First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
I am eagerly awaiting the wheel I want to actually come into stock (seems like it's been out of stock since december - Hardrock Affliction H700), and am trying to dial in my tires. The place that I'm getting the lift installed (if/when that is ever in stock again) recommends Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires, but as luck would have it, virtually no one has them in stock.

I've always been a Toyo guy, but since 35's seem to be in E-rated world, it's recommended that the tires be pumped down to 30 psi, which would wear out the side lugs of the Toyo perhaps. Not to mention these things are pricey. My off roading isn't going to be all that substantial, maybe through a field to fish, or tailgate at a Penn State game...maybe through a stony mountain road. Nothing Moab-like.

Whatever tire I choose *needs* to be relatively nice (quiet) on the roads, handle wet and snow roads comfortably...those 2 things are musts, and preferably have a reasonably good treadwear life.

I was looking at the following tires, but tires are like women it appears. Tricky, deceiving and everyone has different tastes.

Kanati Trail Hog
Yokohama Geolander X-AT
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Obviously Falken and Toyo that I mentioned above
Goodyear Duratrac
Maybe even General Grabber (it comes in t a C, D, and E) though my history with General tires, albeit all-season hasn't been great.
Sponsored

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
You can get BFG K02 35" in a C rated tire (315/70R-17). They are stock Raptor tires. Quiet, long lasting, comfortable and rate well off road. They aren't great mud tires but no all terrain is. They are also 3 peak snow rated.

SG19JLUR

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My vote would also go to the KO2’s. I’ve had them on a previous Jeep and also on my current JLUR. They do very well in the rain and snow, they do decent off road until you get into really muddy situations, and they’re very quiet on the highway.

They are also light compared to other tires of the same size. This helps with acceleration and braking.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
For what it’s worth I run the Toyo open country AT2. I run them at 30psi and wheel pretty regularly. I rotate them every 5k miles. Wear is even and I see no issues with the side lugs wearing down. This is my first set of Toyos and am really impressed with them.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Just had these installed a few weeks ago. They are a fantastic tire, look great and are extremely quiet. The shop that I had them installed at is selling more of them than the beloved KO2s.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Check Goodyear Wrangler "Ultra-Terrain" and Cooper Discoverer MTP, both are exclusive @Discount Tire and are a bit less than their Duratrac and STT Pro counterparts, should be pretty light too!

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Thanks. I will check out the Ultra-Terrain and the Coopers. Problem is discount tire is anywhere near me...The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's are looking like a strong contender.

I'm trying to stay away from the KO2's. Buddy has them and feels like he's on ice when it rains.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thanks. I will check out the Ultra-Terrain and the Coopers. Problem is discount tire is anywhere near me...The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's are looking like a strong contender.

I'm trying to stay away from the KO2's. Buddy has them and feels like he's on ice when it rains.
They came stock on my jlur. I live in central Florida. We get PLENTY of rain and I've never had any problems with them. I'm on the stock 33" but still, 0 rain issues.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Dicount

Are your new wheels going to be 17s? Discounttiredirect will ship free to your house too!
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...nd-GDY:brands:brand-COP&sort=price-asc&page=0

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Probably 20’s. I know it’s a sore subject.

Sponsored

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Gotta say, we love our Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's. The 315/70/R17's are D rated and I got them for $206 per tire. The ride is very good, they aren't loud and they have performed very well off-road (what little I've done).

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Strange that the toyos are E. I run 37" toyo open country MT and they are D rated

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Love my AT3W's. I love them so much on my Jeep over the last 18 months, I just switched my truck to them. their rain & snow grip is better than any I have used in the past.

Only thing I cannot speak to is mileage. I have to replace tires due to age, not mileage on most of my vehicles.

my big factors were:
rain & snow traction (required the 3 peak symbol)
weight (only thing lighter than the AT3W that I found were the KO2s, but not by much)

while road noise was NOT something that I researched, these are very quiet at highway speed. (not that you can hear anything other than wind on a jeep:)

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
And follow-up question to the tires...

Will I need to regear my Sahara when I put the 35's on?