Sponsored

Third row seat?

jlrocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ6
I'd love to be able to add a third row seat. Should that be possible?
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd love to be able to add a third row seat. Should that be possible?
I have one for my JK. It was made by a company called Littleseats. I'm not sure if they still exist, but the seat is great! They also had a single seat option that folded out of the way, like a Land Rover Discovery. I'll have to dig deep to find a picture of the JK with this. I took a trip to Colorado back in 08 or 09 with my wife, 6 kids (we've grown since then) and while towing a pop-up camper. For all the crap people give the 3.8, it did just fine with all that load. People couldn't believe it when we'd all get out of that Jeep!

Prevok

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Punk'N 2.0T 2018
Occupation
IT Tech Lead in the video game industry
Vehicle Showcase
As DanW mentioned, aftermarket has taken care of that on the JK, so it's likely there will be options for the JL as well.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that the Wrangler has not been designed to sit people in the cargo area. It's fair to assume that in an accident, the third row will be least protected by the vehicle structure. From a practicality standpoint, it's going to be amazing, but from a security standpoint, your guess is as good as mine.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it’s been done for the JK, and probably will be for the JL as well in time. I am sure you could have one mocked up yourself using smaller back seats from a TJ or a YJ. Once you find a seat you like, you need to have a reinforcement bracket under the tub of the rear to help secure it as you wouldn’t be able to just bolt it to the floor.

Also another thing to think about is how to extend the roll cage. Maybe a removable extension from the rear roll cage that can be easily removed when the third row is not in use. Just some thoughts if you were to go about this on your own.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have one for my JK. It was made by a company called Littleseats. I'm not sure if they still exist, but the seat is great! They also had a single seat option that folded out of the way, like a Land Rover Discovery. I'll have to dig deep to find a picture of the JK with this. I took a trip to Colorado back in 08 or 09 with my wife, 6 kids (we've grown since then) and while towing a pop-up camper. For all the crap people give the 3.8, it did just fine with all that load. People couldn't believe it when we'd all get out of that Jeep!
Pics?

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I had a flip/tumble seat from a 2dr JK in the back of my JKU. It was nice because it easily lifted out or tumbled forward when I needed the space. There is a company that makes a bolt on sport bar extension for the JK(Teraflex made the bracket the mount the seat in the JKU)
I planned on using it mostly for off-road trips so the whole family could be in the Jeep rather than waiting at the campsite. I ended up selling the Jeep before I felt my youngest was old enough to go with us.

3rd3_zpsjtzprqev.jpg
3rd1_zps10iduptv.jpg

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Yes but it is a different website...
They came on the Jay Leno car show

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As DanW mentioned, aftermarket has taken care of that on the JK, so it's likely there will be options for the JL as well.

The only thing you need to be aware of is that the Wrangler has not been designed to sit people in the cargo area. It's fair to assume that in an accident, the third row will be least protected by the vehicle structure. From a practicality standpoint, it's going to be amazing, but from a security standpoint, your guess is as good as mine.
Yes, there has been no crash testing, so it is a risk you need to understand before you take it. That said, the Littleseats meet DOT standards and have safety belts with shoulder belts and headrests. It bolts to the Jeep with anchors and grade 8 bolts, so it won't go anywhere. They certainly seem safer than the way I used to ride around as a kid in the third row seat of my Dad's old Chevy wagon with no belts! (Gosh we were lucky to live through childhood in those days!) I also have seen Jeeps rear-ended hard and did not see the cargo area crush, so it doesn't appear to be a crumple zone. That's just my amateur assessment, so don't take my word for any of it. Go at your own risk. I only bought it for the Colorado trip and have rarely used it since. It sits in my garage, as we speak,

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I had a flip/tumble seat from a 2dr JK in the back of my JKU. It was nice because it easily lifted out or tumbled forward when I needed the space. There is a company that makes a bolt on sport bar extension for the JK(Teraflex made the bracket the mount the seat in the JKU)
I planned on using it mostly for off-road trips so the whole family could be in the Jeep rather than waiting at the campsite. I ended up selling the Jeep before I felt my youngest was old enough to go with us.

3rd3_zpsjtzprqev.jpg
3rd1_zps10iduptv.jpg

That is an awesome looking solution!
Sponsored