Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
This picture comes from Jerry's @Jebiruph 's well received post on the fob key's detension:

fob pieces.jpg

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/fob-key-detension.15896/

My question, I admit born of ignorance, is why can't a fob, especially one sans the physical key, be made not much bigger than the electronics inside FCA's fob shown above?

Are not all fobs, from the basic Sport's to the auto start rig one's the same size even if different in the number of buttons?

And ok, the battery's removed in Jerry's picture, so maybe a 3rd party fob needs to be somewhat wider than just the fob's electronics to accommodate the battery.

I realize the circuitry may be proprietary and therefore not reproduceable even at a smaller size in the aftermarket. But given what we have from FCA, can't we make a smaller encapsulating device around these electronics?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Well, I'll try to tackle this. Yes, all fobs are the same size AFAIK. Battery fits inside that grey surround so that's not what causes it to be wider. The Key appears to be culprit but it's not - just compared it to our '16 Honda. Same thickness and yet longer.

My only conclusions are: the circuit board is hardly used. Lots of empty space. Why would they make it so large. Maybe it's really cheap that way because - have you ever seen a late model Mercedes or BMW fob - large as well. So that brings me to my 2nd guess that Jeep wanted every bit out of this new Wrangler so they followed suit to show boldness as well? So it's a marketing thing- bad @ss Jeep, big @ss key.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I have large hands and the fob is a good fit. I’m actually enjoying listening to people complain because they don’t like the size of something. I’ve had to live my life with things made so small I end up fumbling with them. The shoe is on the other foot this time, and it fits.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Looks like a mini jerrycan.

My only gripe is owners of the Sport with manual locks are forced to carry this large fob for no other reason than the push start ignition.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
The fob could have been notably smaller if the metal key would fold flat against the case side instead of 'knife blading' into the case on its edge.

If Jeep would have made keyless entry standard as it is on almost every other new car made, they could have ditched the folding key 'feature' altogether and made the fob a lot smaller, even with the same IC board.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I think everyone above has made excellent points based on their own opinions. But here is where I am going.

Say you wish the fob smaller. This may not be you.

Say the size of the fob was purely born of aesthetics and not, as Greg has suggested @Neanderthalman , a product of functional necessity.

Given that, especially if the physical key is not included, I am lost as to why the aftermarket couldn't make a fob that merely encapsulates the battery and FCA electronics, irrespective of whether the circuit board could or should be made smaller. And to Darrell's @Firecracker18 point, it sounds like even with the physical key included, a smaller fob could be designed.

I completely get plausible aesthetic design intentions for FCA to make the fob larger than it need be. I completely get that many don't mind it and even like its size: in fact I tend to fall into the former of these two categories.

I completely get that, if I may paint with very broad strokes, the female owning segment that might lack pockets (e.g. say a woman is wearing a dress) on any given day likely also carries a handbag that makes the fob's size a non starter.

I just wonder way the aftermarket couldn't make the "Mazda Miata" of fobs for the existing electronics.:)

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Someone will 3d print a smaller, non-metal-key-containing replacement fob case at some point. It's just too easy.
  1. Scan existing case halves into an STL file.
  2. Edit the STL file: trim off metal key section and other extraneous area, insert new holes to fasten halves together,
  3. Print STL file,
  4. Insert existing circuit board/battery into 3d printed case and fasten. Done.

Keep the flat metal key hidden somewhere on the vehicle or in your wallet for emergencies.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Someone will 3d print a smaller, non-metal-key-containing replacement fob case at some point. It's just too easy.
  1. Scan existing case halves into an STL file.
  2. Edit the STL file: trim off metal key section and other extraneous area, insert new holes to fasten halves together,
  3. Print STL file,
  4. Insert existing circuit board/battery into 3d printed case and fasten. Done.

Keep the flat metal key hidden somewhere on the vehicle or in your wallet for emergencies.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too Kent @Kent5, and yet, at least Adam Truckey's isn't going to be that much smaller than the FCA one--albeit even if it includes the key.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/finally-a-smaller-key-fob.20609/

(I do appreciate that the plastic needs some space around the circuit board.)

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
My emails with Mr Truckey have me conclude him to be a smart/good guy.

I trust it isn't lost on him the irony that a man whose last name is "Truckey" makes "truck keys." :)

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So that brings me to my 2nd guess that Jeep wanted every bit out of this new Wrangler so they followed suit to show boldness as well? So it's a marketing thing- bad @ss Jeep, big @ss key.
This was my first inclination when I went on a test drive. I'd be shocked if Ford/Chevy/Ram didn't start making huge fobs for the lifted diesel types to holster.
Remember when cell phone coolness was based on how small they were? Now I can't tell phones from tablets.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara