Sponsored

JL ** SUNRIDER FOR HARDTOP ** BESTOP (Video and Photos)

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
When we start receiving pictures on color hardtops i will be sure to post them. I can say that it doesn't look bad from the JKs i have seen. The issue with color matching is that the top is fabric so the match is not always perfect, and Jeep likes to switch up their colors each year.

CassieAtBestop
Thanks Cassie. Great point on JKs with the Sunrider, as many of the basic colors are still the same on JLs (e.g., Billet Silver in my case). I didn't even think about that, so if you have any pics of JKs with painted hardtops with the Sunrider that would certainly help.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Everyone that pre-ordered
@SeanD

10/16/18 6:15pm EST

I just now, called Bestop and asked about the ship date for the guys / gals that pre-ordered the Sunrider for JL Hardtop..

Nick a rep at Bestop said, due to a "production problem with a part" that the Sunrider for JL hard top, Shipping date has been put off until sometime in "Mid-November"...

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Scroll through our Instagram page, I have posted a few and I know a Grey with Black Sunrider is on here :)

https://www.instagram.com/bestopteam/

CassieAtBestop

Thanks Cassie. Great point on JKs with the Sunrider, as many of the basic colors are still the same on JLs (e.g., Billet Silver in my case). I didn't even think about that, so if you have any pics of JKs with painted hardtops with the Sunrider that would certainly help.

Sponsored

Kezza

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y62
its a great idea. any plans to colour match those who have coloured tops?
and how does someone in Australia get hold of your products? (JL yet to be released here)

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
No color tops in the works fo this top.

Us as well as a few other distributors ship internationally :)

CassieAtBestop

its a great idea. any plans to colour match those who have coloured tops?
and how does someone in Australia get hold of your products? (JL yet to be released here)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video explaining/showing the install of the Sunrider for JL:

dblack222

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Anyone have some super secret pro tips on the Z clips?

I just got mine in yesterday and in messing around with it there seems to be a lot of tension and not much slack to insert them.

I won't be installing for a week or so as the weather is brutal here, but might try and get the frame ready over the weekend.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I just got mine in yesterday and in messing around with it there seems to be a lot of tension and not much slack to insert them.

I won't be installing for a week or so as the weather is brutal here, but might try and get the frame ready over the weekend.
@dblack222

Do one z-clip at a time. Grab the cable on one side of the SR, with a pair of pliers and firmly, gently pull on the cable.

Pull till you get a couple of inches of slack and then clamp on the cable pair of vice grips on the cable, near the fabric, so it cannot retract.

Be careful not to marr/damage the cable.

Now, with the vice grips in place, you have the necessary ... helpful slack you need to more easily compete the insertion of the z into the hole.

After you get it inserted into the hole, hold the z clip in place with tape and also hold with your finger and bolt the arm onto the SR. After you got one, repeat using the vice grips on the other side.

Careful! ... do not clamp onto the Z clip itself with the vice grips or plier, as you may break it.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link

Take a bit of time to put the rails on the correct side. Look at the instructions and get the alignment right. Once I found the correct side for each rail, I was able to put the z-clips in place without any vice grips, yanking, pulling, or anything. I recommend taking a bit of time to do this to avoid damaging anything.

Once you have the alignment right, things slip together without any real straining. Have the bolts near buy to start them just to keep the z-clip in place once you have it in. Then work on the other side.

You will have to flip the rail up and back to wiggle the z-clip in place but you should see it sit like it was made to if you do it right.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-continued-punkn-jlr.11524/page-5#post-480808

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Krondor With my Sr, there was no slack at all in the cable. The z-clips was pulled tight against the fabric. No way, would I have been able to insert the z-cip into the hole unless I got some slack and kept the slack... thus the gentle use of the plier and vice grips.

With that said, I agree with your words of advice in regard to the install.

I actually took the two rails over to the JL and placed them in where they would finally reside. This got me knowing which side was which and also gave me a feel for how teach rail navigates into it's final resting/installed position.

Anyway, reality is the install is easy. The z-clips will make you think and will have you muttering under your breath though.. At least I found myself muttering, cussing a bit. If I had to do the z-clips .. again it would be even easier.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
The wonders of consistency perhaps, but I had almost a half inch of wire showing past the fabric without any pulling. It was enough to wiggle the z-clip in place.

Took me over thirty minutes of wondering how in the hell they went together before I realized I had the wrong rail for the side I was working on. lol

It's a pain, but when it finally comes together it'll be like "oh, yeah I should have seen that."

At least it was for me. Finally getting it up on the Jeep made me feel a whole lot better. GL Derrick!

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Just got my twill sunrider installed last week... pleasantly surprised that the extra road noise in minimal. I also drove it around yesterday where it rained ALL DAY... no issues with leaks. Easy install, minimal noise increase, and water tight... needless to say, I'm pleased with this add-on to my JL!
Sponsored