Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
My wife and I were able to get a Sahara (built 2/18) as an overnight test drive. We loved it and decided that's the car for us and were planning to make an offer this morning... UNTIL we got a warning message of "Service Electronic Stability Control". It was shortly after pulling into a gas station that had a pretty rough entryway.

That got me walking looking around this morning, and noticed a lot of weld rusting. Doesn't seem as bad as some of the other posts I've seen, but it's in most places. Looks like a 5 year old car under there, but it only has 215 miles on it!

We'll see what the dealer says about it, but it is certainly concerning.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
My wife and I were able to get a Sahara (built 2/18) as an overnight test drive. We loved it and decided that's the car for us and were planning to make an offer this morning... UNTIL we got a warning message of "Service Electronic Stability Control". It was shortly after pulling into a gas station that had a pretty rough entryway.

That got me walking looking around this morning, and noticed a lot of weld rusting. Doesn't seem as bad as some of the other posts I've seen, but it's in most places. Looks like a 5 year old car under there, but it only has 215 miles on it!

Thoughts?
Sounds like a Sahara is for you, just not that Sahara. There's a known issue with a few of the earlier built JL's with rust. Somebody else here correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to have been corrected in the current production line. Recommend seeing if you can get a similar vehicle, but built more recently.

And also popping under the vehicle to check the welds. Just to be safe, ya know?

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
215 miles! Are they selling it as a used model? There must be a reason it has 215 miles...potential buyers keep test driving it and find issues then pass on it. Dealer is trying to offload quickly hence the reason they probably let you keep it overnight. By letting you take it home it makes you feel like it’s yours and you need to buy it.

I’d pass given the error code has already popped up. Who knows what else they’ve found and have tried to fix already.

Go find a similar model that is a more recent build. Good luck.

OP
OP
TheJoyceIsYours

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
215 miles! Are they selling it as a used model? There must be a reason it has 215 miles...potential buyers keep test driving it and find issues then pass on it. Dealer is trying to offload quickly hence the reason they probably let you keep it overnight. By letting you take it home it makes you feel like it’s yours and you need to buy it.

I’d pass given the error code has already popped up. Who knows what else they’ve found and have tried to fix already.

Go find a similar model that is a more recent build. Good luck.
Well we were planning on buying it so we took it on a longer drive-down to my work, so we put a few on it ourselves, but it had like 150 miles on it when we got it.

Turns out it was bad on their part!

Scottroxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Occupation
Poet
Vehicle Showcase
Or it’s just a dealer demo vehicle.

Sponsored

tcadaniel

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi

Thoughts?
I'd pass because of the error code. Find another Sahara.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Agree with Scott, could be a dealer demo vehicle. Or maybe they used that Sahara to familiarize their staff. Most of the dealer demos that our BMW dealership sells are in the 8-9,000 mile range, so seems a little early to offload a demo.

Either way if there are already issues I'd find another Wrangler. There are lots to choose from!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Don’t buy a vehicle that’s throwing error codes on a test drive. Of course, you already know that, hence your reservation to purchase and instead post here for validation and support in not buying that particular one. Now you have it.

OP
OP
TheJoyceIsYours

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
Thanks everybody!

We ended up passing in it (somewhat begrudgingly), but on the hunt for another!

We learned how to take the top and freedom panels off,and got the test it in all the ways we'd use it. So definitely worth the test drive!

Thinking of ordering now. We were really hoping to strike a better deal on that one since it sat so long. Now need to start researching the best pricing options for ordering (and still looking around!)

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Thanks everybody!

We learned how to take the top and freedom panels off,and got the test it in all the ways we'd use it. So definitely worth the test drive!

Thinking of ordering now. We were really hoping to strike a better deal on that one since it sat so long. Now need to start researching the best pricing options for ordering (and still looking around!)
You can get really good pricing on a factory order. You'll also save by only paying for the options you want, and none that you don't. You'll also get the exact color you want, and no one will have driven her hard on a test drive.

It's one of the positive aspects of buying a Jeep!

Sponsored

Oilslick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
We got to take a Sahara home too, put 50 miles on. Took it back and email the next day to find us one with less equipment. It was 5k out of our price range. They dealer traded with a dealer 60 miles away for ours the next day. No regrets yet, besides not doing it sooner.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Thanks everybody!

So definitely worth the test drive!

You were very wise to test drive first . I special ordered for my preferred build , the special attention given to a special order whilst assembling , and the reduced price . After 27K flawless miles , no regrets .

You will want to special order from a competent honest dealer with clean motives . I recommend Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo , Michigan . When I bought an extended warranty from them , I was very impressed with their honesty and competence . If I lived in Michigan , I would go there for sure .

Good that you already have an FJ to keep as a spare back-up after you receive your special order .

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheJoyceIsYours

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
You were very wise to test drive first . I special ordered for my preferred build , the special attention given to a special order whilst assembling , and the reduced price . After 27K flawless miles , no regrets .

You will want to special order from a competent honest dealer with clean motives . I recommend Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo , Michigan . When I bought an extended warranty from them , I was very impressed with their honesty and competence . If I lived in Michigan , I would go there for sure .

Good that you already have an FJ to keep as a spare back-up after you receive your special order .
Thanks so much for the tips, I'll definitely look into them in kalamazoo, I'm in St. Joe, so only like 45 minutes away.

I'm still researching, but I always would have thought you wouldn't get a great deal on an order. Is there a trick to it beyond haggling/supplier discounts?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Thanks so much for the tips, I'll definitely look into them in kalamazoo, I'm in St. Joe, so only like 45 minutes away.

I'm still researching, but I always would have thought you wouldn't get a great deal on an order. Is there a trick to it beyond haggling/supplier discounts?
You don't haggle special orders ; they give you a very fair discount right out of the box . Finance Manager at Hayes Jeep in Kalamazoo is Tom Winkels . He gave me a big discount off my extended warranty without my asking , and I was phoning from Cali . He'll connect you with the Fleet Manager or special order manager , and you will have a list of what exact options you want , and then they will quote you a price . Go in-person to meet them face-to-face . The advantages of special order are your exact build , special care at the factory , and a reduced price without the sales b.s. Even if you put no money down , if you intend to pay cash , they can code it to Jeep as a cash sale , so will be first priority in build order . The only way to go .

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
My welds look normal, minor surface rust on some. It won’t keep my up at night. I may get a can of rustoleum some day,
Sponsored