Texas to Colorado 2021

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Nice post. We did Mesa Verde and all the San Juan area badge trails a couple months ago and really enjoyed it. Beautiful country! I wanted to do the narrow gauge but it was going to add an extra night and I couldnt bring myself to spend the extra $$ for all that.

I think my biggest butt clinching moment was up before the switchbacks start on Black Bear Pass. I'd seen several pics of tipped over vehicles on one of those little drops and it kinda got in my head.
I'm impressed with your trip average mpg. Mine ended up being around 15. I usually keep it at 75 on the interstate.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I think my biggest butt clinching moment was up before the switchbacks start on Black Bear Pass. I'd seen several pics of tipped over vehicles on one of those little drops and it kinda got in my head.
YES! This exactly! I can definitely see how somebody taking those on a diagonal could end up shiny side down.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Nice write up. Spent a week in Telluride in March (without the Jeep). Your pics look a lot less frosty. I need to drive some more of the back country there as I've only driven Panther Canyon.

Big Bend and the areas on either side are the most difficult places on the US/Mexico border to cross. I've seen some illegals there, but very few.

Oh, those highway sections in New Mexico are called "safety corridors" I guess they get out there and enforce heavily during spring break and the beginning of ski season.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Great write up! I too was there for the jamboree, and can definitely say it’s a beautiful place. We did the wall on Poughkeepsie and I think it was easier than the side you went on.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Great write up! I too was there for the jamboree, and can definitely say it’s a beautiful place. We did the wall on Poughkeepsie and I think it was easier than the side you went on.
Thanks! I find myself wishing I had tried the right side of the wall also. Some folks make it look easy, then others struggle to the point of giving up. It's the part I had been researching and trying to identify the line for and then we didn't even do it. Man... NOW I'm going to have to go back again. ; )

Sponsored

HellaRubi

First Name
Sher or Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hellayella; F87 M2C; E90 M3
We pulled up, I motioned with my hand and called out for him to stop. My wife tossed out drinks and I tossed them to the man nearest the road. We struggled at communicating but hey wanted us to call for help. There is no service out there for miles. They wanted to know which direction to the nearest town but neither way was good. Eventually one gestured for a phone and called out La Migra which I believe means Border Patrol.

I assured them we would contact La Migra and asked them to stay put until they arrive. It still took us an hour to get to the ranger station going faster than I probably should have. We showed them on the map and gave GPS coordinates. They passed along the information to the Border Patrol and then we left.
You're a good guy for doing this, especially the drinks. Most people would have probably just went on about their day.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Love this. Being a CO resident, you figure I'd get bored of the same pics but I don't. I love seeing how people do their trip here versus when we camp through. Glad you did BB though!!! It's such a mental trail but not too hard. Engineer will always have a soft spot in my heart. Did a trip for my bday last year and started at wheeler geological area (I recommend this if you have not gone yet. Long bumpy road but the hike is wild with the rock formations). Left from wheeler to lake city and across to Silverton to get to our friends camp. LONG day, we were exhausted, hungry, thirsty. But the time it took made it worth it because we got to watch the sunset on engineer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Texas to Colorado 2021 1633622279389

-Julia
Sponsored