hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the parks in the northeast are either mud pits, or rock crawling and boulder filled wooded trails. I'm not at all a mud and sand guy, so rocks are my main target. That's why I don't mind losing a bit of articulation for the extra axle to ground clearance.

My only concern with 5.13's is the smaller and weaker pinion gear. Do you really think it would be a ticking time bomb? The 4.88's seem like a happy middle ground. This is all just guess work on my part. Maybe the biggest factor is how much lead is in the foot of the driver?
I think the 5.13s will be fine in the 60/80s you will be doing next 😉. Sorry, I have no real experience or knowledge on this subject. Shouldn’t even be responding 😂

Oh, and remember to take it easy on my Rubi takeoff axles 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I think the 5.13s will be fine in the 60/80s you will be doing next 😉. Sorry, I have no real experience or knowledge on this subject. Shouldn’t even be responding 😂

Oh, and remember to take it easy on my Rubi takeoff axles 😂
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 1izm3o

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Most of the parks in the northeast are either mud pits, or rock crawling and boulder filled wooded trails. I'm not at all a mud and sand guy, so rocks are my main target. That's why I don't mind losing a bit of articulation for the extra axle to ground clearance.

My only concern with 5.13's is the smaller and weaker pinion gear. Do you really think it would be a ticking time bomb? The 4.88's seem like a happy middle ground. This is all just guess work on my part. Maybe the biggest factor is how much lead is in the foot of the driver?
Id think with 4.88s and the rubi transfer it would probably be enough. I hate mud its the devil in liquid form.

As for the pinion size i dont know as though youd have to worry about it, any of them can break with happy left foot lol. Im not a gearing expert though to say enough weather that size difference really matters all that much haha. I probably wouldnt even regear till you find that point of really needing it. 4.56 sport t case just requires a small bump here and there in places, but not enough to warrant a gear swap for me yet. I think youll be alright 🤷‍♂️

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

I do remember @chevymitchell posting pic of pinion differences and discussing strength. I couldn’t find thread or I would have linked here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I do remember @chevymitchell posting pic of pinion differences and discussing strength. I couldn’t find thread or I would have linked here.
good idea
He is quite a knowledgeable individual and has provided a lot of valuable information that I have to start combing through. A lot of it has been made into stickies in the axle subforum.

Thank you gentlemen!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The road so far looks really good! 👍
Thanks Max! Very much appreciated!

Ketchup is looking great as well! Just read through your build and see that we have the same mentality of buy once cry once when selecting parts. The artec aluminum skids are one of my next moves, along with a set of rcv rears to match the fronts.

I'll have to get in touch with you the next time I'm in Colorado. It's one of the only places I keep going back to, and that's before getting bit by the Jeep bug. I always stay at the Avalanche Ranch in Red Stone, just outside of Carbondale. I was amazed to find out how many trail heads I was driving by.

Cheers buddy, and keep up the good work!

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thanks brother, definitely look me up when you're out this way. I'll be interested to hear how 40s treat you over the next couple of months. I have a feeling you'll be wanting hydro-assist after your first time in the rocks so keep us posted.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was about to post in the what did you do to your Jeep thread, when I thought why not dust off my own thread.

I was incapacitated with a shoulder injury for the brunt of my winter off season, so nothing got done with my Jeep because...
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... FB_IMG_1613404887430

This past couple of weekends, I was able to sneak away to diddle my Jeep's under bits. I had to recharge the Metalcloak 6-packs, which dropped from 150 to 60 psi over the last 2+ years. Rather than hope someone else doesn't screw it up, I got a fill tool and a nitrogen regulator from Powertank. Their bottles are backordered, so I got a generic one from a local welding supply shop.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 20220425_072059
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 20220425_072049

Also, I've been having a vibration for the last few months, most noticeable between 57 and 62 mph. It was there with the 38's and no change after the 40's went on. So not tire or wheel related. Just before that, I completely redid the whole front end, so that wasn't it. All of those parts weren't meant for fixing the vibration. They were simply for the sake of upgrading and adding more beef.

I was suspecting the rear driveshaft. It had over 50k miles of running at a higher angle due to lift height, and cv's typically don't last as long as they would at a softer angle. It was next on my upgrade list anyway, so I got a 1350 JE Reel shaft that also replaces both yokes, which got swapped in this past Saturday night. Happy to report that not only do I have a stronger driveshaft and more fuel tank clearance, but it's back to feeling velvety smooth. It also accelerates noticeably quicker from a dead stop and from any speed. Needless to say, I had wood during the entire 50 mile drive home from the shop.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics... I mean of the driveshaft, you pervs. 😆

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha, I had to edit the above post because it was incomplete. Mid way through typing, a truck came in for a load and I put the phone on the seat in front of me. Apparently, my junk decided to hit the post button. 😆 Anyways, hope it makes better sense now.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... Kbigydst

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha, I had to edit the above post because it was incomplete. Mid way through typing, a truck came in for a load and I put the phone on the seat in front of me. Apparently, my junk decided to hit the post button. 😆 Anyways, hope it makes better sense now.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... Kbigydst
So this explains it 😂. “Needless to say, I had wood during the entire 50 mile drive home from the shop”

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So this explains it 😂. “Needless to say, I had wood during the entire 50 mile drive home from the shop”
TMI alert!
You really need to put a warning on some of these posts!
Mike, glad you're back on the uptick!
Sponsored