Sponsored

Tailgate Strength?

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Wondering how much weight is too much on the tailgate hinge?

• I currently have method 701 wheels (~30lbs.) with the stock sport tires.
  • I’ll probably upgrade to 33” BFG KO2’s (Google shows ~60lbs.) once the stock ones are worn out
  • I just ordered the Rough Country Trailgate Table (~10lbs.)
  • I’d like to mount some Rotopax to spare tire eventually as well (1gal. of gas = ~8lbs. X 4 = ~32lbs.)

Is 130lbs pushing it on a stock tailgate hinge?

If so what’s a more realistic number? Can I get by with 100lbs and just find a different place to put the Rotopax?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
tonythehomie

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Yeah I will be off-roading, nothing insane but that’s definitely a consideration

I’d prefer not to spend money on a tailgate reinforcement and just adjust my plan for Rotopax instead (those haven’t been purchased yet) - this assumes I can get by with 100lbs on the tailgate.

I don’t know enough to know if I should be worried. I’ve searched quite a bit online and haven’t found a reliable answer so that’s why I’m asking here.

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
85# is the FCA recommendation. That includes the spare.

my Yoko Goo3 285.75.17 on factory wheels is 86# and I am comfortable with it. It doesn’t hang off creating a lever and fits snug without any movement. YMMV

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
When the tailgate is closed, the hinges largely aren't an issue. The tailgate is supported on both sides, with the weight of the system being distributed between the hinges on the passenger side and the tailgate latch on the driver's side. While closed, the stress on the sheet metal of the tailgate itself is the primary concern. The JL tailgate has, from what I'm told, a Magnesium alloy construction which should make it much less prone to bending and warping.

Coming from JK ownership and reading forums pertaining to that platform before my JL, it's my perspective that there are far fewer issues with the JL tailgate than there was with an un-reinforced JK tailgate. That said, issues have been reported. Then again, there isn't much on the vehicle that doesn't have a reported issue related to it (which can be said of any enthusiast vehicle and maybe any vehicle or complex machine as a whole, I suppose).

I'm of the opinion that the issues that have been reported have to do with excess weight combined with improper placement of the spare (IE not having the spare adequately supported, low-offset wheels placing the spare far away from the tailgate, etc). I personally have a Teraflex Alpha tire carrier that will be mounted with my ~100lbs spare and 2x 3gal Rotopax on a RSE mount which should be about 150lbs on the tailgate when I install it all next week. With the Alpha adjusted so that the spare is as close to the tailgate as I can get it and bumpers sized to keep the spare from moving, I've little to no concern about the weight back there. If Teraflex releases a tailgate reinforcement to complement their tire carrier, I'll eventually install it as a precautionary measure but will not be biting my nails in the meantime.

If my hard top explodes or my tailgate falls off on the freeway, I'll post an update and let everyone know.
Sponsored