Sponsored

Throttle Control Options !$?

which throttle controller would you get?

• Total voters

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
My question is will these work for the 4xe? I find these interesting not just for the quicker response, but also for dialing in a slower response when driving in thick sand (which I do once a year on my beach week). But I wonder if the 4xe's electric intergration would somehow interfere?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Anyone running the HikeIt on the 3.6L with the 6 speed manual transmission? Any tips or setting recommendations?
Save your $. A throttle controller is a terrific addition IF you have an auto tranny, otherwise a waste of $.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Please dig deeper as to why. I already treated myself months ago and haven't installed it yet. Going to give it a shot since I already own it and if I don't like it I will put it on the Mrs. Jeep which is an auto.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Please dig deeper as to why. I already treated myself months ago and haven't installed it yet. Going to give it a shot since I already own it and if I don't like it I will put it on the Mrs. Jeep which is an auto.
With the stock setup, the flywheel is so light that it's hard to quickly reach the rpm you want to be at for a launch or a downshift. Or maybe I'm not that coordinated...

The throttle commander I tried made the throttle even more sensitive and ever harder to quickly grab my rpm of choice.
Now with my Centerforce clutch and flywheel, it revs slower in neutral and it's quite easy to launch where I want or rev-match a downshift. I don't know if a pedal commander would help or hurt at this point.

Rubicon.MI

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Marketing hoopla out of the way, the factory ECM responds to the voltage it senses on the throttle signal wire. The factory TPS sensor passes a progressively increasing (or decreasing depending on design) amount of voltage on to the ECM and the ECM responds accordingly.

The only thing these modules can do is take the voltage coming from the TPS sensor, modify it, then pass it on to the ECM. All you are doing is telling the ECM that the throttle pedal is in a different position than what it actually is. The vehicle may feel more powerful, because you get more throttle with less pedal movement, but nothing has actually changed or been improved.

I will give Pedal Commander credit that they cheerfully refunded my money. I bought it to try to reduce the rev hang, hoping it would cut throttle voltage faster than stock, but it had no effect. The rev hang is programmed into the ECM and would need a tuner to remove.
Have you ever found a tuner that will remove actual rev hang, really annoyed at this and you seem to be the only one I find tat has actually identified the real problem.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Have you ever found a tuner that will remove actual rev hang, really annoyed at this and you seem to be the only one I find tat has actually identified the real problem.
Livernoise started working on it, but they haven't been able to get a loaner Jeep for long enough to r&d a proper tune. I'd lend mine if I wasn't 1500 miles away

Rubicon.MI

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2-Door
Livernoise started working on it, but they haven't been able to get a loaner Jeep for long enough to r&d a proper tune. I'd lend mine if I wasn't 1500 miles away
I looked them up, there are here in Michigan with me. I will try to reach out to them.

Sponsored

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
This is my take on throttle commanders. I have the Hikeit X9. I have been running it for about 6 months. It has many different setting. From their web site
infography.jpg

The first time I took my wife for a ride with the Hikeit X9 installed, she said what the fuck did you do to the Jeep, followed up with I am NOT buying you new tires. Every person that has rode with me and I switched to Hi performance mode has been like WTF. It is like that.

I have messed with all of the setting and done a fair amount of off-roading with it installed. So I can't see anyone driving it around daily in Hi performance. My JLUR is on 37s and 5.13 gears. It is dam near impossible to take off with out spinning the tires or the Jeep lurching so hard that if you tried to park it or do any finesse driving, you are putting yourself and you Jeep in jeopardy. It pulls very hard. Using the Tazer 0 to 30 timer or 0 to 60 timer, the Hi performance mode is slower because it is so hard to lanch with out breaking the tires loose. Now for the cool thing about the Hi performance mode. If you are driving around and want to pass or instant more power, just touch the mode button and it defaults to Hi performance. The difference is immediately felt. You do not even have to apply more pedal, as the Jeep will take off.

I love the ec/4x4 mode set on 5. Set at the highest setting of 9 was to much. 5 feels great out on the trail and on the rocks. Id does not feel like you have to floor it to get over an obstacle, and the power delivery is smooth and predictable. Making braking and throttle inputs at the same time smooth. Love that setting. I often do normal driving in it. Sport is like Hi performance, just not as extreme. I used automatic for about a week straight, and just forgot about it. It improved overall responsiveness, but it attempts to anticipate your needs all the time and was not as consistent as I wanted. I think if I would have adjusted the setting from 1 to 9, I could have found a sweet spot.

With all of this said, there is something about driving the jeep around all tame and such and then touching the mode button and instantly going to Hi Performance mode. It is like changed the whole driving experience. Then when you pull out of a parking lot or away from a street light, you get reminded that those 37s mounted on beadlock wheels are expensive to replace and expensive to have mounted. So after a few moments of fun, I switch back to ec/4x4 mode, but still smile for a week.

I also caught mine on sale for $154

So I know you posted this along time ago but do you still have this? If so anything new takeaways? I am seriously considering getting a throttle controller and the HikeIt X9 is top on the list. Over the other brands.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I know you posted this along time ago but do you still have this? If so anything new takeaways? I am seriously considering getting a throttle controller and the HikeIt X9 is top on the list. Over the other brands.
I still have it and still use it and still love the adjustability. Just last weekend, I have a friend that bought a new JLUR and we were at a Jeep meet up and he was saying that he was not impressed with the stock throttle response of his new 2021 JLUR. I let him drive mine and showed him how to adjust the throttle controller. He drove it with each setting that I had set up. He was very impressed and ordered one when we got back from our short drive. The Hike X9 will sell itself as soon as you plug it in.

While I don't use the Hi performance setting or sport mode often, when ever I take the top and doors off, it goes into one of those modes. Make my lifted, 37 wearing JLUR feel like a hot rod as I am rollin with the wind in my hair. It just adds to the experience.

I still love how the Jeep wheels in ECO 4x4 mode. The Jeep is so forgiving while doing technical obstacles.

Ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I still have it and still use it and still love the adjustability. Just last weekend, I have a friend that bought a new JLUR and we were at a Jeep meet up and he was saying that he was not impressed with the stock throttle response of his new 2021 JLUR. I let him drive mine and showed him how to adjust the throttle controller. He drove it with each setting that I had set up. He was very impressed and ordered one when we got back from our short drive. The Hike X9 will sell itself as soon as you plug it in.

While I don't use the Hi performance setting or sport mode often, when ever I take the top and doors off, it goes into one of those modes. Make my lifted, 37 wearing JLUR feel like a hot rod as I am rollin with the wind in my hair. It just adds to the experience.

I still love how the Jeep wheels in ECO 4x4 mode. The Jeep is so forgiving while doing technical obstacles.
What modes to you use daily? I see you use eco/4x4 setting 5 for Offroad, but curious to know what you use daily. I just installed mine this afternoon. I normally drive about 15 miles each way to work ranging from 45-65 mph with about a half dozen traffic lights, so figuring out what modes would be best. I already had to take the double side tape off and use Velcro because it didn’t adhere well, the Velcro seems to be holding well.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I went with Banks Pedal Moster/Data Monster. It hooks up to the OBD2 and is also a code reader. Records data on SD card. One safety feature I liked is it doesn't mess with the throttle when in reverse. Another thing is you can also change tire size eliminating the need for the Tazer if that's all you need.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What modes to you use daily? I see you use eco/4x4 setting 5 for Offroad, but curious to know what you use daily. I just installed mine this afternoon. I normally drive about 15 miles each way to work ranging from 45-65 mph with about a half dozen traffic lights, so figuring out what modes would be best. I already had to take the double side tape off and use Velcro because it didn’t adhere well, the Velcro seems to be holding well.
I use the CO setting on 8 for my daily driving. It is the mode that smooths out cruise control and in theory help improve mileage while using cruise control.

Sometimes I just feel like zipping around and put it in sport mode. The top back, windows, down, maybe the doors and top off, music playing, makes the Jeep funner to drive.
Sponsored