Overland Utah

First Name
Caden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
As others have explained, leverage is key. Some have mentioned tire irons, I have had great success rolling my tire on the middle or end a 3-4’ long 2x4 and then using the other end to lift.
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I've dismounted and mounted literally hundreds of 22.5" and 24.5" semi truck tires and wheels. The best method I found (besides using a dolly) was a tire bar. Its not hard to learn how to use the bar on about any surface. Using my left hand I maintain tire and wheel position at the hub. Using my right hand with the tire bar as a lever I will lift the tire and wheel and will see how the holes line up with the studs. If all line up I push the tire and wheel onto the studs using the tire bar. If not, I will either spin the hub a bit or use the tire bar to shift/rotate the tire and wheel then test again. Yes, I used my back some but the force required is minimal. This can be done while sitting on a stool or on one knee.

Ok, so some of you are placing parts of your body underneath this heavy vehicle and you are not in a position to escape if something falls. Not exactly the safer way. I purposely avoid putting any body part underneath whenever I can even if I am using jack stands. Out on the road changing tires on uneven surfaces I will lay the spare tire down underneath the vehicle so that if it falls while I'm removing the flat tire, the vehicle cannot fall completely to the ground. This gives you a chance to regroup and reset the jack to try again. So after the flat tire is off I place it underneath and then pull the spare out and mount it. It's just my way of being safer and might save someone from a serious injury some day.
This^^ I was surprised it took 26 posts for someone to recommend a tire bar. This is how they change tires on an 18 wheeler. No Jeep tire is gonna be heavier than them.
As far as the spare? That’s a different animal. My left shoulder gets so bad sometimes that I can’t even swing a lump hammer. I did a full detail in April which takes a full day. I take the spare off for these sessions. I had to ask my neighbor for help to put the spare back on.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I had to have a solution that worked for me when I was far away from civilization.

I came up with two options that worked well. One required a little more (like 2” more) lifting at the end but very easy to get the tire rolled up a folding ramp close to final position. The other required lifting tire up onto a hitch accessory but the final lift was less.

For photos check here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...nto-tailgate-tire-carrier.58135/#post-1257220

One solution I have not tried yet is that I do have a small come-along which can be mounted to a metal rod that is clamped to my roof rack. This can serve as a temporary hoist even when you are far from home.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Do the shovel trick. put the tire on a shovel, push down on shovel handle, it will raise the tire up and put it on the axle. Of course it has to be lined up fairly close and the axle will have to be at the right height for it to work well.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
This tire fixed my one issue, the spare! I'm already rearranging the garage, now I have to figure out placement of this or where to put it to get easy access for rotation times:

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+(Branded)|Motorcycle+Lift|68892&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*PLA+-+Top+SKUs+-+All+(Branded)&utm_content=Motorcycle+Lift&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYobCU8OEHvvTUASB44fbBXQnIoEeYLCEGIU-6tQjqrV2Ue4T9Z65QwaAu3IEALw_wcB

I already own it for my bikes, and it looks like it'll get it within an inch or two to the spare mount.

Hell...I am probably once or twice a year on rotation...so even rolling the lift around isn't a biggie.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
My wife's craft spending makes my Jeep budget pale in comparison. As a result, we have a jillion storage bins, but they seem a little fragile.

No buckling in the middle with the spare resting on them?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My wife's craft spending makes my Jeep budget pale in comparison. As a result, we have a jillion storage bins, but they seem a little fragile.

No buckling in the middle with the spare resting on them?
@rickinAZ

The lids on the 27 gal, empty totes hold up just great the the weight of the spare. The totes I have are quite stout.

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For those using a hoist (or block/tackle), what do you use to attach to the wheel/tire that you are jockeying into place?
I use a small recovery strap through the center of the wheel. Any strong piece of rope world do.

20210406_120402.jpg

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
I use a small recovery strap through the center of the wheel. Any strong piece of rope world do.
I think I'm going to make up something like this for my spare. Great idea. Thanks for the inspiration.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lack the strength to mount tires 20210406_120402
I like the simplicity of your solution. Has that bolt screwed into the ceiling stud given you any trouble?
Sponsored