Suspension Lift Kit Components Question

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Basically, why do some lift kits come with more components than others? I understand that some kits just do the basics of putting on larger springs and use factory components for the rest, but some kits have significantly more components than others and I have to wonder why. Take for example the these two MetalCloak kits

JL Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension, 2.5"/3.5", RockSport Edition
Metalcloak Jeep JL Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension.png

JL Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", RockSport Edition
Metalcloak's JL Wrangler True Dual-Rate.png

What am I gaining by using MetalCloak's (or any suppliers) control arms over factory? Strength? Improved geometry? Additional lift? What justifies the cost difference?
Sponsored

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like it makes everything adjustable and likely adds strength.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
They make different levels based on price point. The top lift adds all the new control arms and sway bar drop brackets. This adds additional adjustability and also more flex. The great thing with MC is the option to upgrade as you go along.

Brett

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Basically, why do some lift kits come with more components than others? I understand that some kits just do the basics of putting on larger springs and use factory components for the rest, but some kits have significantly more components than others and I have to wonder why. Take for example the these two MetalCloak kits

JL Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension, 2.5"/3.5", RockSport Edition
Metalcloak Jeep JL Wrangler Game-Changer Suspension.png

JL Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", RockSport Edition
Metalcloak's JL Wrangler True Dual-Rate.png

What am I gaining by using MetalCloak's (or any suppliers) control arms over factory? Strength? Improved geometry? Additional lift? What justifies the cost difference?
It’s all about what you can afford, and what you can live with. MC has very nice components. With a lift you change they entire geometry of the Jeep. You can replace the basics or spend more depending on what you want to do with your Jeep. Obviously new control arms and trackbars will bring everything back into spec. They are also pretty high quality. There are better and there are worse. The question is what do you plan to do with your Jeep. I live and run all these trails in Colorado.

I sold my JLUR for my Power Wagon but will soon have a JLR. I had a 2” RC lift and fox shocks on 37’s. I didn’t need anything more. The factory stuff worked fine. A lot of people spend lots of cash on really good lifts and never use them. What about you? If you don’t care about the cost, have at it. It’s good stuff and you can’t really go wrong. For me, I’ll do the exact things I did before, with just two less doors.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Most aftermarket lift components are more stout. For instance if you compare the beefiness of a stock control arm to the MC's control are you will see that that aftermarket unit is a lot more stout than the stock unit in both weight and solidness. Also the angle to which the lower control arms are bent allow you to clear obstacles that the stock units may contact. The aftermarket control arms also have different kinds of joints in them that allow for the unit to flex and twist while going over obstacles where the stock units will bind due to their lack of articulation in those areas.

Would inquire if the U/L control arm joints are serviceable, by that I mean, can the user grease them. Would also inquire about the spring rate, linear or progressive rate springs, then ask about the shocks. Do some research on the shocks as well. I personally had some issues with the reputable shock manufacture as did some of the people I wheel with. Turns out the shock couldn't handle the heat we put into them when doing our fire roading so, had to up our bar to better shocks and bump stops.

IMO the best thing is to get some local trail runs and speak to the people that have already lifted their jeeps, ask then what they like, don't like, would do differently this time.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
The complete kits replace all suspension parts and make them adjustable to companies specs. Also they tend to be stronger.

I used to buy top tier kits that replaced everything. I learned over time this wasn't beneficial to me or my jeep. The after market parts tend to rust, need joint replacements, make noise, and need upkeep.

I now try to keep as many stock parts as possible as they hold up better over time.

Unless you are a serious rock crawler, I'd avoid swapping everything out.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It’s all about adjustability, what kind of wheeling you do and plan on doing should dictate how you purchase your lift, most of them out there are top notch. With metal cloak your getting self centering joints which gives you more flexibility if you’re going to be crawling, other than that like these guys are saying you really can’t go wrong with whichever one. My only advice, if you go minimal, and over 2.5 inches at least get adjustable front and back trackbars to center your axles, and front adjustable lower control arms, because you’ll need more castor, these new jl’s love them some castor when lifted. Good luck.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
When you lift the vehicle, both the front and rear axles are pulled toward the center of the vehicle. With adjustable control arms you can extend the length of the arms to center the wheels back up in the wheel well. The taller the lift the more obvious it becomes that the wheels aren’t centered. Without adjustable control arms (or I suppose some brackets) it is impossible for them to be centered after a lift, even if it’s just a little bit.

Adjustable track bars re-center the axles under the Jeep side to side. Again, it’s impossible for them to be centered after a lift without a bracket, different length trackbar, or adjustable trackbar.

The other thing adjustable control arms do is allow you to adjust their length and get your pinion angles corrected back to factory spec. For the front this is critical to maintain proper steering, good steering feel, and proper driveline angle so you aren’t eating up driveline joints. For the rear it allows you to set proper driveline angle.

Again, the higher the lift the more these things will be off unless you do something to solve it.
Sponsored