DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Purple/black/white/red Santa brought me a gift today! I'll be putting it on the JL probably Thursday! Can't wait! Now he needs to deliver the JK version I ordered, too!
SSDHd4I.jpg
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Here is the install video:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW
@BestopTeam
@others

Well, it is installed. Took me an hour to do a 1/2 hr. install.

I recommend watching the video a few times just prior to the install.

As I mentioned in another forum post, I thought the biggest pain in the arse would be the Z-Clips, and geeeeeeeeeeez, was I right.

It took me a half hour looking at where the Z-Clip needed to go and fooling with the dam thing to get it there. What a pain in the ass.

Anyway, once the Z-clips were in place the install was easy, easy, easy.

I was by myself in the garage. I placed shipping pads on the roof of the JL, just behind the roof opening. The pads were placed to protect the roof paint from marring. After pads were up there, I used a 3' step ladder to climb up and then I placed the SR on the hard top, just behind the opening.

The SR weighs 38# so it was no issue getting it up there by myself. (I'm 69 yo) Once it was up there, it was very easily positioned, so I could bolt it down.

Bolting it down was no big deal. I used a torx driver.

Anyway, install was easy but fruck those Z-Clips!

SR looks better on my JL then I thought it would. Fit and quality is very good. The twill fabirc is very very nice.

OH, I left my Alien Sunshade on. It was on during the SR install. The SR is not impacted by the Alien Sunshade and the Alien Sunshade in not impacted by the SR. They will play together very well. 8-)

Will drive the JL later and post my feelings about it. I expect some buffeting at 65 mph and above. That is the trade off for going from hard top to convertible.

View attachment 112373

20181120_094433.jpg

20181120_094439.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
@DanW
@BestopTeam
@others

As I mentioned in another forum post, I thought the biggest pain in the arse would be the Z-Clips, and geeeeeeeeeeez, was I right.

It took me a half hour looking at where the Z-Clip needed to go and fooling with the dam thing to get it there. What a pain in the ass.

I was by myself in the garage. I placed shipping pads on the roof of the JL, just behind the roof opening. The pads were placed to protect the roof paint from marring. After pads were up there, I used a 3' step ladder to climb up and then I placed the SR on the hard top, just behind the opening.

The SR weighs 38# so it was no issue getting it up there by myself. (I'm 69 yo) Once it was up there, it was very easily positioned, so I could bolt it down.

SR looks better on my JL then I thought it would. Fit and quality is very good. The twill fabirc is very very nice.

OH, I left my Alien Sunshade on. It was on during the SR install. The SR is not impacted by the Alien Sunshade and the Alien Sunshade in not impacted by the SR. They will play together very well. 8-)

Will drive the JL later and post my feelings about it. I expect some buffeting at 65 mph and above. That is the trade off for going from hard top to convertible.

View attachment 112373

20181120_094433.jpg

20181120_094439.jpg
I thought they went over those Z clips too quickly. I could not really pick up in the video what the hell he did with them. If anyone else out there does this before me, please take video or photos of how those work.

Nice work, @Rhinebeck01 ! I'm dying to get mine on there! My JK SR for HT arrived today, too, along with the retractible sun screen and a pair of Hella Black Magic 500 lights. (For back up in case the LED's freeze over in the snow.) I've got lots to keep me busy with the JL this holiday weekend!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@DanW
@anotheraznguy

I'm not at all one to be taking pics or shooting video while I do things. 8-)

In regard to the Z-Clips... they may not slow you guys down at all.

Can tell you they are just ackward .. a pain in the ass to get in where they need to be and then to keep them in there. The video shows they used pieces of black tape to hold them. I had new black electrical tape and it really did not do the job of keeping them in place.

To compound matters, there is little slack in the cable that the Z-Clips attache to.. Be sure to pull pretty hard and gain some slack on the cable before you start trying to insert the Z-Clip into the hole. I used a very small pair of vice grips, locked on to the cable to keep it from retracting back into where it was residing.

I'm sure you guys will be able to explain better and get pics. Again, not my thing. Wouldn't you know it I was the first here to do the install. Little help am I.... Again, watch the video a couple of time before you do the install. Note the location of the word Bestop on the side pieces as you watch the install. This will be helpful when you do the install.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Looks awesome!

Sorry you had some issues with those clips, i will pass your feedback along to our engineers.

I just started a new thread for people to post pictures of the top installed, if you have some of your Jeep opened and closed I would love it if you could post there as well.

CassieAtBestop

@DanW
@BestopTeam
@others

View attachment 112373

20181120_094433.jpg

20181120_094439.jpg

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Me again :)

Is the z-clip you are referring to the cable you on the side?

@DanW
@BestopTeam
@others

/QUOTE]

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BestopTeam

Yes, Cassie ... there is a Z-Clip on each side.. Watch the Morris 4x4 video and get a copy of the instructions... 8-)

I don't think your guys had any other choice then to use such a clip and in the manner they did.

Reality is, the install is easy easy and I'd say easy for most anyone to do. The Z-Clips just slow you down a bit as they make you think.. daaaah.

Overall the fit and quality of materials is very good.

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Thanks, i was asking for clarification, we call them something different internally - total engineering lingo, "the cable" :cwl: I've installed 14 of these tops but I appreciate the suggestion :)

Some will have issues with these and some wont, it is honestly dependent on the top. While installing these at SEMA i had 3-4 that were a huge pain to get in, and the rest went in like it was nothing.

I did learn that if you dont't tighten the door surrounds down until after the Z clip is installed is was a bit easier on the tough ones to get in.

The delay in our install video is that we have since figured out some tips that we would like to incorporate into our video, i am told it is being finalized now. I will post once we have!

CassieAtBestop

@BestopTeam

Yes, Cassie ... there is a Z-Clip on each side.. Watch the Morris 4x4 video and get a copy of the instructions... 8-)

I don't think your guys had any other choice then to use such a clip and in the manner they did.

Reality is, the install is easy easy and I'd say easy for most anyone to do. The Z-Clips just slow you down a bit as they make you think.. daaaah.

Overall the fit and quality of materials is very good.

Sponsored