Sponsored

Spare Tire Reinforcement & Carrier... Is it needed?

TheRealTVGuy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Hi All,

After speaking to the guys from Rock Krawler at the Jeep Beach Super Raffle Party this past Friday evening, my wife was all-in on the JL. I woke up Saturday morning and she had already found the perfect one for sale at the Daytona Jeep dealership. Soo I now have a new project, a Firecracker Red JLU Sport S!

I've decided to install the Rock Krawler 2.5 in. lift, Fuel 20" Rims, and Nitto Grappler 35s. My question is, is the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and upgraded spare tire carrier completely necessary, or have any of you Sport/Sport S owners strapped a 35-inch tire on the back using the standard spare tire carrier??
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Hi All,

After speaking to the guys from Rock Krawler at the Jeep Beach Super Raffle Party this past Friday evening, my wife was all-in on the JL. I woke up Saturday morning and she had already found the perfect one for sale at the Daytona Jeep dealership. Soo I now have a new project, a Firecracker Red JLU Sport S!

I've decided to install the Rock Krawler 2.5 in. lift, Fuel 20" Rims, and Nitto Grappler 35s. My question is, is the Mopar tailgate reinforcement and upgraded spare tire carrier completely necessary, or have any of you Sport/Sport S owners strapped a 35-inch tire on the back using the standard spare tire carrier??
I don't think so, but the JL is still young. Only time will tell. There are folks running 37s on the spare carrier with a relocation bracket and it seems to be holding up just fine, even with some serious wheeling. The important thing to do, just like the JK, is to make sure you've got tailgate bumpstops that reach the tire. You can beef up the gate and carrier all you want, but if your tire is connected to the gate and still has the freedom to sway from side to side, that's gonna do some damage.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any difference between the Rubicon and Sahara/Sport tire carrier outside of the adjustable brake light, which makes little sense seeing as how you adjust it to clear a tire that most likely won't fit on the gate to begin with because of the bumper.

The JL gate is definitely stronger than the JK, though, that's for sure.

JcrOffroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jcroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2008 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 1987 Jeep Comanche
Occupation
Manufacturer
I could be wrong, but I don't think there's any difference between the Rubicon and Sahara/Sport tire carrier outside of the adjustable brake light, which makes little sense seeing as how you adjust it to clear a tire that most likely won't fit on the gate to begin with because of the bumper.
They are different. Rubicon carrier mounts the tire higher.