Sponsored

JL Tail light protection guards?

yell03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I won't pre-order, but once they are available I will order asap.

Thanks for the info!!!
Sponsored

gwk

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Quadratec just started selling them! Pre-order only!

tl.PNG
I
Quadratec just started selling them! Pre-order only!

tl.PNG
I know this post is a year+ old, and YMMV of course, but I installed these 2 weeks ago and today ripped BOTH of them off within 20 minutes of each other. It's like the "cage" around the taillights served as extra leverage + 1/4-1/2 inch extra sticking out the side.

Both were brushed off scraping by trees (rear fender flares unharmed, despite sticking out further; seemingly minimal contact on one and an admittedly pretty hard hit on the other). Literally ripped the whole taillight assembly out - broke the plastic mounting bracket, leaving the piece with the nylon screw inside and the lights + cages dangling by the wires outside.

The one with the harder contact broke the cage as well, leaving pieces of aluminum on the ground. It's not just me, everyone in my group was surprised by the damage given the amount of contact.

I'll reinstall the lights (assuming I can find that bracket sold separately) because I like the blindspot monitoring and they're stupid expensive to replace, but I won't be putting the cages back on.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
I

I know this post is a year+ old, and YMMV of course, but I installed these 2 weeks ago and today ripped BOTH of them off within 20 minutes of each other. It's like the "cage" around the taillights served as extra leverage + 1/4-1/2 inch extra sticking out the side.

Both were brushed off scraping by trees (rear fender flares unharmed, despite sticking out further; seemingly minimal contact on one and an admittedly pretty hard hit on the other). Literally ripped the whole taillight assembly out - broke the plastic mounting bracket, leaving the piece with the nylon screw inside and the lights + cages dangling by the wires outside.

The one with the harder contact broke the cage as well, leaving pieces of aluminum on the ground. It's not just me, everyone in my group was surprised by the damage given the amount of contact.

I'll reinstall the lights (assuming I can find that bracket sold separately) because I like the blindspot monitoring and they're stupid expensive to replace, but I won't be putting the cages back on.
I've had mine on about a year. They are definitely for looks only and wouldn't withstand much force at all. You have to be careful to make sure you position the rear passenger side perfectly or when the tailgate opens it will touch and snap the top bridgework. (Yup, I did that and had it rewelded by an expert). If anyone has the tailgate reinforcement make sure you grind down the top threaded hole (not sure why it's even there) or it will touch the housing and .... snap!

They look great but couldn't withstand a blow from a 5 year old on a bicycle!

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I've had mine on about a year. They are definitely for looks only and wouldn't withstand much force at all. You have to be careful to make sure you position the rear passenger side perfectly or when the tailgate opens it will touch and snap the top bridgework. (Yup, I did that and had it rewelded by an expert). If anyone has the tailgate reinforcement make sure you grind down the top threaded hole (not sure why it's even there) or it will touch the housing and .... snap!

To add on that, a lot of people also have leak issues with the RR taillight "guard", some even have electronic wiring issue. Totally not worth it IMO.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal

i was looking into these and wondering if they will fit the non led taillights. but was wondering the functional aspect of them. and just as you found out is what i expected, that they are more for looks than protection. thanks for sharing.

To add on that, a lot of people also have leak issues with the RR taillight "guard", some even have electronic wiring issue. Totally not worth it IMO.
first time hearing about the leak. never thought of it.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I

{snip}
Yeah.....post #13 I addressed similar concerns
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tail-light-guards.37980/

Cyclrder

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JKU Rubicon, S213E63S, 997.2TTMT
I have a pair that I was going to install but they really look huge on the car.... I’m returning them.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone has the tailgate reinforcement make sure you grind down the top threaded hole (not sure why it's even there) or it will touch the housing and .... snap!
i just purchase a pair and read your comments on having to grind down the top threaded hole if you have the Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement plate. Can you post a picture of the modification you did to your so it fit? Like you, i’m only adding this for looks.
Sponsored