Wrangler hood tie down strength ...

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with using the hood tie downs for a kayak tip. Wasn’t sure of the strength of them at hwy speeds if anything happened to let loose on the top. I ended up doing the wrap around which isn’t super convenient and was maybe looking at an aftermarket bumper that had D ring spots or to drill a hole in one corner of the bumper for an eye bolt. Being plastic I didn’t think the eye bolt idea was a solid one. Thanks for any Input !

8B21A408-CB55-4596-A0C5-28CB9036B5AB.png
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Just curious if anyone has had any experience with using the hood tie downs for a kayak tip. Wasn’t sure of the strength of them at hwy speeds if anything happened to let loose on the top. I ended up doing the wrap around which isn’t super convenient and was maybe looking at an aftermarket bumper that had D ring spots or to drill a hole in one corner of the bumper for an eye bolt. Being plastic I didn’t think the eye bolt idea was a solid one. Thanks for any Input !

8B21A408-CB55-4596-A0C5-28CB9036B5AB.png
I think you are going to damage your JL. Get a rack, meant to transport the Kayak. Me, I just toss it in the bed of my truck, and then tie it down.

OP
OP
Granizle

Granizle

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Wrangler Sport JK, 2007 Wrangler Sahara JK
I think you are going to damage your JL. Get a rack, meant to transport the Kayak. Me, I just toss it in the bed of my truck, and then tie it down.
Yeah I have a rack on order but the laws in my area state you need at least the front secured regardless. Doesn’t have to be tight but the “just in case” scenario if it let go from above that it wouldn’t flip behind you into traffic. It’s pretty solid with the hardtop off attached to the roll bars and has hardly any vibration. But one would think it would rip the tie down off or bubble your hood if it did especially at hwy speeds.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Yeah I have a rack on order but the laws in my area state you need at least the front secured regardless. Doesn’t have to be tight but the “just in case” scenario if it let go from above that it wouldn’t flip behind you into traffic. It’s pretty solid with the hardtop off attached to the roll bars and has hardly any vibration. But one would think it would rip the tie down off or bubble your hood if it did especially at hwy speeds.
Ahh, that explains it.
Sponsored