Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Question for those of you who have a spare but can't lift it without a mechanical advantage that you are unlikely to have when away from home.

Why do you have a spare?

Absolutely being serious here. If you can't change your tire when you are out and about, what good is that tire hanging from the tailgate? You would be better off getting rid of the weight, and keeping an air compressor and plug kit with your Jeep.
Most of us can get it done if we have to. It’s just a tough job. (Bad shoulder for me). Plus if a flat occurs, it’s really just getting the spare down. The couple of times I’ve had flats I put the flat tire in the cargo area. If the cargo area is full because I’m upstate wheeling then I have my High Lift Jack. My trips are 3 1/2 hrs each way. I for one prefer my spare. It’s like a baby blanket, I need it there. Lol. I don’t wanna spend 1/2 my weekend waiting for service.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Most of us can get it done if we have to. It’s just a tough job. (Bad shoulder for me). Plus if a flat occurs, it’s really just getting the spare down. The couple of times I’ve had flats I put the flat tire in the cargo area. If the cargo area is full because I’m upstate wheeling then I have my High Lift Jack. My trips are 3 1/2 hrs each way. I for one prefer my spare. It’s like a baby blanket, I need it there. Lol. I don’t wanna spend 1/2 my weekend waiting for service.
@sf5211

Reading your post made me remember a post I made a while back:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/replacing-factory-lug-nuts.67348/post-1425456

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I wheel with several people that are not strong enough to put their 37 inch spare on a bead lock wheel up on to the tire carrier if they got a flat. Ask them what they would do, and they say I have a Ted that wheels with me. he will do it. I am the Ted......

They also said that when the wheel, they almost always have a passenger and that working together, they would be able to get it back on to the tire carrier.

Friends for the win.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Question for those of you who have a spare but can't lift it without a mechanical advantage that you are unlikely to have when away from home.

Why do you have a spare?

Absolutely being serious here. If you can't change your tire when you are out and about, what good is that tire hanging from the tailgate? You would be better off getting rid of the weight, and keeping an air compressor and plug kit with your Jeep.
For me at least, getting it down is cake. It's all of the aligning and minute adjustments while trying to remount it that can sometimes be challenging. For you younger folks, getting old is not always what it's cracked up to be.

If I had a flat (never in 20 years of Jeeping), I'd just put the damaged tire in the back storage area if I couldn't lift it onto the carrier.

Or...call roadside assistance, and they'd still need me to have a spare with the vehicle.

Last edited:

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Use the hoist in the garage (ratchet strap that I use to lift the hard top) to lift the tire to the hight of the tire carrier, push it forward and you are done.

P.S. You can use the same method to pull/line-up/re-install steel bumpers.

But my rule is that my tire wheel/combo need to weigh less than my gf. Since I can still lift her, I'm not worried :) - Had to use KO2s to not violate the rule, though :(
OK I gotta ask: Why are you lifting your girlfriend? Or will this answer be something we may not want to hear.......;)

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
OK I gotta ask: Why are you lifting your girlfriend? Or will this answer be something we may not want to hear.......;)
Lift and spin.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
I have 33's and I did a rotation myself. Just picked them up and slapped them on, easy.

Helped a buddy with 37's we doubled up on the tires to line them up. I tried to do one by myself and I did it but it was a struggle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I use a small recovery strap through the center of the wheel. Any strong piece of rope world do.

20210406_120402.jpg
Nice job! I can use my hardtop hoist for that too, much easier on my old cranky back :)

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a very bad back and I found it impossible to lift and mount 33 inch tires onto JLU by myself. I can mount car tires. I am wondering whether anyone has a DIY method that would make this process easy.

I find it easier to lay the tire on the ground and turn the Jeep on it's side. Just make sure to have the bolts lined up with the wheels before you tip it on it's side. ;) J/k, I feel your pain, that rear tire is a beast to put on by yourself.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently changed my tires and did an oil change. I have 33's BFG, heavy tires, but I was only 1 inch or so off the ground so not too high to lift.
Sponsored