Sunrider for JL

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Free review, so take it for what it's worth. Just installed a new SR today. Piece of cake. It's 57° a cloudy so I did a test drive windows up, top closed 70mph. Normal wind noise for a convertible, not bad at all. Had one on a JK so was not surprised. Then I opened it up, 70mph, of course it's windy. I found no need for the velcro tie downs, not rattles, bouncing or flapping. Then I did the garden hose leak test in the driveway. All good. Hope it stays this way. I feel much better now the I can have the roof open. Now if it would just warm up.
We had a lot of very heavy rain and flooding in Fort Worth Texas last week. Mine were sitting out in heavy rain while I was at work and it never leaked a drop.
Sponsored

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
My sunrider leaked the first time I washed the car after installing it. Since, it has only leaked once in heavy rain when it was parked outside. I came out to the car in the morning and saw the dried rain spots on the front door panel panels close to the seat (driver and passenger side). Any ideas? I attempted to add some tape where I thought it might be leaking but that didn't work.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
My sunrider leaked the first time I washed the car after installing it. Since, it has only leaked once in heavy rain when it was parked outside. I came out to the car in the morning and saw the dried rain spots on the front door panel panels close to the seat (driver and passenger side). Any ideas? I attempted to add some tape where I thought it might be leaking but that didn't work.
I have to dig through my emails where bestop sent me the tape to seal it up. I'll pm you with the photos this evening.

Sponsored

balan

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Website
heraglobaltech.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab Punk'n
Occupation
Engineer
This was the small pieces of foam tape they sent me which seemed to fix the issue.

Screenshot_20190715-184703.png

Screenshot_20190715-184654.png
That's exactly where mine was leaking! I really didn't want to take the top back off again, but I'm definitely going to need to. Thank you for posting! Much appreciated.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
That's exactly where mine was leaking! I really didn't want to take the top back off again, but I'm definitely going to need to. Thank you for posting! Much appreciated.
@BestopTeam could probably send you the strips like they did for me.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Bestop heavy rain today, and noticed that the passenger area leaks water when making a right turn.

I took a video and did some searching, and it looks like the leak is coming from where the sundrider clamps down or where it mates to the top... similar area to the tape @Mantacon mentions in his post above.

Do you have any advice and/or official fix, etc?

Thanks in advance, the passengers will appreciate the help! :)

Daffydnbugs

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler RUBICON
Would the Jtops sunscreen still be able to be used under a Sunrider or would it need to be removed?

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Bestop heavy rain today, and noticed that the passenger area leaks water when making a right turn.

I took a video and did some searching, and it looks like the leak is coming from where the sundrider clamps down or where it mates to the top... similar area to the tape @Mantacon mentions in his post above.

Do you have any advice and/or official fix, etc?

Thanks in advance, the passengers will appreciate the help! :)
An update as it relates to the Sunrider in that this issue has nothing to do with it! :)

To be fair to @Bestop I took the Sunrider off this afternoon and took a hose to each door after putting the freedom panels on... the results? Well, they leak worse without the Sunrider.

So, my guess is the Sunrider was masking an existing issue and actually holding back some of the leaking water.

I'll be taking the Jeep in on Thursday to the dealer to get it looked at. Fortunately I have video from inside the cab of the leak on both sides with a water hose to it... Here's to hoping I don't have to fight the whole "we can't reproduce" battle", as that's just a headache for all parties.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
An update as it relates to the Sunrider in that this issue has nothing to do with it! :)

To be fair to @Bestop I took the Sunrider off this afternoon and took a hose to each door after putting the freedom panels on... the results? Well, they leak worse without the Sunrider.

So, my guess is the Sunrider was masking an existing issue and actually holding back some of the leaking water.

I'll be taking the Jeep in on Thursday to the dealer to get it looked at. Fortunately I have video from inside the cab of the leak on both sides with a water hose to it... Here's to hoping I don't have to fight the whole "we can't reproduce" battle", as that's just a headache for all parties.
Thank you for the update and clarifying the issue! It definitely sounds like there is an underlying issue. If you feel our customer service could be of any help, please give them a call. Their number is 800-845-3567 and are in the office between 8am-5pm Mountain Monday through Friday.

Thanks!
Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
Sponsored