Sovran

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2018 JL Sahara. I've been wanting to get a Jeep for years and now took the plunge and got one. I did however not consider what I would be using this Jeep for. This car is my primary car and I'll be commuting to work and back most days. I have to leave my car at a public parking lot and take the subway the rest of the way to work. This means I would be leaving my Jeep unattended for 9 to 10 hours in a public lot. What worries me is the fact that just about anyone will be able to open my hood and take the contents from it. What do you guys think I can use to secure my hood? Do you guys face similar issues? If so how did you resolve them? I've looked almost everywhere and I can't find a solution.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of a 2018 JL Sahara. I've been wanting to get a Jeep for years and now took the plunge and got one. I did however not consider what I would be using this Jeep for. This car is my primary car and I'll be commuting to work and back most days. I have to leave my car at a public parking lot and take the subway the rest of the way to work. This means I would be leaving my Jeep unattended for 9 to 10 hours in a public lot. What worries me is the fact that just about anyone will be able to open my hood and take the contents from it. What do you guys think I can use to secure my hood? Do you guys face similar issues? If so how did you resolve them? I've looked almost everywhere and I can't find a solution.

Thanks!
Mopar pn 82210464 is a hood lock that keys to your existing key or a cheaper version with different key from Tuffy:

• Item J109757
  • MPN# 137-01

Todkavonic

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moto Guzzi, Ducati, BMW, Lincoln, Land Rover
Hmmmm. There are locking hood latches available for jk wranglers which, someday, maybe, might be available for the JL. I read that there’s a central locking option that also could be available, possibly, this December. Really though, I would think that if someone wants to get at your engine bay, or, indeed, anyone’s engine bay and they have hours to do it, that any locking mechanism would just lead to more damage. The flip side of that coin is that people tend to steal what’s easiest and there’s no reason to make it easier. Excuse my ignorance, but are peoples’ batteries being stolen? Would there be any utility in stowing a spare in the vehicle someplace, you know, just I case?

OP
OP

Sovran

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmmm. There are locking hood latches available for jk wranglers which, someday, maybe, might be available for the JL. I read that there’s a central locking option that also could be available, possibly, this December. Really though, I would think that if someone wants to get at your engine bay, or, indeed, anyone’s engine bay and they have hours to do it, that any locking mechanism would just lead to more damage. The flip side of that coin is that people tend to steal what’s easiest and there’s no reason to make it easier. Excuse my ignorance, but are peoples’ batteries being stolen? Would there be any utility in stowing a spare in the vehicle someplace, you know, just I case?
I honestly haven't heard of anything. I'm just being paranoid probably. It's like a peace of mind thing I guess...

Also keeping a spare isn't a bad idea. I would like to have a method to prevent theft as much as possible. I also doubt anyone will steal anything in broad day light especial if they have to break something.

OP
OP

Sovran

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar pn 82210464 is a hood lock that keys to your existing key or a cheaper version with different key from Tuffy:

• Item J109757
  • MPN# 137-01
I can't find one that supports the a JL. Only JK and JT.

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport

• Item J109757
  • MPN# 137-01
Second on Tuffy . Easy to install on a JK , and good support from Tuffy employees . Don't know if they fit the JL . Don't lose the key .

Best deterrent to low-thieves is visual . I have a 9' stainless steel chain padlocked to my seat extender down below , and wrapped around a yellow Club on my wheel , and then padlocked again . All cost $ 20 at Home Depot . Don't lose the keys .

If you have those , you will need to worry more about low-thieves on the LA subway . That's when a big club comes in handy . My big club is also useful at dealers when discussing anything .

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I have hood lock on my "I should by" list, but it's less of a concern for me. If I end up adding it, I would suggest leaving a key in your glove box so if you take it to service, or are out somewhere and need to open it the key is on hand.

Just my $0.02 as I would be worried about losing the keys!

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I also doubt anyone will steal anything in broad day light especial if they have to break something.
LA is a vast home of low-thieves and lawless morons , so always protect your Jeep in LA .

The only place in LA with decent police protection is Beverly Hills .

Where in LA are you leaving it in a public parking lot ? That will be important to know .

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
LA is a vast home of low-thieves and lawless morons , so always protect your Jeep in LA .

The only place in LA with decent police protection is Beverly Hills .

Where in LA are you leaving it in a public parking lot ? That will be important to know .
Be careful of @old8tora, he’s been trying to get in a JL for a while now. He might be setting you up so he can take yours.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Be careful of @old8tora, he’s been trying to get in a JL for a while now. He might be setting you up so he can take yours.
Says the good person in safe Tennessee . My favorite people are outside of Cali . Cali has now deteriorated into third-world-lawlessness .

Sponsored

Tjax

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Dr JL Rubicon
Sorry the Mopar JL pn is 82215137. (Available for preorder on Quadratec). Doesn’t ship unl December.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I’ve never heard of someone stealing parts from an engine bay. They would have to be pretty desperate.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’ve never heard of someone stealing parts from an engine bay. They would have to be pretty desperate.
That's because you are not in lawless Cali . In Cali everything is stolen , because there are no legal consequences . Cali has passed propositions adding to the state constitution that misdemeanors are treated as infractions , and they all get of jail free . IF the police catch them . I wasn't kidding when I pointed out that Cali is third world lawlessness .

Skubaa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Sahara
In our safe little rural community, we have had 4 wheels taken from a car at a train station and a crv hatchback literally removed from a car in a local parking lot by a school. But a friend had her windows smashed for a gym bag full of old tennis balls.
Personally, I hope any thief removes my back windows instead of smashing a window.
Sponsored