Temperature inaccurate during remote start

Finnley

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Recon
It was night time when it happened. Why would it drop 20 degrees in a minute after being driven?
Did you ever get a resolution for this? Happened to me last night; it was 34 degrees out but the sensor read 55. The Jeep had been sitting for several hours before I hit remote start.
Sponsored

Tamos7

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sahara, 2016 Renegade
I suspect some here will think this statement is total BS, but mine reads 800 degrees most of the time after I have done a remote start and allowed it time to warm up a bit, 5 - 10 minutes, on cold mornings. I don't park my JLUS in an oven. It seems to stay at 800 degrees after I start driving until the outside air temp changes; maybe just 1 degree but I'm not certain of that. Honestly, this is not me being sarcastic. Just typing this makes me realize I need to take a picture of this and post it here. I'll do that the next time I catch it. It will probably be this coming Thursday morning when I need to go out again.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

It is unique to the JL. Ran a test today. Both my JL and Grand Cherokee SRT sat in the garage all night after being driven and parked at nearly the same time and temperature. Opened garage and remote started both of them. SRT heat, steering, and seats all came on. JL did not, both have same settings checked on 8.4 system.

Wrongful Suspicion

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
I suspect some here will think this statement is total BS, but mine reads 800 degrees most of the time after I have done a remote start and allowed it time to warm up a bit, 5 - 10 minutes, on cold mornings. I don't park my JLUS in an oven. It seems to stay at 800 degrees after I start driving until the outside air temp changes; maybe just 1 degree but I'm not certain of that. Honestly, this is not me being sarcastic. Just typing this makes me realize I need to take a picture of this and post it here. I'll do that the next time I catch it. It will probably be this coming Thursday morning when I need to go out again.
I mean, I donā€™t think I can wait until Thursday.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hey, Tamos7. If you decide to bring your Jeep to the dealer so they can take a look at this, let us know. Our team is happy to provide an additional layer of assistance while there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Further follow up on my previous side by side test with my SRT. I tried it again after another really cold night thinking it might be different. When I parked my JLUR it was around 20 degrees out. It sat overnight in my garage (not heated). I remote started the Jeep and immediately opened it up to find that it was at 61 degrees on startup. Letting it run made no difference. Heat does not come on, seats and wheel stay off as well. It was not until I put the Jeep into reverse and started driving that the temperature came down. Really no use in starting the vehicle with the remote, except to actually warm up the engine. As you can see from the second picture it was 12 degrees out!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Temperature inaccurate during remote start IMG_2318.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Temperature inaccurate during remote start IMG_2320.JPG

Tamos7

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As promised, here is a picture of my dash panel showing the outside temperature after having remote started my JLUS and allowing it to run approximately 10 minutes. The outside temperature was in the upper 20s F. It will return to an accurate outside reading after I drive it a few minutes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Temperature inaccurate during remote start IMG_20210114_080129

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clubs

Are you parking in Hell? WTF? 800!!! Wow, maybe it is laying on your exhaust pipe. Not even sure that they get that hot, I know my Diesel did, but not sure about these engines. Either way, that is ridiculous!

F150sc

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
As promised, here is a picture of my dash panel showing the outside temperature after having remote started my JLUS and allowing it to run approximately 10 minutes. The outside temperature was in the upper 20s F. It will return to an accurate outside reading after I drive it a few minutes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Temperature inaccurate during remote start IMG_20210114_080129

My wife's Jeep said the same thing yesterday.

Sponsored

kansasboy91

First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I get what the OP is saying. Iā€™ve gone in to plow snow for 12 hours, 8pm to 8am. 0 degrees -20 with wind chill. I forgot to remote start my Jeep when I was leave so I remote started with the fob, walked the literally 1 minute to my Jeep got in and it said outside temps were somewhere around 50 (I donā€™t remember the exact degree). Now, there is no way the ambient temp anywhere around the thermometer could be 50. It was 0 sitting in the windchill of -20 for 12 hours overnight with no sun. I can confirm this is an issue and for those that say Iā€™m an idiot like they were calling the OP understand I have a firm grasp of, ambient, windchill and road temps as a profession. I honestly think itā€™s more of a software glitch than hardware.

P.S. a lot of comments were unnecessary just down right fucking rude to the OP the whole point of the forum to offer advice not to be a dick. If you want a Jeep forum to do that I heard WOL is open and free to the public.

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The 800F is a CANBUS communication error. Happens to me periodically on startup. Just like 9999999 odometer reading or no reading. Goes away on restart.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
That's why I like the aftermarket remote start; it just continues on with the settings that were in place when you shut off the engine. Boneheadedly simple. [and WAY cheaper]

Tamos7

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it still doing that reading
Yes, it still does that. As soon as it detects an outside temperature change, it displays the current, real reading. I think it's kind of amusing.

X-SoLjA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Was there ever any sort of resolution to this? Saw numerous threads regarding this, not sure if there was ever any solution. I've got the cold weather pack for my Canadian Jeep sand its rather disappointing when I use remote start on those below freezing days to find the sensor saying the Jeep is actually sitting nice and warm until I start driving and the Jeep actually realizes Sh*t, its cold out...
Sponsored