Sponsored

Rust proofing opinions?

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
Hi all
Ok...so trying to decide how to protect our new Wrangler for the winter.....and the damned road salt that is just around the corner.

AKA "undercoating" or "rust proofing" (no such thing IMHO).

I have seen some folks say its a losing battle and not worth it at all.

But I have see how NON-undercoated/rustproofed vehicles turn out after 4 or 5 years .

I have looked at two companies locally - two different products....one oil based and the other uses either asphalt based spray or a wax based spray..........communicated with both for a bit and asked questions.... the oil based folks use fluid film on the exterior stuff and a "mineral based" oil inside everything like frame rails, panels etc. The other place uses what they call a oil based wax, that stays tacky and flows inside stuff and then a wax spray that hardens on the exterior "seen" stuff.

My biggest concern is that a) the areas you CANT see is done properly and b) anything taken apart to do those areas is put back right with no damage after the disassembly they do.

I can do the visible parts myself if need be.....its the "insides"...of frames, cross members, panels etc...that matter to me. Cause that is where it seems all "non-rustproofed" vehicles I have had rust through, from the inside out.

But especially tricky to decide in the case of a vehicle that WILL see sand, mud and dirt offroad and the subsequent washings that comes with that.
Both places say the other place is inferior....

I have also seen first hand how fluid film is easily washed away over time after using cans and cans of the fluid film stuff myself.

The other place claims that their oil-based wax coating is best for new stuff.....similar to the CRC marine corrosion preventative I have used, which seems to hold up....almost like cosmoline.

I dont want to start a "undercoating is worthless" thread......just want to know who has done what to their new Jeeps and why they did it and how it is working out and how their experience was.

PLEASE NO RANTS ABOUT A CERTAIN COMPANY. Just looking for honest feedback.

....and not really looking for reps of any company to chime in.....just actual customers and Jeep owners who have used one or the other please....
Thanks for the feedback y'all!
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This would be worth a watch if you haven't already. Seems like nothing is perfect but some perform better than others in certain conditions, and some really are worthless.

OP
OP

moparcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 80th Anniversary
This would be worth a watch if you haven't already. Seems like nothing is perfect but some perform better than others in certain conditions, and some really are worthless.
Thanks for this.

The results he came up with are similar to what I have seen in other videos (CRC doing really well and lasting the longest) which is why I had gotten under the Jeep with a half dozen cans of it to get what I can see. This was when we first got it 7 months ago....up til now it has done ok but obviously no salt exposure yet.

I am more concerned about the inside of everything....frame, cross members, etc........places that the spray can approach cannot be used effectively...

So far the two shops I mentioned use one product on the visible stuff and then a thinner option inside everything....one being a mineral oil based product and the other using what they call a thinned version of their waxbased product.....

I think if I could find a shop that uses CRC commercially (or a cosmoline based product) I would feel the best about the inside stuff.

But time is slipping away and I have to do something soon....
Sponsored