First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU, '17 Colorado, '17 Explorer, '13 Mustang
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
How’s the service out there? I live in a metro area down in south texas and constantly have poor service with Verizon. A little worried I’ll lose service and have difficulty navigating the map or was it pretty much a point and drive trail?

I’d prefer to do Friday afternoon so I could hit some granite trails Saturday. I’m just not sure how Hydros timeline looks.
Looks like we can head over to Fredericksburg on Thursday 06/08 (we may go over there a couple days earlier and do the site seeing thing. We haven't been in Fredericksburg for ~25 years) and be open to run these trails/roads any time on Friday. We're also open Saturday, but will need to head back homeward on Sunday.
Just tell me where and when everyone wants to meet.
Sponsored

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Looks like we can head over to Fredericksburg on Thursday 06/08 (we may go over there a couple days earlier and do the site seeing thing. We haven't been in Fredericksburg for ~25 years) and be open to run these trails/roads any time on Friday. We're also open Saturday, but will need to head back homeward on Sunday.
Just tell me where and when everyone wants to meet.
Sounds good to me.
Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling A76773FC-C2FD-4656-B7C0-D65DC8FB5F0D

I’m thinking we will enter off the first pin drop in Fredericksburg and make our way thru here to the James River crossing and finish out in Mason. I think we can shoot to meet up at the Walmart in Fredricksburg on Friday 6/9 at approximately 130/2 PM to fuel up and head out from there. If we hit the trail head at 2, it’s a ~2.5 hour drive, add in sight seeing and picturing taking, and that can extend to 4-4.5 hours. Worst case we would be in Mason by 7 PM which would give everyone an hour to hour and a half of daylight to get to their destinations. Meeting in Fredricksburg at around 12/1230 for lunch would also be doable if anyone was interested. I’ll be staying in Mason Friday night to wheel at K2 or Wolf Caves on Saturday, but someone could probably lead the northern part of overland trail on Saturday if anyone is interested. Let me know if that works for the majority of the group and I’ll update the original post.

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
Sounds good to me.

I’m thinking we will enter off the first pin drop in Fredericksburg and make our way thru here to the James River crossing and finish out in Mason. I think we can shoot to meet up at the Walmart in Fredricksburg on Friday 6/9 at approximately 130/2 PM to fuel up and head out from there. If we hit the trail head at 2, it’s a ~2.5 hour drive, add in sight seeing and picturing taking, and that can extend to 4-4.5 hours. Worst case we would be in Mason by 7 PM which would give everyone an hour to hour and a half of daylight to get to their destinations. Meeting in Fredricksburg at around 12/1230 for lunch would also be doable if anyone was interested. I’ll be staying in Mason Friday night to wheel at K2 or Wolf Caves on Saturday, but someone could probably lead the northern part of overland trail on Saturday if anyone is interested. Let me know if that works for the majority of the group and I’ll update the original post.
This plan works for me. Lunch in Fredericksburg would also work for us.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
HEB has well priced gas and diesel available, is closer to the 'pin' than Walmart and was started in near by Kerrville.

Lunch on Main Street at Fredericksburg Brewing Co. or off Main at Hill and Vine are two of many good choices. Though I will add that the best Texas single malt to be had is on Main Street at Modisett & Sons if that is your thing—

Sponsored

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
HEB has well priced gas and diesel available, is closer to the 'pin' than Walmart and was started in near by Kerrville.

Lunch on Main Street at Fredericksburg Brewing Co. or off Main at Hill and Vine are two of many good choices. Though I will add that the best Texas single malt to be had is on Main Street at Modisett & Sons if that is your thing—
Either HEB or Wallyworld works for us.
Lunch anywhere is good too.

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
Sounds good to me.

@72Blazer @cornercanyon,
My wife and I are heading to Fredricksburg on Tuesday and do a couple days of tourist stuff around the area. We'll be ready to go Friday any time everyone else is ready to go. We can meet at the HEB and take off from there.
We will leave Fredricksburg on Saturday and head back home at that time.
Anyone know what the water crossings are like? Been some rain over there lately hasn't there?

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
The guys I spoke to that did it a weekend or two ago said the only major water crossing is the James River crossing. And they said even with all the rain recently it was 6-8” of depth and was easily manageable.

I’ll know that morning how I’m doing on time so we could possibly meet for lunch. If not definitely shooting for meeting at HEB around 130/2 to go in the route.

I’m hoping the rain holds off as I’d prefer to head up topless.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I am in town and planning to play hookie on Friday away from the office. The liars club claims we will have afternoon thunderstorms all this week. Unless we get a big cell in just the rights spot(s) the crossing should all be fine. Though we need all the rain we can get.

Looking forward to meeting some new folks this Friday—

HydroBlue22

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Project Controls
The guys I spoke to that did it a weekend or two ago said the only major water crossing is the James River crossing. And they said even with all the rain recently it was 6-8” of depth and was easily manageable.

I’ll know that morning how I’m doing on time so we could possibly meet for lunch. If not definitely shooting for meeting at HEB around 130/2 to go in the route.

I’m hoping the rain holds off as I’d prefer to head up topless.
We could do lunch.

Sponsored

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Not sure how I missed this thread. I could have easily scheduled to be there had I seen it. Will keep an eye out for future rides.

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
I’ve never ran it. I’m just going off what a FB group posted. They also didn’t post pictures.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I was in the group a few weekends ago. I don't know exactly which roads we were on, but we went from Mason to Fredericksburg. It was mostly just dirt roads - really wide, flat, frankly kind of boring dirt roads. The river crossing was super easy - the way the river flows there, it's a drop-off, so it wasn't any more than ~12-18" at any point, and all rock bottom. You can actually drive out around in the river pretty easily - as said, it's rock slab bottom through most of it, not really mud/dirt (aside from the roads themselves).

It was an easy ride, good scenery, etc. If you're in the group, here's a post with some photos and drone video of the actual crossing, etc.

OP
OP
72Blazer

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SLP
Anyone planning to meet up can PM their number if interested. Might be easier to communicate once on the road.

:like:

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
We had fun this afternoon with @72Blazer and @HydroBlue22 on the Texas Hill Country tour according to OnX. @72Blazer did a wonderful job setting up the meet and leading us on a beautiful drive through the hill country. Not what I would call wheeling though we enjoyed both couples and had a wonderful afternoon outside.

@HydroBlue22 and us turned back toward Fredericksburg while @72Blazer went on up toward Mason. Hopefully they will post some photos of the James River crossing and their adventures enjoying Wolf Caves Offroad Park in the days to come.

Great Jeeps, beautiful people and a scenic afternoon—

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2663

Enchanted Rock in the distance

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2664

Scenic county road

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2665

Purple Horse Mint also known as Lemon Beebalm. Who knew?

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2666

Our leader @72Blazer and @HydroBlue22 at the fork in the road

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2667

@HydroBlue22 crossing Threadgill Creek

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2668

Lange's Mill on Threadgill Creek, not on the Texas Hill Country tour though nearby and worth the aside

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2669

My beautiful bride in OUTSIDE

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas Wheeling IMG_2671

OUTSIDE crossing Threadgill Creek
Sponsored

Last edited: