xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Some early thoughts, no particular order.

Im happy with the canvas thickness. It is noticeably heavier than the (admittedly) cheap tent material Im most familiar with....for never having put eyes on an actual unit Im very happy with this, it's what I hoped for.

Open/close is very smooth. Setup will be a quick operation for sure.

Build quality is great. Gaps are tight, everything seems very very well made and assembled

Mattress seems ok. actually better than I expected. But Im a side sleeper, so im not sure how comfortable it will actually be. The foam is firm and I dont bottom out...will definitely try it a few before I pony up for an inflatable.

Nice that it comes with a ground mat and a privacy pop-up shelter.

The included LED strip is interesting....it's (purposely) encased in some material for, I assume, diffusion. Didnt turn it on yet.

Shoe bags are upgraded to caribiner style clips that clamp onto some included eye-bolts. I had read about the previous design blowing off. these will not.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Nice! Couple questions.

1. Do you plan to enter from the side or back? If the side, is there no rain fly for entrance through this method?
  2. Are you considering adding solar?
  3. What’s the inches of the memory foam mattress supplied?
  4. How many blankets and pillows could you fit in there closed with no issues?

Ultimately I decided to go with Bundutec Electric Roof Top Tent. Of all the tents I researched, it allowed for the most storage inside.
    It comes with a 4 inch memory foam mattress but it was too firm, so I added a 1.5 inch extremely soft memory foam topper. It helped tremendously. On top of that I have a full size sheet, then I have a 100% wool blanket, two person sleeping bag, another wool blanket and a full size down blanket, topping it all off with two queen pillows. Crazy to think it all fits inside. We use to have a soft shell RTT, the traditional kind and it was a pain in the ass after setting up the tent, my wife had to hand be all the bedding one by one each night.

Sponsored

OP
OP
xaugievike

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Nice! Couple questions.

1. Do you plan to enter from the side or back? If the side, is there no rain fly for entrance through this method?

Ultimately I decided to go with Bundutec Electric Roof Top Tent. Of all the tents I researched, it allowed for the most storage inside.
    It comes with a 4 inch memory foam mattress but it was too firm, so I added a 1.5 inch extremely soft memory foam topper. It helped tremendously. On top of that I have a full size sheet, then I have a 100% wool blanket, two person sleeping bag, another wool blanket and a full size down blanket, topping it all off with two queen pillows. Crazy to think it all fits inside. We use to have a soft shell RTT, the traditional kind and it was a pain in the ass after setting up the tent, my wife had to hand be all the bedding one by one each night.
Im guessing side entry will be dominant. I'll have to see how things line up off the back with the spare, etc. Obviously the ladder would preclude me from opening the back of the Jeep itself. If conditions are poor enough I'd likely find a way to use the rear for the overhang.

Im a ways away from investing in solar. If I did I'd just add a hackery panel and set it out.

Mattress is about 3". It's dense.

I dont think much bedding would close in here. Im sure a blanket or a completely opened bag would squeeze in. Pillows etc will have to come out.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Nice! Couple questions.

How are you liking the Bundutec?! That's the ONLY other tent I'm considering besides another Autohome Grand Tour 360, which was crazy comfy. What size tent did you end up with, and what rack are you using? I know they're a little heavier but the mattress is key for a back pain. My Autohome was almost as comfortable as my bed at home. The fact you can keep so much inside yours is awesome

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
How are you liking the Bundutec?! That's the ONLY other tent I'm considering besides another Autohome Grand Tour 360, which was crazy comfy. What size tent did you end up with, and what rack are you using? I know they're a little heavier but the mattress is key for a back pain. My Autohome was almost as comfortable as my bed at home. The fact you can keep so much inside yours is awesome
I love it! Can't say enough good things about the tent. I got the largest size, King I believe. The mattres is a bit firm but I added a softer 1.5" topper, which really helps. Keep in mind, it's esentially a full size matters, so you could always get a custom memory foam for the internals.

I love that it has a built in light and dual fans. Plus it has USB and 12v charging ports inside. The setup and take down is less then 10 seconds and as you mentioned, my NUMBER ONE thing I love about my tent is I can fit everything inside of it. I hated having to make the bed each night. It was such a pain in the ass. I will try to make a video sometime.

Last edited:

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I love it! Can't say enough good things about the tent. The mattres is a bit firm but I added a softer 1.5" topper, which really helps. Keep in mind, it's esentially a full size matters, so you could always get a customer memory foam for the internals.

I love that it has a built in light and dual fans. Plus it has USB and 12v charging ports inside. The setup and take down is less then 10 seconds and as you mentioned, my NUMBER ONE thing I love about my tent is I can fit everything inside of it. I hated having to make the bed each night. It was such a pain in the ass. I will try to make a video sometime.
Awesome, definitely sounds convenient and comfort is key too. I'd like to see how it fits on the roof, any over hang anywhere, or just right. They make 3 sizes I think right; assuming you got the most compact version.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Awesome, definitely sounds convenient and comfort is key too. I'd like to see how it fits on the roof, any over hang anywhere, or just right. They make 3 sizes I think right; assuming you got the most compact version.
No I got the largest size and it sits on my trailer. I don’t think I would want this on the roof of my Jeep personally.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Falcon has landed 9E246493-E9CD-4D36-BEB4-C1EC1F9036DD

Jeep Wrangler JL The Falcon has landed 0F16456C-A06D-413E-86CF-0FD08E72ECFD

Jeep Wrangler JL The Falcon has landed 417CA1C4-BAAE-4AD2-9B8A-D80E26E572D2

Jeep Wrangler JL The Falcon has landed 2E3A9A8B-13BB-4FB4-AE1D-5A2D3DC55683

Last edited:

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
No I got the largest side and it sits on my trailer. I don’t think I would want this on the roof of my Jeep personally.

Haha yeah the big one is enormous! I was thinking the middle one but I want to measure the roof dimensions first to make sure its not hanging off all over. Nice Jeep too btw, waiting for mine in the same color

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Haha yeah the big one is enormous! I was thinking the middle one but I want to measure the roof dimensions first to make sure its not hanging off all over. Nice Jeep too btw, waiting for mine in the same color
Great choice you will love it, no doubt! If I was going RTT again, I would probably go with Alu-Cab brand and just deal with having to make my bed each day.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Great choice you will love it, no doubt! If I was going RTT again, I would probably go with Alu-Cab brand and just deal with having to make my bed each day.
I had an Alucab and it's tight inside, same for the Bush Co. Alpha. It's compact but the clamshell type only has one end useful really, just 2 people trying to change at the same time was a bit cramped. I'd choose the Bush Co. over the Alucab just cause it's not tapered at the foot-end, and depending what model, has double walled canvas and more outlets inside, etc.
Sponsored