Sponsored

Starlink with Portability Plan Has Arrived!

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
After a lot of planning I am finally getting around to ordering the things I will need to live out of my Jeep for the next few years.

First in is my Starlink Dishy with portability plan. It arrived about 5 days after I placed my order. Austin is saturated until 2023 so a friend of mine came to the rescue and let me use one of her addresses up in the Mojave Desert as my base address, and I had Elon ship it to my shop near Austin. Once I am on the road as a full time Overlander I don’t think I will be required to have a base address anymore. We will see.

I don't expect instantaneous speeds, but as long as I will generally be able to stay in touch with family and friends, and do basic internet stuff I will be happy. (Edit: I forgot to add the picture.)

IMG_6510.png
Sponsored

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
It arrived about 5 days after I placed my order. Austin is saturated until 2023 so a friend of mine came to the rescue and let me use one of her addresses up in the Mojave Desert as my base address
This part interests me. A friend of mine lives in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Canada and still took him a year on the waiting list to receive his. I assumed it was a supply chain issue, rather than home location.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
This part interests me. A friend of mine lives in the middle of absolutely nowhere in Canada and still took him a year on the waiting list to receive his. I assumed it was a supply chain issue, rather than home location.
In the Austin area no units are available until 2023 because of the cell being oversaturated. That is why I used my friends address out in the desert as my home base. I just put in my shop address for the shipping location. There is a $25 a month fee for the portability option which will let me use it practically anywhere. Of course if you are in a saturated area your speeds will be slower. When you are out on the BLM lands your speeds will be much faster. Or that is how it was explained to me.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I want one!!!!!
Can you post back with the set up complete?

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Of course if you are in a saturated area your speeds will be slower. When you are out on the BLM lands your speeds will be much faster. Or that is how it was explained to me.
Sounds about right. As mentioned he's in the middle of BFE and he gets between 50-150 mbps down speeds depending on the time of day. You'll be just fine up on a mountain trying to send an email or facebook message.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I want one!!!!!
Can you post back with the set up complete?
It will be about 6 weeks before I crack the box open, but when I do I will post the results here. I won't be on the road until August due to commitments and waiting on mods to show up for the Jeep. If I fire it up now I will be paying monthly fees before I am using it full time. Honestly I thought I would be waiting at least 6 weeks for the Starlink. I was surprised how fast it showed up.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Interested in following. Jeep only, or trailer? I see a pup. Bringing it with?

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interested in following. Jeep only, or trailer? I see a pup. Bringing it with?
Dawg is coming with, and due to limited funds Jeep only. Eventually, I will get a trailer.

Sponsored

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Some friends of mine full time in their RV and have tried several different methods of receiving internet service while on the road.

They ordered their Starlink package a year or so ago and it arrived at their listed "address" in February. Initially they had to find a location that had coverage then amend their address in order to connect and receive services. They also found there were some blank areas where no coverage was available.

Recently they noted that the "roaming" option had been initialized on the system, presumably by Starlink, and that they didn't have to modify their address and blank areas were no longer a problem. The antenna automatically finds, connects and tracks satellites in geosynchronous orbit closest to them.

Given Starlink's plans to place more satellites in orbit, with 2400 in place now and something on the order of 42,000 planned, hopefully no one will have any local or roaming issues in the future.

They love the product and service. The speed and quality are significantly better than their previous cellular based plans.

Another friend of mine lives in a remote area and is patiently, well maybe not patiently, awaiting delivery of his Starlink. The more he reads about system expansion and buyer reviews, the more impatient he becomes. :LOL:

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Some friends of mine full time in their RV and have tried several different methods of receiving internet service while on the road.

They ordered their Starlink package a year or so ago and it arrived at their listed "address" in February. Initially they had to find a location that had coverage then amend their address in order to connect and receive services. They also found there were some blank areas where no coverage was available.

Recently they noted that the "roaming" option had been initialized on the system, presumably by Starlink, and that they didn't have to modify their address and blank areas were no longer a problem. The antenna automatically finds, connects and tracks satellites in geosynchronous orbit closest to them.

Given Starlink's plans to place more satellites in orbit, with 2400 in place now and something on the order of 42,000 planned, hopefully no one will have any local or roaming issues in the future.

They love the product and service. The speed and quality are significantly better than their previous cellular based plans.

Another friend of mine lives in a remote area and is patiently, well maybe not patiently, awaiting delivery of his Starlink. The more he reads about system expansion and buyer reviews, the more impatient he becomes. :LOL:
Im signed up for their package for our house in Colorado. It would be great if we could take it on the road too!

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Im signed up for their package for our house in Colorado. It would be great if we could take it on the road too!
You just need to get the "Roaming" feature initialized. Some folks just saw that it was done, others had to contact Starlink to get that done.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I want to jump at this but the power requirements are holding me back for now. Even the latest improved hardware draws 50+ watts.
Sponsored