Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi everyone.

I've read so many posts on this and have decided to take a crack at rust proofing the undercarriage, especially since if you're going to do it, it's recommended every couple of years. I figure it's a pretty basic procedure. I'm also doing it because I live in a climate where we have winter for 6 months, salt is used on the roads and I park in a heated parkade that often has high humidity.

I'm going with Rust Check Coat and Protect. I'm obviously going to focus on the main frame, diff, suspension - is there any areas I should avoid aside from the exhaust?

Thanks,
-Leighton
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I use to undercoat vehicles at the Jeep dealer I worked at and even with the Mopar Undercoating they only recommend the body and frame. Avoid the driveshafts, engine, transmission, axles, Tcase, exhaust and suspension components. Specifically make sure you wipe any overspray off the driveshaft or you could end up with a vibration.

OP
OP

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I use to undercoat vehicles at the Jeep dealer I worked at and even with the Mopar Undercoating they only recommend the body and frame. Avoid the driveshafts, engine, transmission, axles, Tcase, exhaust and suspension components. Specifically make sure you wipe any overspray off the driveshaft or you could end up with a vibration.
Thanks for the advice. To be clear, you're recommending not spraying the axle housing at all? Is it safe to spray the differential?

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Thanks for the advice. To be clear, you're recommending not spraying the axle housing at all? Is it safe to spray the differential?
I would avoid spraying the axle and diff. The differentials can easily reach 150 degrees, probably not hot enough to catch any undercoating on fire, but will definitely start to smell, maybe even smoke a little. If you're really worried about your axles, when they start to show some surface rust, sand off the rust and hit them with a quick shot of high temp engine paint.

OP
OP

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I would avoid spraying the axle and diff. The differentials can easily reach 150 degrees, probably not hot enough to catch any undercoating on fire, but will definitely start to smell, maybe even smoke a little. If you're really worried about your axles, when they start to show some surface rust, sand off the rust and hit them with a quick shot of high temp engine paint.
Thanks. I would have never thought of that, but it totally makes sense. Regarding the actual body panels - especially doors - where exactly would you spray?

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Thanks. I would have never thought of that, but it totally makes sense. Regarding the actual body panels - especially doors - where exactly would you spray?
Only need to spray the underside of the body and frame. Don't spray the doors, unless you're using some wax based rust proofing which actually gets applied to the inside of body panels. Before you spray the underside, make sure to mask off anything on the body you don't want overspray on, it can be a real pain to clean up later. Getting overspray on suspension or driveline components won't hurt, but don't purposely coat them. But just spray up the pinch welds on the body and you'll be fine.

OP
OP

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Only need to spray the underside of the body and frame. Don't spray the doors, unless you're using some wax based rust proofing which actually gets applied to the inside of body panels. Before you spray the underside, make sure to mask off anything on the body you don't want overspray on, it can be a real pain to clean up later. Getting overspray on suspension or driveline components won't hurt, but don't purposely coat them. But just spray up the pinch welds on the body and you'll be fine.
Sounds good. I actually was thinking of spraying the doors with a wax-based rust proofing. Where exactly should I spray? I noticed at the bottom of the door there's a fold - should I spray in there?

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Sounds good. I actually was thinking of spraying the doors with a wax-based rust proofing. Where exactly should I spray? I noticed at the bottom of the door there's a fold - should I spray in there?
I haven't looked that close at the doors on the new JL but on the JK there were holes in the door that we stuck the nozzle in. Might have to look under the weather stripping. The wax rust proofing should only be sprayed on the inside of the doors and body panels. Some holes may have clear tape over them and others may have a rubber grommet. But really any hole in a door or body panel will work. Stick the nozzle in, and makes ure to move the nozzle back and forth while spinning it to get the best coverage.
Sponsored