Sponsored

The Great Rust Proofing Poll

Which rust-proofing product/service are you going with?

• Total voters

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Here's an interesting video showing a guy doing an experiment with ACF:

ACF-50 is probably the best stuff I have used. Highly recommend anyone to give it a try. Like I said earlier about fluid film, I like it for the fact it works but I don't like how sticky and thick it can get. From that video XCP sounds like fluid film. So from my own experience with these two products, I will use ACF-50

Another good thing about ACF-50 is it can be used to spray down electronic connections too.
Sponsored

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
I hope this isnt a dumb question but are you guys just generally applying these to the undercarriage or only to specific components? Any areas that must be avoided when using these products? My current JK (my first vehicle) I wasnt worried about rust because I didn’t think jeeps need to be be show room, but now the fully surface rusted undercarriage makes it look like a junker to me. Planning on keeping my JL in best looking condition possible and avoid the surface rust on the undercarriage from NY road salt and age.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I hope this isnt a dumb question but are you guys just generally applying these to the undercarriage or only to specific components? Any areas that must be avoided when using these products? My current JK (my first vehicle) I wasnt worried about rust because I didn’t think jeeps need to be be show room, but now the fully surface rusted undercarriage makes it look like a junker to me. Planning on keeping my JL in best looking condition possible and avoid the surface rust on the undercarriage from NY road salt and age.
In one of the videos I posted, the Krown people say that Krown is safe on everything except the rubberized foam of the door seals. They say you can apply some silicone spray on these door seals beforehand to protect them from the Krown spray. They spray pretty much the whole underside and inside the body panels.

I don't know about the other products. I think with some of the products you may have to avoid electrical connections and battery terminals and rubber bushings, but you'll have to research each product to find out.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Oh, and if you spray anything on the exhaust you'll probably get the smell of it burning for a few days afterwards.

Jergs

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi 2 Door, 2008 JK Sport 2 Door
Oh, and if you spray anything on the exhaust you'll probably get the smell of it burning for a few days afterwards.
Thanks, I think Ill go with the Krown since it is safe on the components on the undercarriage. I don’t think I will go to the degree they did in the video so the door gaskets wont be an issue but glad I know. Ill try to thoroughly degrease the exhaust after but as long as its only a smell and nothing actually combusts i don’t mind:like:

Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Cerakote. No idea how this stuff hasn’t been applied more frequently on vehicles (mostly used on firearms), but I sprayed our 2018 Compass with it last summer and there isn’t a spot of rust to be found after a long and heavily salted Maine winter. I used to spray vehicles with Fluid Film but cerakote is far more durable and effective. Including the HVLP gun, I was under $150 for the coating. The JLUR will cost me $50-75 to spray when it arrives.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Cerakote. No idea how this stuff hasn’t been applied more frequently on vehicles (mostly used on firearms), but I sprayed our 2018 Compass with it last summer and there isn’t a spot of rust to be found after a long and heavily salted Maine winter. I used to spray vehicles with Fluid Film but cerakote is far more durable and effective. Including the HVLP gun, I was under $150 for the coating. The JLUR will cost me $50-75 to spray when it arrives.
Okay, I added Cerakote to the poll if you wanted to vote for it now.

Please post some pictures after you've applied it to your JLUR.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Okay, I added Cerakote to the poll if you wanted to vote for it now.

Please post some pictures after you've applied it to your JLUR.
Will do. If anyone is interested in how well this stuff works in extreme conditions...

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Hey folks, FYI, was at an auto show today and got a good look at the new JL and there are some rubberized foam stoppers and seals under the hood. Might be a good idea to spray them good with silicone spray before doing any kind of rust treatment.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Where did you get the product/supplies? Is there a site that you recommend for info/research

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm probably going to use clear POR-15 where metal is pinched together. I don't have to worry too much about salt so preventing water from sitting in these area is my goal.
Sponsored