Sponsored

Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds?

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I know this has been discussed a lot and the max tailgate weight is 85lbs. Just seeing if anyone has ran a 90lb wheel and tire setup on the tailgate without reinforcement. If so was there any issues?

The setup in question:
285/75r17 BFG K02 - 60lbs

Icon Rebound 17x8.5 - 30lbs
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Im not running a reinforcement with the rebounds and 35 ko2s but I really should. I’m eyeing the Teraflex carrier+reinforcement but it’s too much for some painted metal.
I love the rebounds btw.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 3FD82F1A-0D45-47F0-BB5A-AF83E0490239
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 35D3293A-FF24-4734-BD94-E03E79DD7B3F

OP
OP
john_cal

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not running a reinforcement with the rebounds and 35 ko2s but I really should. I’m eyeing the Teraflex carrier+reinforcement but it’s too much for some painted metal.
I love the rebounds btw.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 35D3293A-FF24-4734-BD94-E03E79DD7B3F
That looks great! Do you know the total wheel/tire weight? How long have you ran the setup, and any sag?

WannFly

First Name
Priyo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4Xe - ordered, 2019 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber security
how much can you put on the tail gate with the MOPAR reinforcements and 33 stock KO2 tires? I have been eyeing a few accessories to put on the tire for carrying gas and firewood and most of them say to carry it on a bumper mounted tire carrier.

Sponsored

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer
While you can get by without...over time it will fatigue the hinges / tailgate and could lead to some alignment problems down the road.

We have had folks upgrade to our carrier for a 285/75 just for the peace of mind and for the fact that when they go larger down the road they already have the necessary components to do it right.

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
how much can you put on the tail gate with the MOPAR reinforcements and 33 stock KO2 tires? I have been eyeing a few accessories to put on the tire for carrying gas and firewood and most of them say to carry it on a bumper mounted tire carrier.

Not to open a can of worms here...but there is a reason a lot of the top dogs in the carrier world chose against a bumper mounted solution. That single pivot point on the bumper tends to become a weak spot and we have seen (and have photo evidence) of these failing (which tends to take out the tailgate with it). A properly designed tub mounted carrier is typically superior in every aspect.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
That looks great! Do you know the total wheel/tire weight? How long have you ran the setup, and any sag?
It’s about 100 pounds probably. The wheel, as you know, is quoted by icon dynamics as being about 30 pounds. The tire I’m running, 315/70r17 in load C, is quoted by bfg as being ~65 pounds. So it’s about 95 pounds total. I got the jeep September 2020 and ran it stock til July 2021. I got the wheels and tires July 2021 and have been running this setup ever since.

Even though I know it’s not good in the long run, especially from long term fatigue, I haven’t noticed any major issues with the spare’s weight yet. The one big change I noticed is the fact that opening and closing the tailgate feels a lot heavier now and when I open the tailgate, I can feel it drop by a tiny amount. It’s not enough to cause issues when opening/closing but I can feel that it drops a little, perhaps by ~1/8”, because of the higher weight.
But I believe that may be more down to calibration than anything else, as all aftermarket tailgate hinges tell you to calibrate the sag of the tailgate depending on the weight of your spare, so I’m sure if I loosened the bolts and twisted the tailgate clockwise by a very tiny amount, it would go back to being level. But I haven’t touched it because, as I mentioned earlier, it’s not large enough to cause any issues when opening/closing the tailgate and I plan on upgrading in the near future especially because my next set of tires are going to be the new 37” ko2s in load range C. They are quoted as only being 1-2lbs heavier than my current set of 35s but still haha

Make absolutely sure you lengthen your bump stops. These wheels stick out more than the stocks so the factory bump stops are going to be way too short and you absolutely want support on the bottom.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 84B45BCA-26B4-4C8B-9C32-5B32DC72497D

Last edited:

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Not to open a can of worms here...but there is a reason a lot of the top dogs in the carrier world chose against a body mounted solution. That single pivot point on the bumper tends to become a weak spot and we have seen (and have photo evidence) of these failing (which tends to take out the tailgate with it). A properly designed tub mounted carrier is typically superior in every aspect.
Isn't your carrier body mounted?

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation

Sponsored

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I've been running 315 KO2s load range C for about two years now. Stock Rubicon rims. No drop or droop noted yet.

OP
OP
john_cal

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s about 100 pounds probably. The wheel, as you know, is quoted by icon dynamics as being about 30 pounds. The tire I’m running, 315/70r17 in load C, is quoted by bfg as being ~65 pounds. So it’s about 95 pounds total. I got the jeep September 2020 and ran it stock til July 2021. I got the wheels and tires July 2021 and have been running this setup ever since.

Even though I know it’s not good in the long run, especially from long term fatigue, I haven’t noticed any major issues with the spare’s weight yet. The one big change I noticed is the fact that opening and closing the tailgate feels a lot heavier now and when I open the tailgate, I can feel it drop by a tiny amount. It’s not enough to cause issues when opening/closing but I can feel that it drops a little, perhaps by ~1/8”, because of the higher weight.
But I believe that may be more down to calibration than anything else, as all aftermarket tailgate hinges tell you to calibrate the sag of the tailgate depending on the weight of your spare, so I’m sure if I loosened the bolts and twisted the tailgate clockwise by a very tiny amount, it would go back to being level. But I haven’t touched it because, as I mentioned earlier, it’s not large enough to cause any issues when opening/closing the tailgate and I plan on upgrading in the near future especially because my next set of tires are going to be the new 37” ko2s in load range C. They are quoted as only being 1-2lbs heavier than my current set of 35s but still haha

Make absolutely sure you lengthen your bump stops. These wheels stick out more than the stocks so the factory bump stops are going to be way too short and you absolutely want support on the bottom.
84B45BCA-26B4-4C8B-9C32-5B32DC72497D.jpeg

Also, the tires you mentioned are 50lbs. The heaviest 285/70r17 ko2 is about 52lbs. So your setup is about 80-82lbs so you are totally within spec.
Great to hear you do not have any issues. I will definitely be sure to lengthen the bump stocks. However, the tires I purchased are 285/75 not 70. They are pretty much a 34in tire and weigh 60lbs (E load). That extra 8lbs pushed me over the limit just slightly.

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
Haha, yes. I was thinking BODY MOUNT > and typed that instead of bumper mount. Fixed :P
What weight would you be comfortable carrying on your carrier? I have a spare tire rack from AAL and will eventually want a solution that allows me to use the rack.

20211119_122700.jpg

OP
OP
john_cal

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While you can get by without...over time it will fatigue the hinges / tailgate and could lead to some alignment problems down the road.

We have had folks upgrade to our carrier for a 285/75 just for the peace of mind and for the fact that when they go larger down the road they already have the necessary components to do it right.
I will definitely be sure to keep you guys in mind!

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
What weight would you be comfortable carrying on your carrier? I have a spare tire rack from AAL and will eventually want a solution that allows me to use the rack.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 20211119_122700

Tough to say. We have had 42s mounted on it without issue...but didnt weigh the setup. Also have had 40s mounted with beadlocks and rotopax on top of that.

Also we had one of our dealers install one with a 37 / beadlock and got a photo from them with oen of the guys sitting on top of the 37..so figure 100lbs at minimum for the 37+ wheel and another 200 for the guy who decided to sit on top of it...haha
Sponsored