The Non-Rubicon Jl & JLU Thread

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I couldn’t find any discussion on my issue so I figured I’d ask here. I added some Rubicon takeoffs to my Sport this weekend and very happy on how they look/fit but I did find that the rear camera cover on the spare doesn’t fit back on now.

Has anyone figured this combo out the the oem spare tire holder? The camera cover seemed basic in setup but worth reusing if possible. I don’t know if there would be any specific risk to the rear camera with the cover off from the elements...

8D920B97-C600-4EBF-BB0C-8AD0068CADA3.jpeg

067EEFA4-B5D9-45D4-B857-C126690692C6.jpeg

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn’t find any discussion on my issue so I figured I’d ask here. I added some Rubicon takeoffs to my Sport this weekend and very happy on how they look/fit but I did find that the rear camera cover on the spare doesn’t fit back on now.

Has anyone figured this combo out the the oem spare tire holder? The camera cover seemed basic in setup but worth reusing if possible. I don’t know if there would be any specific risk to the rear camera with the cover off from the elements...

8D920B97-C600-4EBF-BB0C-8AD0068CADA3.jpeg

067EEFA4-B5D9-45D4-B857-C126690692C6.jpeg
If it makes you feel any better mine doesn’t either I just have it laying in the cargo box..

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
If it makes you feel any better mine doesn’t either I just have it laying in the cargo box..
It does validate that I wasn’t missing something obvious on the setup. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if rubicons have a different holder or cover part? I’ll run bare for now...

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
It does validate that I wasn’t missing something obvious on the setup. Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if rubicons have a different holder or cover part? I’ll run bare for now...
I have Moab wheels on my Sahara, basically black Rubi wheels and I didn’t have any issues putting the camera cover back on.

Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Strange it doesn’t fit, mine fits with an ATX wheel and it’s fairly thick hub on them

EA1115EC-FCBA-4967-A9DA-95239D7771F9.jpeg

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Strange it doesn’t fit, mine fits with an ATX wheel and it’s fairly thick hub on them

EA1115EC-FCBA-4967-A9DA-95239D7771F9.jpeg

Maybe the offset on the rim or something else is different. I just checked and it’s tight against the tailgate bump stops and the spare tire holder (not gaps).

The cover is at least 1 inch out from the camera length with the Rubicon rim

E60D1144-4391-4BFE-81E3-00F178BB1E50.jpeg

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well the point is I think you’ll be fine without it as I have been. I don’t have Rubi wheels I have aftermarket and like I said it doesn’t fit for me anymore either. They have the same cover as us but the wheels have a different offset/backspacing which I believe affects this.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Maybe the offset on the rim or something else is different. I just checked and it’s tight against the tailgate bump stops and the spare tire holder (not gaps).
Offset won’t effect anything for the camera, only thing it would effect is how much stop you would need for the tire to gate stops

Is it hitting you locking lug?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

The cover is at least 1 inch out from the camera length with the Rubicon rim

E60D1144-4391-4BFE-81E3-00F178BB1E50.jpeg
Mine was too long too. I cut it down to fit.

Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I went to the same set up. I went from stock steelies to Rubi wheels. The back pad on the rubi wheels is much thicker because theyre aluminum wheels. The steel wheels can get away with a thin backpad. The sport camera cover is longer than the all the other wranglers camera cover for this reason. Only the base sports as sport s has alloy wheels. You can buy a non-sport camera cover or just go without it. I havent been running mine for a long time now. No issues. Eventually ill grab one if i remember and theyre cheap enough. not a big deal though.doesnt offer any real protection. Mines been rained on and covered in mud. No issues

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Offset won’t effect anything for the camera, only thing it would effect is how much stop you would need for the tire to gate stops

Is it hitting you locking lug?
Actually I believe the offset/backspacing of the wheel would have everything to do with the camera and where it mounts and whether or not the cover would fit.

Positive:

01B8077F-3277-4843-BDAF-288F29B9FD29.png

Zero:

A4B1414E-6DD9-43D9-9CE4-9C6D94CEC072.png

Negative:
16EB1E57-F195-4EA0-BEA3-3E267A7D35FD.png

So given where the camera mounts, it’s casing may be affected by offset. Which explains our issue.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I purchased the EAG Tube Doors $439 for the set if 4 with mirrors, I could not be more pleased with the quality for such a low price, Now just waiting for May to put the soft top on...

half%20doors%201_zpssphpnq1h.jpg

kalf%20doors%202%20-%20Copy_zpsrckt7jxl.jpg
Ive been looking at these doors for a while. Started looking at other brands too because i was afraid the quality on thesee may not last but people seem to be happy with them. Havent seen any real complaints about them. Price is just too good to pass up. Especially eith the included mirrors and netting.

Does the netting come off?

Birchrun

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I went to the same set up. I went from stock steelies to Rubi wheels. The back pad on the rubi wheels is much thicker because theyre aluminum wheels. The steel wheels can get away with a thin backpad. The sport camera cover is longer than the all the other wranglers camera cover for this reason. Only the base sports as sport s has alloy wheels. You can buy a non-sport camera cover or just go without it. I havent been running mine for a long time now. No issues. Eventually ill grab one if i remember and theyre cheap enough. not a big deal though.doesnt offer any real protection. Mines been rained on and covered in mud. No issues
Perfect, thanks everyone for the confirmation. This is why I enjoy the Wrangler community so much - awesome to have this forum for help.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Ive been looking at these doors for a while. Started looking at other brands too because i was afraid the quality on thesee may not last but people seem to be happy with them. Havent seen any real complaints about them. Price is just too good to pass up. Especially eith the included mirrors and netting.

Does the netting come off?

Same here I was skeptical that I thought they are just steel tubed doors with a latch how bad could they be, Welds are good, powdercoat perfect, mesh heavy duty, and fit was perfect. I do not see what would not last, not much to go wrong with them. For $439 including mirrors one of the best value purchases I have made for the Wrangler.
Sponsored