, but they are 18”, which some people shy away from. The dark gray wheels with machined lip would look amazing on your Granite Jeep, though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice 1601038552040

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I personally think the 285/70-17 looks a bit tight under a stock Sport but others don’t. A 265/70-17 in an aggressive tread will give more width and a better look with little/no change to vehicle performance. In addition to KO2 and Falken Wildpeak, Toyo Open Country AT3 is another choice.

plastidipping the stock wheels is another possibility - cheap but time consuming and look may or may not live up to expectations.

Last edited:

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Here's my 2 Door with the stock KO2's (285/70-17) on 17 x9 Rugged Ridge XHD in gunmetal grey...

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice 1601041372524

Sponsored

OP
OP
jpatricka

jpatricka

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL SPORT S
This is @JeepersCreepersJL JL Sport with JT Overland takeoff wheels and tires.

Despite the pedestrian tires, I think it looks fantastic!
Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice gUxrWF1

Jeep Wrangler JL Wheel & Tire Advice gUxrWF1
Welcome to the forum!

For instant looks improvement get a set of Rubicon takeoff wheels and tires and be done.

If you want new wheels, check out Quadratec-branded and AEV wheels. They look the best IMO, and are guaranteed to fit. Quadratec wheels offer excellent value and quality; AEV wheels are pricey but look like a million bucks.

Per new tires, I’d be looking at All Terrains. BFG KO2, General Grabber AT-X, Goodyear Duratrac, Falken Wildpeak are all excellent tires. They will give you the look you want, and more than the capability you will ever need.

Without a lift you can fit up to 285/70R17 (32.7 x 11.2 inches) without rubbing.

Good luck!
I bought a set of Gladiator Rubicon wheels and put KO2's on them. I'll use the original wrangler granite crystal wheels for my winter tires.

gUxrWF1.jpg
seriously though, if you want to save money do as Aldo has mentioned; go for the Rubi take-offs from a forum member in the Member Marketplace area.

OP
OP
jpatricka

jpatricka

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL SPORT S
I like the look of the Gladiator Overland 18” wheels and tires. Will this impact speedometer? Anything else to consider in going from 17” to 18”?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I like the look of the Gladiator Overland 18” wheels and tires. Will this impact speedometer? Anything else to consider in going from 17” to 18”?
Tire diameter, not wheel diameter, ultimately impacts speedometer reading.

FWIW, my JL came from the factory with the speedometer slightly off; it was showing that I was driving 1.5 MPH faster than I truly was. After increasing tire size by 1.1 inches in diameter, the speedometer is now spot-on!

Other than that, 18” tires tend to cost a little more than 17” tires, and the selection of 18” tires is more limited. Having said that, I haven’t had any issues finding excellent All Terrain tires that fit 18” rims.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s a handy website that allows you to visualize side-by-side different tire sizes, convert tire specs into actual dimensions in inches, explore what tire brands and treads are available in any given size, and the impact changing tire size can have on your speedo reading
https://tiresize.com/

Just keep in mind that to avoid rubbing without a lift, you want to keep:
  1. Tire diameter under 33” —or 33.2” with slight rub at extreme articulation
  2. Tire width under 11.2” (285 tires) on factory wheels

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Method Race Wheels and M/T’s! End Thread!
Sponsored