Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
At least a few upwards of several months now. I thought I've recently seen some aluminum linkages that are blacked out. Is that the apex joints? What's the difference, if you don't mind feeding my curiosity?
The apex ends are black yeah, as far as difference i know they are a bit shorter and the knuckle end draglink has antiflop built into it. I saw the ends at the expo on sunday, they are really well built. And the apex guys are cool people. I dont know what brand or where the other ends you have on yours are from but i know they dont have anti flop, my cousin had the same ends on his.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I thought you already trimmed the pinch seam to allow all that flex with 38s 🤷‍♂️
It definitely lifts a wheel as is, but the trim will really open it up. I think it would easily get a wheel 46" off the ground before lifting a 2nd. I'll lose a bit of wheel lift with the bigger tire, but I'd personally rather have the extra axle clearance and approach/breakover/departure angles.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The apex ends are black yeah, as far as difference i know they are a bit shorter and the knuckle end draglink has antiflop built into it. I saw the ends at the expo on sunday, they are really well built. And the apex guys are cool people. I dont know what brand or where the other ends you have on yours are from but i know they dont have anti flop, my cousin had the same ends on his.
Yeah, sorry, meant the ends not the bar. I can't recall the source of the ends, but they are the same as what Doetsch, Rusty’s, and others use. They are 1.25" forged. Maybe it's just a color difference?

I do like the idea of the antiflop on the drag link at the knuckle like you said. I had thought about robbing one from the tie rod when I was assembling, but decided to keep the tie rod balanced. Didn't want to experiment.

I'll have to look into getting my hands on the antiflop bushing to add to mine. Thanks for pointing that out! Seeing it flopped forward has been making my eye twitch. 😆

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What's with the shocks? Never seen those before.
Those are Metalcloaks 6-pack shocks. Each end of the body has dual nitrogen charged aluminum shock tubes and the 5th and 6th red anodized aluminum tubes are reservoirs. This design allows for a tremendous amount of total travel. They are 30" fully extended but collapse to 15.75". On the front I have upper shock mounting relocation brackets that drop about 2.5". They take advantage of the very short collapsed length and adds that travel to the droop. I have similar relocation brackets on the rear lower mounts that do the same thing while also allowing me to trim a couple of inches off the factory brackets for more ground clearance. I haven't yet committed to chopping them. Another plus to these shocks are that they are designed and tuned around their dual rate springs. I've been very happy with them.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, sorry, meant the ends not the bar. I can't recall the source of the ends, but they are the same as what Doetsch, Rusty’s, and others use. They are 1.25" forged. Maybe it's just a color difference?

I do like the idea of the antiflop on the drag link at the knuckle like you said. I had thought about robbing one from the tie rod when I was assembling, but decided to keep the tie rod balanced. Didn't want to experiment.

I'll have to look into getting my hands on the antiflop bushing to add to mine. Thanks for pointing that out! Seeing it flopped forward has been making my eye twitch. 😆
Dont put the antiflop bushing on the knuckle end, it will put too much pressure on the joint on high articulation.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 0EB089E9-6737-4342-B229-8AE63A542DCA

It dont work very well lol. Someone did it on this one, different end, but same antiflop bushing

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dont put the antiflop bushing on the knuckle end, it will put too much pressure on the joint on high articulation.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 0EB089E9-6737-4342-B229-8AE63A542DCA

It dont work very well lol. Someone did it on this one, different end, but same antiflop bushing
Ok, so I wasn't overthinking that. I was looking at the picture of mine and the drag link is already slightly pointed up at normal ride height. The rpm product page says antiflop excludes the pitman arm tre. I have to look at that side tomorrow.

https://www.rpmsteering.com/25-Ton-...ring-Kit-RubiconMohave-Max-Tow-Pkg_p_466.html

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped the 38's for a set of 40's today. It still has a lot of pep off the line and when passing on the highway and sees 8th with ease. But it does drop to 7th quicker than with the 38's. A regear wasn't even hitting the radar before, but it is now a blip on the due of the screen now. 4.88's may be in my future. But that's splitting hairs. It feels great!
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 20211013_132632
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... 20211014_133132

I look forward to seeing my 4'10.75" wife climb up for the 1st time. I just walked her out to her car to head to work, and it looked like she can now walk right under the side view mirror.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Road So Far... v by uuh

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Swapped the 38's for a set of 40's today. It still has a lot of pep off the line and when passing on the highway and sees 8th with ease. But it does drop to 7th quicker than with the 38's. A regear wasn't even hitting the radar before, but it is now a blip on the due of the screen now. 4.88's may be in my future. But that's splitting hairs. It feels great!

I look forward to seeing my 4'10.75" wife climb up for the 1st time. I just walked her out to her car to head to work, and it looked like she can now walk right under the side view mirror.
Damn that looks great. They look mean on there. You keep making it taller and wife might be ordering you some RSEs for Xmas lol.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

I have 4.56’s with my 40s and honestly it should be 5.13s lol theres been a few rock sections it had no more push left to move anything haha. If you dont do much of it 4.88s would be fine. Cruising around i have no probs with my 4.56s. Now the sand dunes…oh it hated me, had to stay in 2wd and manual shift between 1st and 2nd to keep it going lol

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that looks great. They look mean on there. You keep making it taller and wife might be ordering you some RSEs for Xmas lol.
If I ever replace the Rubicon decals, "Julie's Yoga" will make the short list. 😆

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4.56’s with my 40s and honestly it should be 5.13s lol theres been a few rock sections it had no more push left to move anything haha. If you dont do much of it 4.88s would be fine. Cruising around i have no probs with my 4.56s. Now the sand dunes…oh it hated me, had to stay in 2wd and manual shift between 1st and 2nd to keep it going lol
Most of the parks in the northeast are either mud pits, or rock crawling and boulder filled wooded trails. I'm not at all a mud and sand guy, so rocks are my main target. That's why I don't mind losing a bit of articulation for the extra axle to ground clearance.

My only concern with 5.13's is the smaller and weaker pinion gear. Do you really think it would be a ticking time bomb? The 4.88's seem like a happy middle ground. This is all just guess work on my part. Maybe the biggest factor is how much lead is in the foot of the driver?
Sponsored