First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
For best value, would opt for the Willy’s.
For more long distance freeway driving, would go Sahara.

Rubicon looks awesome, but overkill for some folks needs
..including mine.

I am on my 3rd Wrangler. First one in the late 90s. Second a JL Sport, and third a Rubicon.

DB2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Sahara Altitude, 12 VW Beetle, 08 Honda Fit
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Security & Architecture
Order any model you want
you can’t go wrong! 😀👍đŸ‡ș🇾

OP
OP

Rick's Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cybertruck
Not to go off-topic, but your "vehicles" answer says "Cybertruck". Such an animal doesn't exist in the wild yet.

+1 on the full Willy's.
True, I have a deposit on the CT... it would be cool to have a spaceship if they ever make the damn thing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rick's Jeep

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cybertruck
On the Jeep website if you look at the model comparison page it says under features that a Willys is

• Available Xtreme Recon Package with 35-Inch Tires
But when I click on build and check all the options I want this package doesn't show up?

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2 door sport S with alot of the features of a loaded willys. Limited slip is key. Get a hardtop so you get the rear window defrost with the heated mirrors. I added heated seats and remote start aftermarket and they are the two of the best features for winter.

The 2 door is less stable on icy snowy roads but good tires make a huge difference. I run falken AT3W in 285/70-17 on rubicon springs and its a snow beast!

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
I hate to be a contrarian. Well, no, I don't. But, anyway, I have a JLR (2dr Rubicon) with an 8 speed auto and a solid top and you should think about that combination. You live in far upstate NY right down the alley to get lake effect snows; you're doing an especially tricky type of near off-roading every winter whether you recognize it or not. A Rubicon provides the most off-road bells and whistles, heaviest stock axles, I believe an AWD option, and all the controls, without having to rebuild it yourself and get it done before the next snowfall and I can attest to the smooth power application from the 8 speed and the nice warmth you'll enjoy with the solid top. But, the Willys does give you personality, identity, and image.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
On the Jeep website if you look at the model comparison page it says under features that a Willys is

But when I click on build and check all the options I want this package doesn't show up?
You can get XR package (4DR ONLY). Check out order guide in pricing section. The Jeep website is behind on many things.

Last edited:

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t do it Rick. Jeeps are basically an addiction. You start small and then before you know it you are upgrading every last part. Don’t believe me, ask @Jeepeto on this thread. Here he was with his 2dr sport like you are looking at enjoying it like crazy and now he is in a $70K 4dr monster with all kinds of goodies strapped on. I AM TOTALLY KIDDING 😂
You will love the JL platform. I had an older TJ that was great but after driving a JLU, I had to upgrade đŸ‘đŸ»
I think Willys as mentioned is an awesome package for what you get.
Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking about getting a wrangler only-one-there-can-be-only-one
Jeep Wrangler JL Thinking about getting a wrangler AstonishingUnfortunateBongo-max-1mb

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Go test drive different versions if that's possible.

I'm certain you'll be with happy with whatever you choose though. No matter which one you get, you'll be doing that dance we all do creating the perfect Jeep.

Go ahead and go for those options like LED headlights, auxiliary switches, tow package, cold weather group and etc. You'll be wishing you had them later.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Yup. Definitely do a test drive. You might want to test drive a four door too. The longer wheelbase is more stable.

Given that you’re in upstate New York, I would advise picking the hard top. The hard tops will help insulate the cabin from cold, making it easier to raise and maintain comfortable temperature. (headliner option not needed). You’ll also get the additional benefit of a quieter cabin, and won’t have to worry about brushing off large amounts of snow to maintain the tops’ durability. Lastly, getting things out the back is much easier with a hard top.

The anti-spin LSD will be useful in the snow. I recommend it, assuming you decide on a Willys, Sport or Sahara.

Rubicon is overkill if you have no intention of off roading. If it was my money, I’d go with a bare bones Sport model, and immediately purchase/swap for a set of three peak snow rated tire.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I hate to be a contrarian. Well, no, I don't. But, anyway, I have a JLR (2dr Rubicon) with an 8 speed auto and a solid top and you should think about that combination. You live in far upstate NY right down the alley to get lake effect snows; you're doing an especially tricky type of near off-roading every winter whether you recognize it or not. A Rubicon provides the most off-road bells and whistles, heaviest stock axles, I believe an AWD option, and all the controls, without having to rebuild it yourself and get it done before the next snowfall and I can attest to the smooth power application from the 8 speed and the nice warmth you'll enjoy with the solid top. But, the Willys does give you personality, identity, and image.
Yep— get the best then you won’t be spending money to upgrade (warranty issues) ore trade up before long! Especially the 4 auto in snow country.😊

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you’re looking at 2 doors, you can’t get the XR package.

mark203

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys XR
Clubs

That configuration is available on the Unlimited (4 door), it just isn't showing up in the online configurator. I have one on order, no issues, and even though I am in the Pacific Northwest now, my choices were certainly affected by my experience living in the Rochester, NY area a few years, and going to school in the North Country many years before that. Though I'd have to add that back then (early 1970s) it took a LOT of snow to stop my '66 VW Beetle *smile*

However as of right now, the XR package is not available on the two door.
Sponsored