Sponsored

Things I Hate About The Wrangler 392!

YJherJLhim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ and 18 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Thanks for the video and feedback.

I would like to see Jeep offer the 392 in all models.

I would like a stripped down Sport with the 392 and offer me 4.10 gears…
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Agree with the lack of gearing options. IMO 4:10’s would be perfect for a 392 with 35’s. 456’s are to low for 35’s and will require 37’s to maintain low range sand running speed and highway MPG.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Agree with the lack of gearing options. IMO 4:10’s would be perfect for a 392 with 35’s. 456’s are to low for 35’s and will require 37’s to maintain low range sand running speed and highway MPG.
I agree on the gearing and that one of the main reasons I ordered a Xtreme Recon. There is talk elsewhere, I believe where there is on a gear ratio thread for 392 `s brought up, and the mention of increased RPM`s and something else
Here is a typical gear ratio chart just to get a close idea, best to have the real measurement of your tires.
Here is the link that you want to visit
https://www.g2axle.com/
https://www.g2axle.com/pages/view/gear_ratio_calculator
Green is best fuel economy
Blue is best overall
Red is best power

Jeep Wrangler JL Things I Hate About The Wrangler 392! 1629412770981

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree on the gearing and that one of the main reasons I ordered a Xtreme Recon. There is talk elsewhere, I believe where there is on a gear ratio thread for 392 `s brought up, and the mention of increased RPM`s and something else
Here is a typical gear ratio chart just to get a close idea, best to have the real measurement of your tires.
Blue is best overall
Red is best power

Thanks, great chart.According to this chart to maintain best overall with 3.73’s to not go over 34’s (285-75).There is a chart posted under tires that shows RPM to MPH. 373’s and 33’s are comparable to 410’s and 36’s, 456’s and 39’s(maybe 38’s)
T

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue is best overall
Red is best power

Blue is best overall
Red is best power

Thanks,great chart. According to this chart to keep best overall with 373’s I shouldn’t go over 34’s(285-75). There’s a chart posted in tires that shows RPM to MPH. 373’s with 33’s is about the same as 410’s with 36’s,456’s with 39’s(maybe 38’s)

Sponsored

SDJEEP4PAPA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 On Order
Shocker, you hit the nail on the head ! Those are the exact 3 things that are bugging me (besides the gas mileage, mine is running about 12 mpg on premium)... It is sloppy over 70mph and I would NEVER want to be in the thing north of 90... I did put mine on 35's out of the gate but I took a long trip this past weekend and eat up one of the wheel well covers, every time i had to brake hard I heard some rubbing... so maybe prudent to lift it even for 35's... I don't like the brakes but now that I am use to them you just have to allow for their undersizing, but definitely something I want to upgrade along with the steering... Having said all that, the thing is really a blast to drive, the power is amazing and the sound is so sweet... I do agree with others, these things will not be produced for very long, writing is on the wall... I am fortunate enough to have an all electric Leaf (one of the very best EVs for the money in my opinion) so the 392 is not my daily driver. I do think those who want one will probably be able to pick one up for much less than what they are going for new... There is going to be a good many folks who buys these for their daily driver and find out they just can't justify $.40 cents a mile in gas costs... I am going to add a rear carrier so I can take along an extra 10 gals :)s

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Shocker, you hit the nail on the head ! Those are the exact 3 things that are bugging me (besides the gas mileage, mine is running about 12 mpg on premium)... It is sloppy over 70mph and I would NEVER want to be in the thing north of 90... I did put mine on 35's out of the gate but I took a long trip this past weekend and eat up one of the wheel well covers, every time i had to brake hard I heard some rubbing... so maybe prudent to lift it even for 35's... I don't like the brakes but now that I am use to them you just have to allow for their undersizing, but definitely something I want to upgrade along with the steering... Having said all that, the thing is really a blast to drive, the power is amazing and the sound is so sweet... I do agree with others, these things will not be produced for very long, writing is on the wall... I am fortunate enough to have an all electric Leaf (one of the very best EVs for the money in my opinion) so the 392 is not my daily driver. I do think those who want one will probably be able to pick one up for much less than what they are going for new... There is going to be a good many folks who buys these for their daily driver and find out they just can't justify $.40 cents a mile in gas costs... I am going to add a rear carrier so I can take along an extra 10 gals :)s
I agree 100% you would think that a Jeep with 470 hp would get better brakes from the factory, I know they are a little larger than a Rubicon but still inadequate for 37" tires and that motor. If they upgrade the brakes on other performance vehicle`s like the Challenger/Charger which drive like they are on rails to begin with, why not on a top heavy soft suspension big tired vehicle like a 392 Rubicon that is already lacking with the stock 33" tires?

As far as the extra gas goes I wish I had the extra coin to go with a AEV tire carrier for the JL and then you could use their 10 gal fuel caddy. I have this setup on other jeep`s but they were all JK`s
I don`t know about the look on a JL? I do know that AEV builds some of the best parts out there and they have been doing Jeep conversions forever. I have met and talked with Cash from AEV and he knows their product and could answer any questions you may have.
I am considering modifying their tire carrier mounting bracket to work with the factory steel bumper. Fabbing up brackets and other parts should not be a big issue

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/fuel-caddy/

https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/rear-bumper/

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
What year Cayman did you have? We had a 2016 Cayman when we got the 2018 JLUR, but ended up trading the Cayman a year later for the Gladiator. So I also came from the sports car world but I guess I’ve been lucky that my Jeeps have been pretty good.
I had a 2006 Cayman S. It had PCCB - carbon ceramic brakes - and would stop like it hit a tree. It was amazing. It had the potentially fatal IMS bearing problem so I sold it, reluctantly. I always wanted a Porsche and I finally had one. The sound of that flat 6 wailing up the RPM range was intoxicating. The handling was sublime. It was a dream car and I fondly look back on the pleasure it gave me.

My first Jeep was a 1970 CJ-5 Hustler. Then came a 1983 CJ-5 that I put a V8 in. Lots of Cherokees and GGs, but then I got the 2018 JLU Sport. It was supposed to be my trouble-free go-to Jeep. It probably was built on the Friday before St Patrick's Day. It was a mess, especially the steering. Before even one year of ownership, I drove 2,005 miles in it to trade it in on my 2021 Nacho JLR. It has been just right and does what a stout Jeep should. I'm happy with it.

My cars are now the JLR, a 2001 Miata (modified to meet SCCA T5 class), and a Sprinter RV. Can only drive one at a time...

Overwatch

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR, Sarge Green 392
There is only one thing really bugging me. It doesn’t feel anymore premium than a standard Rubicon. I have a Rubi and love it. However for $88,000 I want a Jeep with a nicer interior, better details and more tech. I know what I bought, I know Jeep, but if you are asking that is what bothers me. Doesn’t mean I don’t love it, but it doesn’t compare to other $90K vehicles.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
There is only one thing really bugging me. It doesn’t feel anymore premium than a standard Rubicon. I have a Rubi and love it. However for $88,000 I want a Jeep with a nicer interior, better details and more tech. I know what I bought, I know Jeep, but if you are asking that is what bothers me. Doesn’t mean I don’t love it, but it doesn’t compare to other $90K vehicles.
With Jeeps we pay for a lot that we can't see. A Rubicon honestly doesn't feel premium compared to a sport S either. A Sahara which is supposed to be the Luxury edition feels like an overpriced sport that didn't quite make it to a Rubicon level.

Honestly my 2018 base 30k sport didn't feel that much different than my 39k sport S. My wife couldn't even tell the differences :CWL:.

And most people who don't know anything about Jeeps just see a Jeep whatever the trim, and even year model.

It took my wife a long time to catch the differences between JLs and JKs. She is not into Jeeps at all. But she does still say a 2 door wrangler was always her dream car ????. lol... oh and she says the Bronco is hideous and douchey, but 2 door Jeeps are cute. Hates soccer mom SUVs, so consequently the 4 door is a no go for us until we realize we are not kids anymore.

If I had a second chance and were to buy a Jeep today it wouldn't be a 392 or an XR. It'd be a 2 door Rubicon.

Last edited:

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Things I hate about the 392... Well, there is only one thing and that is 392 owners that do not appreciate what they have that others cannot afford.
[/QUOTE
I have to disagree with you, I have owned Jeeps before I was had my regular licence. I had a CJ5 and a farmers licence and continued to upgrade from stripped JK`S to Loaded JLUR`s
It all depends on what you want in life,and I have build Rubicons that have not been to far away from the cost of a 392.
No not everyone can afford a 392 but who`s to say that owners don`t appreciate their 392`s? I had installed a RIPP supercharger on my 15 JLUR and It was well worth it.
I don`t need a 392 nor do I need my Raptor and I most certainty I did not have to put it on a Dyno to squeeze another 100hp out of it, but if I can have and enjoy them, why not?
I can tell you that I see more younger people driving high end cars that are well over $100k and there really isn't too many places in NJ that you can even drive those cars to even a quarter of what they are made to run. I`m 58 and and most of the people I see driving a high end car look to be under 25 years old, at least with a Jeep yo have the ability to use it on and off road. I know this is kind of a scrambled response but I`m dealing with the remnants from hurricane IDA and having a lot of damage in my basement.

You might as well bring up the issue of how many stock to full custom Jeep`s actually hit the dirt.
I don`t want debate anything about Jeep`s color, brand of lift, height of lift, 25 off road lights, a winch that might as well be a display model since it will never be used.
Sponsored