Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I bought a Trasharoo for obvious reasons.

I really like this item, but I am really suprised they have not come up with a solution that solves the problem of covering the backup camera.

Additionally (and this is a problem of my own creation...) , I moved my license plate to the spare when I replaced my rear bumper, so I 100% cannot run a Trasharoo, except off road.

I expected Trasharoo to create something that hung down on the tred part of the spare, but so far nothing.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?
Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have heard of owners running the trasharoo off to one side of the tire instead of being on the wheel face. But I never saw pics and sounds wonky to me.

I also have a trasharoo and almost never use it because of the back up cam. I've wondered about relocating the came above the 3rd brake light for example

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I started a thread on this same thing a while back and didn't get much.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-without-blocking-rear-cam.30937/#post-715285

My first solution was to put a simple laundry bag on the spare tire and it worked great for lightweight trash but that was about it.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Trasharoo Problem IMG_4020.PNG

I wanted something to put some basic recovery gear, maybe some firewood, etc. Just something more robust. I had an old backpack laying around so i strapped it to the side of the tire. I put it on the driver side but it really blocked the door handle, etc. Strapped it to the pass side and the only problem is that if it is really packed it hits the tail light before the tailgate is fully open which will not allow the rear glass to fold up. I'm going to play with it a little more and may get a different backpack but i think this has some promise.
Jeep Wrangler JL The Trasharoo Problem 60834718705__5389FE11-887A-4CEF-8805-21200BCEF947.JPG

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
How much room is there INSIDE the spare tire, could light , foldable items be bagged, stuffed in there ? Access by opening tailgate, stuffing bags in the inside of the rim. For Swing Away carriers, straps or bungees could keep stuff bags secure ? I kept tow straps, other light gear in waterproof bags, 18" Sahara rims on my JK

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How much room is there INSIDE the spare tire, could light , foldable items be bagged, stuffed in there ? Access by opening tailgate, stuffing bags in the inside of the rim. For Swing Away carriers, straps or bungees could keep stuff bags secure ? I kept tow straps, other light gear in waterproof bags, 18" Sahara rims on my JK
I've thought the same thing. Would be easy enough to slip a bag in there with some first aid supplies, maybe so small tools, recovery equipment etc.

Sponsored

mrpnicolas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I need ideas as well. Have my third brake light and license plate in the middle of the spare. I also have two fuel pax on the rock slide engineering mount.

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
Gonna drop this idea here:

I’m going to see, at some point, if I can use a storage bag from my old dual sport motorcycle. I have a few Kreiga bags lying around, and they’re about the same width as my space tire. In theory, with the strap mounts on the backside of the bag (for mounting on a dual sport rear fender), I should be able to run straps around the tire to hold the bag against the treads. This would allow me to hang the bag either driver or passenger, provide at least some external stowage for trash, and still have a usable rear camera. We’ll see. (Pardon that lame pun... )

I’ve also thought about using a heavy gauge dry bag with a roll-top end in the same manner. Many are the right dimension (roughly the same width as our tire treads on a spare), they are totally waterproof, though they might benefit from either a bucket internally to help define their shape, and/or some material on the back to protect against abrasion against the tire tread when dust builds up.

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just run my trasharoo as is. I have it slightly lower than the license plate so it doesnt block that. I've run it this way for almost 2 years without any issues. Mainly have it on when i am hitting some trails and not for daily driving. The trasharoo hangs low but i havent seen any issues with it getting ripped up on the rocks. There arent much scrape marks on the bottom of it and has been holding on pretty good.

Ggod3zl.jpg

UFO45

First Name
Colter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Thinking about trying out a waterproof dry backpack so I can hang it on the tire at camp then roll up the top and put it inside the cabin while driving. Keeps water out so it should keep water in too? anyone have experience with this method?

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trasharoo Problem 1600806052198

Sponsored

Rogueman_1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I only use it for off-roading trips so yeah it covers the camera. Oh well.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
I attached mine directly on the trasharoo with zip ties lol. A bit cumbersome removing and putting it back on every trip but that's my solution so far.

Y4wSHXe.jpg

OP
OP
BullMoose1776

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I attached mine directly on the trasharoo with zip ties lol. A bit cumbersome removing and putting it back on every trip but that's my solution so far.

Jeep Wrangler JL The Trasharoo Problem Y4wSHXe
That's a solid solution as long as you aren't driving at night.

Nice LOD hardware. I'd recognize that bumper anywhere!

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
That's a solid solution as long as you aren't driving at night.

Nice LOD hardware. I'd recognize that bumper anywhere!
License plate lights? That's true, so far I haven't had trouble driving like this at night, but probably cause I'm lucky. Then again, I also didn't wire any license plate lights on my regular spare tire mount as I was lazy at the time and so far after a year no issues yet.

I love me some LOD. Their bumper and tire carrier has been absolutely solid for me.
Sponsored