OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
Is steel truly that bad?! I get the weight and safety part, but for my needs (keep in mind my wheeling isn’t crazy hardcore or very often due to kids, work and life LOL) I feel like it’ll work, is strong, and is more in my budget. Plus the maintenance and possible fraying on rocks, trees, etc on synthetic seemed more. Would have loved to have gotten something lighter for sure but truly for what I do $500 or more definitely wasn’t worth it, for me at least. The one that was cheaper and synthetic I didn’t feel confident in. This seemed like a good option, great reviews, works well, not the newest version but I’m ok with that... the weight difference was abut 15 pounds so not horrible. For those who are using steel are you happy with it when you’ve used it and when it’s just hanging on your bumper? Mine arrives tomorrow so I’m hopeful I’ll like it and the weight will not be overly noticeable 🤷‍♀️ Is it relatively easy to switch out to synthetic should I choose that route eventually?Again first winch purchase, just trying to understand more! Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just having a winch makes you a popular person, it is truly amazing the things you can do with one. I have hoisted up hunting stands and houses, more than my fair share of deer, pulled down many trees and moved many other peoples vehicles. Get lots of free beer. I get call a lot for help by my friends because they know my winch will make things easy for them and we all have fun with the project.
Didn’t even think about the other things I can use my winch for- thanks for pointing that out!!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
A big thumbs up for a kinetic rope over a tow strap. Way easier on your Jeep for pulling others and for others pulling you out. Note: I carry both. I use the tow strap to extend my winch line or to tow after I have pulled a disabled vehicle out.

Just know that because you don't do something today, does not mean that you will not do it in the future. As you explore and become more experienced, the things that you though you would never do become a common place. So buy once and cry once. If you're buying a winch, get the synthetic rope. If that means waiting a month or two or three, then wait to buy it. The safety value alone is worth it. If you break the synthetic rope, it falls to the ground. A steel cable can throw a d-ring through your radiator or through the windshield and passenger compartment. Just spend sometime on YouTube watching winch cable failures. If you do break the synthetic rope, you can repair it in less then a minute with a splicing tool.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
FWIW, I purchased the RR 10k w/ synth and have been rly happy with it. I use it about as much as you would expect, for that it holds up well.

I considered the Warn and Ramsey as I wanted to buy 🇺🇸, but the cost/use comparison as well as the features I wanted (10k/synthetic line) just didn’t add up to a value in my situation.

So 🇨🇳 it is and in doing so found the RR the best budget friendly. Only complaint is the clutch handle is showing blemishes due to me being near the beach, but not much is going to look new for long here anyway.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, I purchased the RR 10k w/ synth and have been rly happy with it. I use it about as much as you would expect, for that it holds up well.

I considered the Warn and Ramsey as I wanted to buy 🇺🇸, but the cost/use comparison as well as the features I wanted (10k/synthetic line) just didn’t add up to a value in my situation.

So 🇨🇳 it is and in doing so found the RR the best budget friendly. Only complaint is the clutch handle is showing blemishes due to me being near the beach, but not much is going to look new for long here anyway.
It came down to the RC synthetic and the one I ultimately purchased, not without thinking a lot about it! Definitely an excellent price for a synthetic winch for sure. Glad to hear you’ve been happy with yours! I’ll figure it out when it comes today.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is steel truly that bad?! I get the weight and safety part, but for my needs (keep in mind my wheeling isn’t crazy hardcore or very often due to kids, work and life LOL) I feel like it’ll work, is strong, and is more in my budget. Plus the maintenance and possible fraying on rocks, trees, etc on synthetic seemed more. Would have loved to have gotten something lighter for sure but truly for what I do $500 or more definitely wasn’t worth it, for me at least. The one that was cheaper and synthetic I didn’t feel confident in. This seemed like a good option, great reviews, works well, not the newest version but I’m ok with that... the weight difference was abut 15 pounds so not horrible. For those who are using steel are you happy with it when you’ve used it and when it’s just hanging on your bumper? Mine arrives tomorrow so I’m hopeful I’ll like it and the weight will not be overly noticeable 🤷‍♀️ Is it relatively easy to switch out to synthetic should I choose that route eventually?Again first winch purchase, just trying to understand more! Thanks!
It is not bad, lots of people use steel cable. If it's muddy and uphill, you'll appreciate a synthetic line instead of a steel cable. It doesnt have to be immediately, just whenever you can. A synthetic line is about $100, fairlead $30-50, and install is pretty simple, usually just one small screw on the drum keeping a tab from the rope attached.

Oh and since it's your first winch, keep in mind when winching never to let out too much line, which is marked by a stretch if red cable/rope on the wrap closest to the drum.

OP
OP
steelerpsugirl

steelerpsugirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is not bad, lots of people use steel cable. If it's muddy and uphill, you'll appreciate a synthetic line instead of a steel cable. It doesnt have to be immediately, just whenever you can. A synthetic line is about $100, fairlead $30-50, and install is pretty simple, usually just one small screw on the drum keeping a tab from the rope attached.

Oh and since it's your first winch, keep in mind when winching never to let out too much line, which is marked by a stretch if red cable/rope on the wrap closest to the drum.
thank for the tip- keep them coming I’m watching video after video after video lol! Want to be prepped. I’ve been looking into cost to replace with synthetic when I’m ready and you’re right, not bad at all. Probably the route I will take in the next 6 months Or so or if the weight is a noticeable thing. Appreciate the pointers and help! Lots to learn with this for sure.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
thank for the tip- keep them coming I’m watching video after video after video lol! Want to be prepped. I’ve been looking into cost to replace with synthetic when I’m ready and you’re right, not bad at all. Probably the route I will take in the next 6 months Or so or if the weight is a noticeable thing. Appreciate the pointers and help! Lots to learn with this for sure.
You'll be fine. You'll see the difference on the first time you use the winch: which should be on dry pavement with a slight incline. During my winch install I accidentally loosened the tension on the steel cable so was re-spooling pretty soon after the install.

The_Paper_Cut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport 2-Door
I’d say get a winch, especially if you think you’ll ever want to do more moderate trails. It’ll save your Jeep or someone else’s from a very expensive tow. Me and my buddy have used ours 2 times now, once because he got stuck and another time because a random person on the trail was stuck, and the trails weren’t even that difficult.

I’ve heard good things about the smittybilt one.

I recommend getting a synthetic line though. It’s a lot safer, and you can fit more length on the spool.

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
My plan is to eventually switch out to a synthetic rope if needed in the future as well. Couldn’t resist the price on this one
I still have the original STEEL cable on my Warn XD9000i winch on the front of my '98 TJ since 2000. Used it dozens of times on and off-road caked in mud, submerged, ice encrusted etc for myself, dozens of times on-road for others that slid off the road in snow/ice and probably more times for landscaping chores around the house. STEEL cable is fine and will last the test of time as long as you learn and understand how to winch properly and maintain it correctly. Not knocking synthetic as it is lighter and easier to handle and repair, but STEEL fine.

Don't let the internet gurus pressure you in to believing that you will maim yourself and others simply because you run STEEL. The added weight of STEEL is not going to even cost you one MPG.

I personally have never seen a wrecker/roll back or piece of industrial equipment run synthetic line, and there is a reason. Heck those guys never even use a winch line dampner and a doubt most maintain their winches and line.

Learn how to use it properly, weight the line, stand clear, wind it properly, clean it and maintain it, and then inspect it periodically and Be Safe - you won't have any problems. Make sure you practice using it a few times before you get stuck!

Spend that extra money saved for the synthetic line now on good heavy gloves and other recovery gear to maximize the use of that new winch.

Later on if you decide to run synthetic, go for it!

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I personally have never seen a wrecker/roll back or piece of industrial equipment run synthetic line, and there is a reason.
around the mountains of Eastern KY the folks who do most off-road recovery only use synthetic line. Wreckers pull vehicles in a primarily straight line, dont use snatch blocks, and have WAY more pulling power and thicker cables than is on an bumper mounted electric winch

Pepe My Little Mule

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Jeep 4.7L; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
around the mountains of Eastern KY the folks who do most off-road recovery only use synthetic line. Wreckers pull vehicles in a primarily straight line, don,t use snatch blocks, and have WAY more pulling power and thicker cables than is on an bumper mounted electric winch
Yep, never seen a tow operator use a snatch block either. Ha, probably because of those damn straight line pulls and be parked right in front of the stuck vehicle and all that, why would they right? When I do my annual wheeling/camping trips around Harlan most of the locals still run steel, although each year I see more and more synthetic, especially on newer vehicles. But then again, most of those newer winches with that syntho line look like they never have been used. let alone off-roaded.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Yep, never seen a tow operator use a snatch block either. Ha, probably because of those damn straight line pulls and be parked right in front of the stuck vehicle and all that, why would they right? When I do my annual wheeling/camping trips around Harlan most of the locals still run steel, although each year I see more and more synthetic, especially on newer vehicles. But then again, most of those newer winches with that syntho line look like they never have been used. let alone off-roaded.
I hear ya. Yes lots of folks trying to ditch their mall crawler status lol.

Steel is probably more popular around Harlan, I was thinking more or the Red River Gorge area.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Here is my complete winch/recovery kit currently, used this forum to get all the different pieces haven't mounted everything yet the pics will be soon
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches winch

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Here is my complete winch/recovery kit currently, used this forum to get all the different pieces haven't mounted everything yet the pics will be soon
Jeep Wrangler JL Thoughts about winches winch
Ouch on that winch price. Got mine on sale from 4WP for $330 for the steel cable version. Synthetic line was about $100 and fairlead was another $50
Sponsored