Sponsored

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Your going to sell it? I'll be buried in mine. Deployed 2 airbags on a 97 vw golf and it never showed up on carfax.
Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at this it appears your frame is likely bent in the front (frame legs shifted towards passenger side. The central bolt on the bumper should be in line with the central grille opening.

$10 says it is a 10k+ repair, if not totaled for frame damage. I would push for a total, as I would not want a vehicle back after a frame swap, but that is just me.
I bet they don't total it. It is pretty easy to swap a frame on these Jeeps. the cost is the labor. I think $27k is much, but there is a dealer in Houston doing Hemi Motor swaps in 3 day turn arounds with body off frame. I dont see why it would cost more than $18k for that repair plus parts (airbag, bumper, airbag sensor, misc. bolts and nuts, ect).

But I could be wrong and this by far would not be the first time! In either case, I am Glad everyone walked away from this as it could have been so much worse.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
To answer your question, no, I wouldn't buy a vehicle with a CarFax accident record - unless it was dirt cheap. Just too much risk of other 'unseen' problems...

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
I got into an accident with my JKU with my AEV bumper and it looked completely fine; I even drove home no issue. However when my body shop inspected my Jeep they found that the frame was tweaked in a few places, the trans mount was bent, and 7 of the 10 body mounts were bent too. Ended up being a $12k bill even though there was 0 paint or body damage, and no airbag deployment.
Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength 92440AA4-160C-4951-B47C-71FCCB284A86

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

Jeep Wrangler JL JLU vs Equinox shows steel bumper strength 92440AA4-160C-4951-B47C-71FCCB284A86
Which winch are you running? Which red clip is that?

Sponsored

Wolfslash16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Firecracker Recon.
Which winch are you running? Which red clip is that?
I'm running a Smittybilt X20 12K winch and the fairlead is a Factor 55 Prolink. Both survived the accident without any damage btw.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I had a super similar impact in my JK and it bent the axle and broke the lower control arm. Get EVERYTHING checked out by a qualified mechanic.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
This brings up something I go back and forth on constantly, the end caps. I'll take the end caps off because I like the look and functionality, but then want to put them back because I think it offers more crash protection. I feel like the damage would be much more severe and costly if someone ran straight into the tire. Looks like your situation shows the end caps do serve as decent additional protection.

BTW anyone else have a hard time with the bolts that hold the end caps on?

Last edited:
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR; 2021 JLR
For anyone on the fence about upgrading to the steel bumpers (or for anyone tired of hearing about low scores from the crash rating folks) I present to you these images from an accident I was involved with yesterday. A 79-year-old lady cut INTO the left-turn lane at an intersection, blew through the red light and popped my front driver side corner. Needless to say, after examining both vehicles this morning, I'm shocked at the results.

We both have Progressive insurance, and since all my parts were MOPAR I'm going to insist that all the replacements are as well. I presume that the shop can get it back to "almost new" shape, I'm just bummed about losing resale value since my CarFax will now show an accident with airbag deployment. What say you community? Would you buy a used JL that had been repaired after a hard bump?

Look into filing a diminished value claim. The resale / trade has taken a hit; the goal of a "diminished value" settlement is to cover this loss.

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m not surprised at little visible damage but significant hidden frame damage stories. The kinetic energy of the impact has to go somewhere. If it’s not deforming the bumpers and fenders, then it’s deforming the frame.

You can’t cheat Newton.

Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
This is also reason #1 why I invest in a quality dash camera. I've had experience with people making stupid driving decisions resulting in a collision and claiming I was at fault. The video is the proof. It sounds like this wasn't the case for OP this time, but it easily could have been.

Jerkeejoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
I was in a pretty bad collision in my JL back in August and went through a lot of what you are about to go through. If you’d like more detail and some more input, feel welcome to message me and I’ll send you my cell number.

One thing I’ll tell you up front, though, is that my frame was pretty badly bent from a similar hit. Make surethe shop puts it on a rack to check. I ended up with a brand new frame.

CJKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Excellent point - I've been eyeballing removing those end caps too but have hesitated due to this very concern. Think they'll stay on - too many idiots on the road.
Sponsored