Tapping high beam for relay trigger.

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Trans Am, 16 Colorado, 17 Camaro SS 1le, 18 punk’n Rubi
I have aux setup for hard on or off but would like to tap one high beam so I can quickly turn Driving lights on or off with dimmer. Anyone know if this will cause any issues with can bus?

I had this set up years ago when I had a tj and it worked great on rural highways and back roads.
Sponsored

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I tapped in to the high beam wire near the headlight on the 2013 Rubicon to control the off road lights with no issues. I used the 12 volt positive from the high beam as a trigger for the relay that the off road lights were on, and I ran a ground from a switch in the cab to the negative side of the relay trigger to select off road lights with the high beams
I am not an electrical engineer, however I don't think the small additional amperage to trigger a relay will cause any issues with the can bus.

I

chuck_tempe

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR 2010 Black JKU
If you use the high beam power to trigger the relay, it would be ok. The coil side of the relay barely draws any amperage for the canbus to see any errors. If you hook up the lights to be powered with to the high beams without a relay, you may run into too much current draw and blow the fuse.

OP
OP
JeepPunk

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AFC201B2-2443-40C3-B910-F7C5F74E077F.jpeg
Finally got around to installing and hooking up the relay seems to work great so far!

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
Finally got around to installing and hooking up the relay seems to work great so far!
Thanks for following up.
I have a set of "A-Pillar" lights that I am going to try using the high-beam lead as the trigger for the relay. I just ordered a set of H-13 extensions so I can splice into the high lead on that instead of messing with the stock wiring.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepPunk

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for following up.
I have a set of "A-Pillar" lights that I am going to try using the high-beam lead as the trigger for the relay. I just ordered a set of H-13 extensions so I can splice into the high lead on that instead of messing with the stock wiring.
Just be aware that the h13 connector is inside the housing behind screw on dust shield.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
Just be aware that the h13 connector is inside the housing behind screw on dust shield.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out to see if it's possible...If not, I'm not too bad at soldering.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What was the color code for the high beam wires? Where did you tap in at?

I also want to trigger a set of off road lights.

Thanks,

OP
OP
JeepPunk

JeepPunk

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was the color code for the high beam wires? Where did you tap in at?

I also want to trigger a set of off road lights.

Thanks,
First I have halogen lights, (regrettably) so if you have factory leds I’m not sure.
And I can’t remeber color but I got it wrong the first time and had to redo it. I tapped into wire on connector that plugs into outside of headlight housing. If you look at plug the very corner pin is ground and right next to it in one direction is low beam. High beam is on other side of ground a couple pins away.
Downside is you’ve got to pull grill and headlight housing to access, but I was putting different bulbs in anyways.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
First I have halogen lights, (regrettably) so if you have factory leds I’m not sure.
And I can’t remeber color but I got it wrong the first time and had to redo it. I tapped into wire on connector that plugs into outside of headlight housing. If you look at plug the very corner pin is ground and right next to it in one direction is low beam. High beam is on other side of ground a couple pins away.
Downside is you’ve got to pull grill and headlight housing to access, but I was putting different bulbs in anyways.
Yea, I have LED's. Should have thought of that and said so.

Anyone with LED's know the colors?

Sponsored

SNies

First Name
Stefan Nies
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2015 JK CRD X-edition, Jeep Compas, Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
Ever figured this out: where can you take of the high beam for a relay with the LEDs

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not yet.

Just got the wiring diagrams and color codes from the dealer and will look at them for help.

Pilgrim

First Name
jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sahara
interested in this as well. I would like to trigger a set of driving lights off the high beam with the led lighting package.

SNies

First Name
Stefan Nies
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2015 JK CRD X-edition, Jeep Compas, Ducati Multistrada 1200 Enduro
I looked for this past weekend and the best place I could find to tap the high beams was behind the housing of the headlights.
I tapped in the white/grey wire on the passenger side light to trigger the relay from my rigid D-SS spots
Power for the relay comes from switch 3 (I have the switch panel) so I can switch the spots off when needed.

! This was on a EU wrangler with LED headlights, don't know if there is a difference color-codes with the US versions.
Sponsored