Tail light guards

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Does anyone know if anyone has any tail light guard coming out soon for the JL?

The only ones I have really seen were the DV8 and the Rugged Ridge. I dont really like the DV8 and they are kind of expensive, and Rugged Ridge are just for the Led lights.

Anything new coming out, or something already out I don't know about?

Thanks

James
Sponsored

OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know if anyone has any tail light guard coming out soon for the JL?

The only ones I have really seen were the DV8 and the Rugged Ridge. I dont really like the DV8 and they are kind of expensive, and Rugged Ridge are just for the Led lights.

Anything new coming out, or something already out I don't know about?

Thanks

James
Anyone?

Sponsored

MACjeeps

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Sting Gray, 3.6L | 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Rhino | 1979 CJ5
OP
OP

Iwantfullauto

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So I just installed the Rugged Ridge model on my '19. I got 'em on the recent sale from Northridge, although it wasn't much of a discount - I think I paid about $120

Given the cost of the LED light assys I figured a little protection at ~$60 per lamp ain't bad.

I really wanted to build something but when I learned these are Al I figured they were worth the expense. Each guard weighs in at 2.2 lbs but I'd say for what they are (and more importantly how they anchor) they provide plenty of protection

I'm not completely thrilled with how the upper electrical plug (come to think of it I don't know what this does as I don't have BSM - thankfully) wires ride over their mounting bracket. It's a little snug and *could* chafe over time, but truthfully will likely be just fine for my entire life. Still, adjusting the cut file to angle this corner would be a simple revision

edit, with coffee now consumed: that's 2lbs, 2oz! Not 2.2#

IMG_20190927_201813889.jpg

IMG_20190927_203900185.jpg

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Their mounting bracket screws into the light housing with three screws. Factory uses true plasti-screws but RR seems to have just included longer sheetmetal or wood screws. They seem to grab the plastic housing fine but the head of the factory screws is .307" (call it 5/16") and the new screws have a noticeably smaller .260" head dia (call it 1/4")

When I snugged 'em I really felt like that tiny head was going to bore its way through the plastic. The smallest washers I had on hand were for #8 and were technically a bit too large but still fit well enough to distribute the load under the head on the plastic

I thought I snapped a pic of this last night but it doesn't exist on my phone (shrug)

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Ok here's a shot of the screws and washers I mentioned. I'm holding the factory screw (black) and while it probably doesn't look it in pics the factory head seems much larger in person

IMG_20190928_100401843.jpg

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So my biggest problem was these bars on the side. They sit a good distance from the side of the lamp housing and looked to me like they were begging to rip the whole assembly off.

I mounted everything and convinced myself I'd try them for awhile, but each time I walked by it it literally made me stop in my tracks, frown and give a disapproving grunt.

So, out came the air body saw and I chopped 'em out. Kissed the cut with a sanding disc to blend it, and hit it with a rattle can. Now, personally, I think it is SOOOO much better

I understand it was maybe intended to protect the side of the plastic housing, but I felt that *at best* it created as many problems as it solved.

IMG_20190927_204204058.jpg

IMG_20190927_204238889.jpg

IMG_20190928_100914045.jpg

IMG_20190928_102542048.jpg

DaddyEngineer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Ok here's a shot of the screws and washers I mentioned. I'm holding the factory screw (black) and while it probably doesn't look it in pics the factory head seems much larger in person

IMG_20190928_100401843.jpg
I saw that on mine too, but thought (no evidence to support the thought though) that they want the screw head to pull through the mounting plate as the weak point to minimize damage if you hook or hit something with the lights. Not saying that is their plan and wouldn’t be the first time I am wrong (just ask my wife).

Scott

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
However the bottom line here is these are 70% mall crawler for looks, 30% maybe kinda-sorta useful trail protection.

They mount solely to the factory housing, and it's been documented thieves in NY were yanking the entire housings by hand because they rely on a SINGLE plastic M8 fastener to hold them in place.

So, still, any impact to the lamp will likely break the single bolt and the lamp will be dangling anyway.

But, I think they'll help for light brush and impacts that PUSH straight in to the face of the lamp.
Sponsored