Sponsored

Throttle Control Options !$?

which throttle controller would you get?

• Total voters

great.outdoors

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
FWIW: Banks will be making a throttle controller also: https://official.bankspower.com/insider_news/rd-banks-pedalmonster/

I went with a lesser-known brand for my 2017 wrangler and it WORKS WELL - around 170 bucks I believe.. I wanted something without all the confusing menus and 'modes', and it is from here in the USA

https://www.sawyertuning.com/?s=accelerator

I figured I'd take my chances on it as every other one I found was either too complicated for me or way overpriced. For me, $170 is better than the $300 retail of a commander or sprint booster! It has definitely made a noticeable difference in the drive.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Hikeit X9. Very easy to install, my 16 yr old son did it by himself. He likes it in Sport mode, I prefer Eco (level 5). I can definitely tell a difference between the different modes. Instant throttle response in Sport mode, actually snaps my head back if I give it heavy throttle. Eco mode is still more responsive than stock, but more controlled vs Sport mode. Never thought a throttle controller would help so much. Definitely a must buy.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
This is my take on throttle commanders. I have the Hikeit X9. I have been running it for about 6 months. It has many different setting. From their web site
infography.jpg

The first time I took my wife for a ride with the Hikeit X9 installed, she said what the fuck did you do to the Jeep, followed up with I am NOT buying you new tires. Every person that has rode with me and I switched to Hi performance mode has been like WTF. It is like that.

I have messed with all of the setting and done a fair amount of off-roading with it installed. So I can't see anyone driving it around daily in Hi performance. My JLUR is on 37s and 5.13 gears. It is dam near impossible to take off with out spinning the tires or the Jeep lurching so hard that if you tried to park it or do any finesse driving, you are putting yourself and you Jeep in jeopardy. It pulls very hard. Using the Tazer 0 to 30 timer or 0 to 60 timer, the Hi performance mode is slower because it is so hard to lanch with out breaking the tires loose. Now for the cool thing about the Hi performance mode. If you are driving around and want to pass or instant more power, just touch the mode button and it defaults to Hi performance. The difference is immediately felt. You do not even have to apply more pedal, as the Jeep will take off.

I love the ec/4x4 mode set on 5. Set at the highest setting of 9 was to much. 5 feels great out on the trail and on the rocks. Id does not feel like you have to floor it to get over an obstacle, and the power delivery is smooth and predictable. Making braking and throttle inputs at the same time smooth. Love that setting. I often do normal driving in it. Sport is like Hi performance, just not as extreme. I used automatic for about a week straight, and just forgot about it. It improved overall responsiveness, but it attempts to anticipate your needs all the time and was not as consistent as I wanted. I think if I would have adjusted the setting from 1 to 9, I could have found a sweet spot.

With all of this said, there is something about driving the jeep around all tame and such and then touching the mode button and instantly going to Hi Performance mode. It is like changed the whole driving experience. Then when you pull out of a parking lot or away from a street light, you get reminded that those 37s mounted on beadlock wheels are expensive to replace and expensive to have mounted. So after a few moments of fun, I switch back to ec/4x4 mode, but still smile for a week.

I also caught mine on sale for $154

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Want to reduce turbo lag add a second turbo. That's why companies like Audi use twin turbos. Or put on a big supercharger. Or both. Now you're getting me excited. Might cost a little more than $299 though. But to hell with cost. Go with a Hellcat supercharged hemi. I just got an idea on what to spend my stimulus money on - the kids don't need to eat this month. Thanks for getting my mind going.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
What did you notice for MPG changes?
I don't know if it saved any fuel. It states up to 30% off road, but most of our stuff is just above idle for most trail. Rarely are are we over 20 mph. What I liked about the EC4x4 mode is that the throttle input is mild so you can gradually and predicably increase throttle. It makes the the throttle super smooth with out dead spot or sudden surges..

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm selling my pedal commander if anyone is interested. I used it for 3 months without any issues. 170 delivered

bgj1010

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Systems Engineer - Manager
OK... So I was looking to add a throttle control module to my 2018 2dr Rubicon 2.0 Turbo. A lot of people with the turbos complain about Turbo Lag but in all honesty I think 90% of the delay is throttle lag with the fly by wire gas pedal. So I decided to start researching products and pricing and discovered there wasn't very much on the subject here on the forum so I decided to start this Thread.
So far I've found 4 different units with different prices and feature/benefits. Here is a list of a few that I've looked at with pricing and features but I would love other people's feedback and experiences as well.

Pedal Commander $299.99
Seems to have the most features but is the highest priced and bulky compared to the others. Bluetooth seems cool but I really don't want to mess with a phone app to set the throttle control. Features can be controlled on the box but like I stated, it's bulky and personally I think its a bit tacky to mount to my interior. It also wires back to the pedal. Tons of settings but seems like overkill.
USA company, product Made in Turkey.

Sprint Booster V3 $289.99

simple operation... 3 settings... off/factory, Sport, and Race. Both Sport and Race mode have 9 settings. Interface is wired but small and I like the Red digital numbers since I drive a Rubi with red trim. USA Company, product Made in Greece

iDrive EVC $229.99

Similar to Sprint Booster, small and sleek. 2 modes Eco and Ultimate. Both with 9 settings. Don't care for the blue digital read out but definitely like the silver face plate and additional color face plates can be purchased. Cheaper product but with less features. iDriveUSA is a USA company but I'm not sure where the unit is made. I've heard China but don't quote me on that. I'll edit if someone can correct me.

Hikeit X9 $199.99
This is a new one that has been popping up on my FB and Instagram feeds. It seems to be very similar to the iDrive but with more settings like the Pedal Commander (PC). 4 settings with 9 levels like the PC. HIKEit (maximum acceleration), Cruise (for everyday driving), Sport/Tow, and Eco/4x4. Seems very comparable featurewise to the PC without the Bluetooth. Also available with colored face plate of your choosing instead of an add on cost.
USA company, Chip made in Europe?

I'm sure I'm missing other products and forgetting other details about the products listed but here is where I'm leaning....
I'm leaning towards the Sprint Booster V3 or the HIKEit X9. The Sprint has a nice design and I've seen the demo video and its very impressive. I like the simplicity of it. I also like the iDrive but the HIKEit is priced better and looks very similar but with the PC features. I think the higher cost of the PC is mostly due to the Bluetooth which isn't that big of a selling point for me. The Hikeit seems to be the biggest bang for the buck minus the bluetooth. However do I really need 36 different settings? I'm sure that somewhere some of the settings are identical to other mode settings. Also, until recently I haven't heard or seen anything about HIKEit. It could be a piece of garbage for all I know. I was hoping to find out more about it or see some reviews.
Anyway, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, opinions and yes even arguments. lol.

Sprint_Booster_vs_Pedal_Commander.png

Dsc_1870.jpg

faceplate-Red.jpg

faceplate-Black.jpg
What about the Superchips - Amp'd Throttle Booster? They have two; one with a controller with unnecessary settings (400% boost is unrealistic and unnecessary) and one that is a fixed mount near the pedal. I chose the cheaper, fixed unit. It offers 50 and 100% boost. I tried 100 for a few days, way too finicky and too much boost. Lighting up my 35s isn't what I want to do! Dialed back to 50% adn haven't looked back. Super responsive, not expensive and it was a simple plug n play with a little initial calibration.

OP
OP
emoody007

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What about the Superchips - Amp'd Throttle Booster? They have two; one with a controller with unnecessary settings (400% boost is unrealistic and unnecessary) and one that is a fixed mount near the pedal. I chose the cheaper, fixed unit. It offers 50 and 100% boost. I tried 100 for a few days, way too finicky and too much boost. Lighting up my 35s isn't what I want to do! Dialed back to 50% adn haven't looked back. Super responsive, not expensive and it was a simple plug n play with a little initial calibration.
I'm not sure that option was available or not when I created this post. However if you're happy with it, it sounds like a viable option. What's the price range?

Superchips_Mrktg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL

Sponsored

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
I bought @m3reno 's pedal commander (btw thanks man!) and it's made a huge difference in the performance of my Jeep. First and foremost it got rid of pedal lag, which led to better controlled down shifts. This was a HUGE problem in my JLU. I will say that it does still want to be in 8th gear any speed over 50, but that's better than it doing it at 40!!! (and than dropping three gears when the throttle finally caught up with my foot, making it sound like I was trying to race everyone) I am really happy with how the Pedal Commander has worked out for me and for sure if you have the same lag issue I did, this will fix it. I do not see any gas savings. I think when they talk about that they are referring to running it in ECO mode. Something I will never do.

And to add to what @wibornz said- "sport mode" is pretty crazy, "sport +" mode is damn nuts! hahahaha

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Seems there is a code to get 2 Hikeit X9 controllers for $200. BUY1GET1 seems to work in the cart. In case there are two owners wanting to get them you can give it a try.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Seems there is a code to get 2 Hikeit X9 controllers for $200. BUY1GET1 seems to work in the cart. In case there are two owners wanting to get them you can give it a try.
If anyone is interested in this shoot me a PM. I tried to go in on it with a buddy but it seems you can’t mix and match (he has a JK). It’d be $102.50 for one.

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had the sprint booster mounted to a different 8 speed auto trans vehicle. With the 8 spd auto on that vehicle, it took a lot of throttle pressure to make it down shift out of 8th gear to pass. The sprint booster helped because i could tune the throttle to work better with the auto trans and make it down shift with less throttle pressure, which made it feel much more responsive and fun to drive.
That's why i think it is a better option for those with an auto transmission.
So far I haven't had this problem with the Jeep, so i haven't bought one, but for those with modifications that cause upshift or downshifts on the auto trans to feel awkward, this is probably a good thing to try.
Also, detuning for more precise throttle control during wheeling makes sense if you find this a problem. These things do work!

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone is interested in this shoot me a PM. I tried to go in on it with a buddy but it seems you can’t mix and match (he has a JK). It’d be $102.50 for one.
Darn it! Just tried to code and said it was expired. Might hold out and see if they offer a Black Friday deal or something. Please post again if you hear about another deal like that.
Sponsored