Sponsored

Hello all!! New here and thinking about getting a Jeep!

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Hey everyone! I am finally looking to get myself a Jeep and have been looking at the Rubicon. When building out a Rubicon I noticed that I can't select the 3.0L EcoDiesel AND the Xtreme Recon Tire Package. Just curious if there is an obvious reason why that isn't possible to have that engine and the tire/suspension package? Thanks everyone and hoping to get everything all figured out and get my Jeep ordered within the next day or so.
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
There's no reason that I know of why Jeep couldn't offer the XR + diesel. But for the time being, they simply don't.

Currently: Rubicon + XR + eTorque V6 + 8-seed auto OR XR + 392.

Soon: Rubicon + XR + ESS V6 + manual.

All three of the above are confirmed by Jeep. Will we get the XR on other trims? Seems unlikely. Will we get it with the diesel, turbo 4, or 4xe? Stay tuned!

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Oh man. First off - welcome!

A few things/tips that helped me:
  1. Know that the online build tool is notoriously out of date and slow to update. It's useful as a starting point, but ultimately to order you'll need to work with a dealer and use the order guides.
    1. You can get those here (they usually update on/around the 15th of the month): https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...wrangler-jl-and-jlu-order-guides.52367/unread
  2. You'll also want to read this post, it's incredibly helpful: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/unread
  3. The order banks for 2021 just closed today, so you'll need to wait till ~early October when the 2022 order banks open. There will likely be some small changes here and there, but overall 2022 is not expected to be a big overhaul or anything.
  4. This is a great resource for finding a dealership that'll give you the best deal: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/recommended-dealers-list.1227/unread
I wouldn't be surprised if they extended the Xtreme Recon package to other engines for MY2022, so you may be rewarded for your patience.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
It's possible, just not from the factory šŸ˜‹ Good info above already but as a current sufferer of '3.6L regret', get the 3.0 and do the lift and tires after.

OP
OP

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Thank you all for the quick replies! That was going to be my next question is if it would be better to just get the diesel and then price out the Xtreme Recon package on my own and do it with aftermarket parts and possibly even save money over getting it done at the dealership?

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Thank you all for the quick replies! That was going to be my next question is if it would be better to just get the diesel and then price out the Xtreme Recon package on my own and do it with aftermarket parts and possibly even save money over getting it done at the dealership?
You will not save money by adding all the XR parts aftermarket.

I would encourage you to thoroughly research the diesel before buying.

OP
OP

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Thanks again @LongTimeListener. Is there something specific that might pop up in regards to the diesel? I currently have a 2005 Excursion and know very well the pains and maintenance frustrations of owning a diesel. LOL! But I sure do love my Ex even when I am cussing it out while replacing an HPOP or whatever else might be going on with the temperamental thing. LOL!

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
You won't really save money but if you have to pick one over the other it's less expensive to do a lift and tires than it is to do a diesel swap. The real question is how bad do you want the diesel? I plan to tow 2k trailer between 7-10k miles next year, I wish I had the diesel but that's just me.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I am a first time jeep owner - found a diesel on the lot in a Rubicon with all the features and more than I thought I needed. First Jeep, First diesel and I have no regrets. Not sure if that helps.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For $4,000, which is the price of the Xtreme package, you can easily get a Mopar lift professionally installed, a nice set of 17 x 8.5 wheels and 35-inch tires.

I wouldn't sweat over it. Order the things that are hard to add aftermarket. A lift, wheels and tires aren't difficult. This ain't Land Rover... :LOL:

Good luck!

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Welcome!!

Since you already. . . " know very well the pains and maintenance frustrations of owning a diesel. " Have at it. Those reasons are exactly why I'm sticking with gas. Love my 3.6 eTorque. It's been flawless so far. I'm coming from years of Tacoma's and this Jeep is better in every way.

G.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
For $4,000, which is the price of the Xtreme package, you can easily get a Mopar lift professionally installed, a nice set of 17 x 8.5 wheels and 35-inch tires.
Now do the 4.56 gears, bigger brakes, beefier front axle, fender extensions, etc.

OP
OP

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Or maybe if I just get the Rubicon with the diesel and then later on communicate with the dealership that I would like the XR package and see if they can work out a deal with me to install it at a later date?

OP
OP

Krypt0_Gh0st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L Turbo
Ok experts! I have been racking my brain on so many different combinations of Jeeps and also the limited inventory is a bit frustrating as well. I simply don't want to wait ~4 months to get the EXACT one that I want and since this will be my first Jeep I am currently considering a Sahara over the Rubicon (again..due to inventory limitations mostly). There is a Sahara that is the color and has all of the options that I want as well as the 3.0 Diesel. Question is.. will I be disappointed in the Sahara and find myself wanting the add electronic sway bar...locking diffs...etc that the Rubicon adds if I don't do any really heavy off roading or rock climbing currently? Is there THAT much of a gap between the 2 models and offerings?

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
I overland a lot and use the e-disco all the time. Itā€™s not just for hardcore crawling. Itā€™s great on moderate trails to smooth out the ride and keep the body level.

I have friends who say you can just add manual quick disconnects. Thatā€™s true, but they ALMOST NEVER use them. Stopping to crawl under your Jeep and zip-tie your sway bar to the frame just isnā€™t the same as pushing a button. As a result, most of them never bother. YMMV.

I use the rear locker occasionally. Iā€™ve used the front locker maybe five times ever.
Sponsored