Sponsored

The Great Rust Proofing Poll

Which rust-proofing product/service are you going with?

• Total voters

Arif

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
After doing some research I'm probably going to go with Krown. And the service is available locally.
Hi BillyHW, I live in Toronto, Canada. Ordered a new 2020 JL UNSAHA to come in a month. Did not go for the Chrysler rust proof as the dealer was asking $2000 (includes internal fabric coverage, rust proof, undercoat, paint). I have always used local Krown on my other cars for rustproofing, without any problem. I needed a second opinion to go with Krown, for my new JL - I am just scared if the undercoating may cause any issues with the sensors. I am also wondering if Chrysler would void the warranty for not using their product.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Sponsored

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Hi BillyHW, I live in Toronto, Canada. Ordered a new 2020 JL UNSAHA to come in a month. Did not go for the Chrysler rust proof as the dealer was asking $2000 (includes internal fabric coverage, rust proof, undercoat, paint). I have always used local Krown on my other cars for rustproofing, without any problem. I needed a second opinion to go with Krown, for my new JL - I am just scared if the undercoating may cause any issues with the sensors. I am also wondering if Chrysler would void the warranty for not using their product.
Any advise will be appreciated.
hahaha. What in the name of fuck makes you think billywilltinyd knows shit about shit about shit about rust proofing.

Some of you guys make me laugh.

While I smash my head in to a wall repeatedly because of your ignorance.

Guy 1 - "I have no idea what to do"

Guy 2 - "Hey guy 1, what should IIII do?"

anotherWS6

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jebadiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
Hey folks, FYI, was at an auto show today and got a good look at the new JL and there are some rubberized foam stoppers and seals under the hood. Might be a good idea to spray them good with silicone spray before doing any kind of rust treatment.
Wow! Thanks for the tip Skippy!

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So has anyone decided on what the best option was? So many have recommended certain brands. Some aren’t here in Toronto, Canada (sure I could order online. But anyone in the area I’m in decide on a product? Any advice info would be appreciated

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
So has anyone decided on what the best option was? So many have recommended certain brands. Some aren’t here in Toronto, Canada (sure I could order online. But anyone in the area I’m in decide on a product? Any advice info would be appreciated
For under $200 you can buy yourself an HVLP setup and enough cerakote to spray more than one vehicle. I have yet to see a competitive alternative as it pertains to corrosion resistance.

Sponsored

Jay 13

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For under $200 you can buy yourself an HVLP setup and enough cerakote to spray more than one vehicle. I have yet to see a competitive alternative as it pertains to corrosion resistance.
I’ll keep that in mind...Thanks for the response

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
I will be using ACF-50 that I will apply myself. Its used in the aviation and the motorcycle world. I have used fluid film in the military and its good stuff but ACF-50 I find it to do a better job without becoming molasses like.
How is it applied?

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I didn't have any issues with my Fluid film. I bought my kit on Amazon for less than $100. I had my buddy Chris who did it before supervising in his garage/ driveway. We heated it up for over 30 mins in a giant metal container filled with water on top of a propane space heater in his garage, dumped it into the "bottles", and then used his air gun to shoot almost an entire container (the size of a large paint bucket) into/ onto my JL's underside. Had a NYS inspection a month or so ago and the guy who did it commented it looked good, no rust forming. I've also been washing it almost bi-weekly at the drive through car wash to keep the salt and corrosion off. Hopefully this big storm they're talking about today will be the last one for the season.

We were talking about it and another buddy and club member has his mechanic do it to all of his vehicles at the yearly inspection. His get's pretty goopy and gross- Chris and I didn't have any issues and seemed to have nice, smooth spray on application experiences, so I'm wondering if there is a sweet spot for temp that people just aren't hitting when prepping the fluid film.

Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I did my own rust proofing - took about 5 cans:
3m-professional-grade-rubberized-undercoating-16-oz
I had a car that had a similar rubberized coating applied and there was some corrosion that started in one of the wheel wells. This product hides that corrosion and as it gets worse you can't see it until it's too late. It also hardens like a rock after many years. In the end the strut tower was completely destroyed, but you couldn't see any corrosion.

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
EASTWOOD Heavy duty anti rush in black.

Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust protects internal surfaces against rust.

• Air-tight, watertight barrier prevents and slows rust
  • Ideal for rocker panels, frame, rails, tailgates
  • Self-heals if scratched
  • 1-qt. can covers 20 sq. ft.
Works with your undercoat spray gun to apply a black, waxy film that sticks to bare metal or painted surfaces, and won't crack, flake or peel. Use inside frames, doors, rocker panels or on any exposed surface where painting will not be required.
Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust produces a satin black, waxy, oily finish that flows into crevices, then sets as a flexible, watertight coating. Use it to protect freshly machined surfaces and bare metal parts in storage, and also to seal inaccessible body seams. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html
This is better than fluid films......

jhern88

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRANGLER SPORT JL 4 DOORS V6
So this crown work or no?

EASTWOOD Heavy duty anti rush in black.

Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust protects internal surfaces against rust.

• Air-tight, watertight barrier prevents and slows rust
  • Ideal for rocker panels, frame, rails, tailgates
  • Self-heals if scratched
  • 1-qt. can covers 20 sq. ft.
Works with your undercoat spray gun to apply a black, waxy film that sticks to bare metal or painted surfaces, and won't crack, flake or peel. Use inside frames, doors, rocker panels or on any exposed surface where painting will not be required.
Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust produces a satin black, waxy, oily finish that flows into crevices, then sets as a flexible, watertight coating. Use it to protect freshly machined surfaces and bare metal parts in storage, and also to seal inaccessible body seams. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-heavy-duty-anti-rust-in-black.html
This is better than fluid films......

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Bar and Chain Oil (Chainsaw lube that is thick and has a rust inhibitor for those of you city folks) Hot sprayed annually.

THe place that does it for me drills holes for removable plugs into all the hidden voids in the body like rocker panels, fender well spaces on the first visit. Then sprays into those places on each visit. First application was $150. Subsequent applications is $100 a year. After three applications then only every other year. I live above the 100+ inch annual snow line in Western Maine so this treatment is pretty critical for long vehicle life. My daily driver is a 1999 K1500 CHevy Suburban that I have owned for the last 20 years. No rust. Remember, "Rust Never Sleeps"
Sponsored

Last edited: