Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Makes me wonder what Ferrari will do.
Check out the Formula 1 Ferrari, I believe it has a little electric going on in there. It's not new to them, it's about the market and will people buy. I would bet they have a car in testing
Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
None of us really “NEED” a V8 Jeep, but since it’s available I had to have it! I’m also hoping they offer it in the Gladiator eventually!
The one great thing is that you can buy whatever you desire, want, need.
German made cars, Porsche will get you the along with a VW all depends on what you need is. You don't need a car that will do 200 mph when your going through a school zone but you might look good in it
Telling time, a Casio watch tells time but so does a Patek Philippe watch that can cost into the millions and some of the people I know with high end watches look at their phone to see what time it is.
Not every vehicle is for everyone or everything.

Glovetown

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
After living with the Wrangler 392 I have to say it is an amazing Jeep, something they should have offered a long time ago. But lets be honest, there are a few things lacking with it that Jeep could have easily addressed. I am curious to hear what you all think about your 392 so far and if you have any complaints besides the price and the gas mileage! For me, I thought it looked ridiculous with the lift and 33" tires but that was an easy fix that 99% of us planned to change immediately anyway. Things I feel Jeep should have included were better brakes, like the SRT Mopars get, and the suspension/handling just don't match the feel of the performance motor. Since day 1, I have been saying that the Wrangler 392 is confused because it doesn't know what it is! The motor makes it want to be a sports car, but the brakes and suspension can't keep up! Here is my cliché "things I hate" video where I discuss this more in detail and explain how I have addressed these issues:

Total cost to build with upgrades please

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’m with you! I had a 2018 JLU that went into the dealership(s) 8 times to try to fix the steering. It always had 2” of slop no matter what was done.

In May, I traded that mess in on a 2021 JLR 2-door. There is no steering slop. It’s gone! It drives like a $53,000 car! We’ll, not that good, but you get the idea.

I believe the unsafe steering had multiple causes:
1) Frame design
2) Frame build, including robot programming
3) Maybe the aluminum box
4) Maybe the front track bar

The 2021 model’s steering is fixed, but oh those brakes could use some upgrading. I’m looking at the OP’s new brakes… yummy
I just had the steering box upgrade on my 2018 JLUR which included a new track bar and I’ve got to say it’s a whole new vehicle now! Seriously night and day difference in the steering. I’m now waiting on parts to come in to have it done on my Gladiator.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Total cost to build with upgrades please
Brakes $4k
Lift $2k
Spacers $200
37” Tires $1500
Tire carrier $700
I did all my own labor FREE
$8400 total as it sits.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I just had the steering box upgrade on my 2018 JLUR which included a new track bar and I’ve got to say it’s a whole new vehicle now! Seriously night and day difference in the steering. I’m now waiting on parts to come in to have it done on my Gladiator.
Hows the 392 before lift and with lift + 37's

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hows the 392 before lift and with lift + 37's
It gained me about 1” of flex clearance with the lift. And the biggest difference is how much better it handles with the Clayton Off Road Springs.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
It gained me about 1” of flex clearance with the lift. And the biggest difference is how much better it handles with the Clayton Off Road Springs.
Steering isn't bad vs how they were in 2018?

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
James: I'm thinking there must have been stages of discovery for Jeep while the 2018s rolled out. I think they had some engineering blunders, some robot welding quality issues, some supplier design and quality issues, and probably running out of time and budget to make proper corrections.

Mine never came around to eliminating the steering dead zone. It went through two steering box TSBs, re-alignment, re-torquing all suspension bolts, a new track bar, and then finally a different dealership reflashed the chassis computer. The reflashing made a noticeable difference. It still had 1.5" of center slop in the steering wheel.

I have been spoiled by having owned many different cars, including a Porsche Cayman S, and several iterations of Miatas. The sports cars had rack and pinion steering which is not fair to compare to a worm and roller box on a solid front axle, but the performance and racing focus pointed me to what is realistic and what wasn't. The 2018 JLU wasn't at all acceptable to me.

I'm happy to hear your Mojito gained a new life! And thank you for your leather dash panel swap video. My Nacho now looks like someone in Design (or the owner) was paying attention...

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
James: I'm thinking there must have been stages of discovery for Jeep while the 2018s rolled out. I think they had some engineering blunders, some robot welding quality issues, some supplier design and quality issues, and probably running out of time and budget to make proper corrections.

Mine never came around to eliminating the steering dead zone. It went through two steering box TSBs, re-alignment, re-torquing all suspension bolts, a new track bar, and then finally a different dealership reflashed the chassis computer. The reflashing made a noticeable difference. It still had 1.5" of center slop in the steering wheel.

I have been spoiled by having owned many different cars, including a Porsche Cayman S, and several iterations of Miatas. The sports cars had rack and pinion steering which is not fair to compare to a worm and roller box on a solid front axle, but the performance and racing focus pointed me to what is realistic and what wasn't. The 2018 JLU wasn't at all acceptable to me.

I'm happy to hear your Mojito gained a new life! And thank you for your leather dash panel swap video. My Nacho now looks like someone in Design (or the owner) was paying attention...
I`m glad to see that I am not the only one who went through hell with their 18 jEEP JL.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Brakes $4k
Lift $2k
Spacers $200
37” Tires $1500
Tire carrier $700
I did all my own labor FREE
$8400 total as it sits.
Hold on a min…. 5-37s for $1500. Where???? (I’m not being a smart ass) I will buy them right now.

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

What year Cayman did you have? We had a 2016 Cayman when we got the 2018 JLUR, but ended up trading the Cayman a year later for the Gladiator. So I also came from the sports car world but I guess I’ve been lucky that my Jeeps have been pretty good.

OP
OP
ShockerRacing

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hold on a min…. 5-37s for $1500. Where???? (I’m not being a smart ass) I will buy them right now.
I ordered them from Discount tire back in February.