Sponsored

Test Drive, hard top question

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
I did my test drives in Denver, so it definitely doesn't impact all Jeeps out there. I'm also very sensitive to pressure in my ears, so I do not suspect this is your problem either. Cloth seats would make no difference, there's no need to go that far, just drive another hard top JL. I suspect one of the panels had a bad seal on the roof or something else. No need to keep postulating around something nobody else is experiencing, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you drive another Jeep.

Robtdcarr

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2015 Ford Explorer. 2005 HD Softail Deuce. 2017 VW Passat.
I have experienced something very similar with my soft top. Driver window down on the highway and if one or both bottom tabs on the back window pop out, there is a buffeting until you crack another window. If the tabs stay secure, no issues. The hard top is going on Friday morning, so fingers crossed.

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I’m considering moving from a 2008 Grand Cherokee to a JL. I tested a 4 door JL tonight with hardtop and I was extremely impressed with the vehicle with one exception: there seemed to be a resonance or an over pressure in the cabin that I felt in my ears. Almost as though the slightly flexible hard top was acting as a bellows. If I cracked a window it seemed to get better. Has anyone else experienced this? I suspect that installing the optional hard top insulation would fix the problem, but the dealer didn’t have any JLs for me to verify my suspicion.
I have the hard top with insulation on mine, but test drove ones without it and did not experience what you are describing. Try going to another dealer that has JLs in stock. I'm guessing it's isolated to that one you drove.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I think I've felt this a time or two....very windy days, and highway speeds caused something that might be like what you've described.

Sponsored

Smokie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Mojito!
Occupation
Retired, part-time bartender
there seemed to be a resonance or an over pressure in the cabin that I felt in my ears. Almost as though the slightly flexible hard top was acting as a bellows.
I guess I’m a rare exception like yourself. I have definitely experienced the same type of resonance sound or pressure you have described. I literally noticed it the first time out on the highway. Cracking the windows provides a slight relief, but the effect is still present.

I’ve got the dual-top, and do not experience the same effect with the soft top installed. My hard top has factory installed headliners.

I reinstalled the hard top a couple of weeks ago and the buffeting effect is back. I didn’t notice any missing foam pads or any miss-alignment of the top when installing it. I really think it has a lot to do with the lack of smooth lines and aerodynamics in driving a box shaped vehicle down the road.

OP
OP
TRZ

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Smokie,

Thanks for sharing your experience especially that an insulated hard top doesn’t resolve the problem. I test drove a different hard top tonight and had the same issue, then drove a soft top and the issue went away. Guess I’ll be ordering a soft top!

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Go with the soft top anyways, it looks better imo.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I have had this happen once, for a mile. If the nose of the Jeep is considered North, the wind was from East North East at 34 mph, and I was driving at 40 mph on a smooth paved road. As soon as the road turned a bit it stopped. It wasn't as strong as what your words imply, but there was certainly a vibration beyond just the nasty wind. I've tried to reproduce it, but haven't been able to do so.
I have test driven several and only ever noticed it in the hard top. It does seem to be most noticeable around 30mph or so. I have never felt it on a softop and each hardtop is a little different. I suspect it is caused by whatever causes the wind noise to be different in each Jeep. The one we bought does it and I get used to it if I drive it everyday.

When I don’t drive it for a couple of days it is noticeable.

beerbrewer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram; 2014 T&C
Smokie,

Thanks for sharing your experience especially that an insulated hard top doesn’t resolve the problem. I test drove a different hard top tonight and had the same issue, then drove a soft top and the issue went away. Guess I’ll be ordering a soft top!
The 3 hardtops I test drove at different dealerships a few months ago all had the buffeting pressure which was at slow speeds around 20-45 mph; no problem with soft top I drove, but I want a hardtop so am waiting for a 2019 to show up on one of the dealer lots to see if the issue has been corrected; I did not have this problem with my 2009 JK; maybe it has something to do with the hardtop panels on the JL having less weight than the JK and flex more?

Sponsored

OP
OP
TRZ

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
During my test drive last night it seemed like the sensation stopped when I came to a traffic light and the engine turned off; if that did happen, then the engine vibrations transferring to the hardtop is the cause instead of wind noise.

Next week I’ll take a ride in a colleague’s JL with insulated roof and see if I still have the issue.

I guess I could also spring for a Sky roof and get the best of both worlds (it’s so freakin’ expensive, though).

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
I’m considering moving from a 2008 Grand Cherokee to a JL. I tested a 4 door JL tonight with hardtop and I was extremely impressed with the vehicle with one exception: there seemed to be a resonance or an over pressure in the cabin that I felt in my ears. Almost as though the slightly flexible hard top was acting as a bellows. If I cracked a window it seemed to get better. Has anyone else experienced this? I suspect that installing the optional hard top insulation would fix the problem, but the dealer didn’t have any JLs for me to verify my suspicion.
I've driven 2 JLUR's, the one I test drove and the one I bought, and both did exactly what you describe from about 35-45 mph. I installed Hothead headliners and their Sound Assassin strips and it made little difference (although there are numerous other reasons to get those items). At this point, the buffeting is not really annoying, just something that happens. I cope with it by telling myself that I'm driving the world's best offroad convertible.

wpamba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I get this from time to time. If I reseat the driver's side Freedom Panel, it usually goes away for a few days.

cscotty63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Punk'N Rubicon and 1969 Firebird 400
Vehicle Showcase
I have gotten this once right after I bought mine and I believe it was windy that evening and between me going down the road at around 55 or 60 it happened, but once the road changed direction it stopped.

soco32

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL
Have 12k miles on mine and never have experienced what you are referencing. I do have the factory installed liner though.
3600 miles on my JL and never had what you have described. I have driven on interstate 75-80 mph.
Sponsored