BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Well I installed one today. It’s raining, so far no leaks.:like:
I’m not a fan of the instructions concerning the ends of the cables. Figured it out, but it’s one of those things that if you did several a day you wouldn’t think twice about, but as instructions are written, good luck.
Also I’d like to see torque value for the bolts on the sides. I know they need to be tight, but anytime plastic is involved I worry about over doing it.
To anyone considering it. Just take your time. Your Jeep tool kit has all the required tools, and it’s not worth paying anyone else to install it.
Sponsored

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Well I installed one today. It’s raining, so far no leaks.:like:
I’m not a fan of the instructions concerning the ends of the cables. Figured it out, but it’s one of those things that if you did several a day you wouldn’t think twice about, but as instructions are written, good luck.
Also I’d like to see torque value for the bolts on the sides. I know they need to be tight, but anytime plastic is involved I worry about over doing it.
To anyone considering it. Just take your time. Your Jeep tool kit has all the required tools, and it’s not worth paying anyone else to install it.
Lots and lots of rain here and still no leaks fortunately :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Drove 850 miles so far today. Most of those miles in moderate to heavy rain.
No leaks.

At 75 mph up, cabin is much noisier then when running with the Freedom Panels.
I'd say typical noise for a convertible top.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
I haven't seen water leaks yet. But air leaks are another story. Mine sounded like a Hoover vaccuum from 45 MPH and up the day I installed it. I checked everything out and buttoned it back down and the noise is a little better but still there. I'm hoping the seals on the windshield frame will relax more over time and block more of the air from coming in.

We're supposed to get more heavy rain tomorrow so I'll look it over for water leaks again.
You know, I noticed the wind noise too but I wasn't sure where it was coming from. If your driveway has a slant, back it in so the water rolls down the hardtop to the front. Only way mine leaks but I find it hard that I am the only one.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
You know, I noticed the wind noise too but I wasn't sure where it was coming from. If your driveway has a slant, back it in so the water rolls down the hardtop to the front. Only way mine leaks but I find it hard that I am the only one.
I'll do that next week. We're supposed to get heavy rain again. Been a wet year around here.

I did run a pressure washer over it last night after a 4-wheeling trip. Had the wand about 10 inches above the top spraying it all down to clean the mud off. Didn't see any water inside the Jeep at all. I'll keep an eye on it.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
My Sunrider has been driven through California rain storms and been through a touchless car wash twice. Thus far, there have been no leaks. Am very pleased with this top.

Mantacon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey JLUR
My Sunrider has been driven through California rain storms and been through a touchless car wash twice. Thus far, there have been no leaks. Am very pleased with this top.
It doesn't leak in the car wash or while driving, it leaks when a large amount of water rolls down the back of the Hardtop towards the back of the sunrider.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they offered the top in a matching color for my JLU Safari

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WXman

Ok, just finished a 1,250 jaunt, with my JL that has the twill, SR installed.

Well, can tell you YES, it is very very noisy when driving into the wind at anything over 70 mph.

Noisy to the point that most guys/gals would want to dawn ear plugs.

My one Son and I had trouble hearing the radio and each other's spoken words anytime we went over 70 and were running into the wind. The Son, (30 yo) at one point, said the noise was giving him a slight headache.

I will deal with the noise and consider it a trade off in not having to deal with fooling with Freedom Panels when I want to run topless front.

Lots a d lots of heavy rain on the trip and I mean heavy rain and winds and no water leaking noted.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a shame it’s so noisy, I was hoping it would be as quiet as a soft top

MALL R8D

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Mine gets noisy at 75, but since the speed limit here is 65, I won't ever experience that. ;)

OP
OP
BillG

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Washed mine today, no leaks! Yes it’s louder than the freedom panels, but it doesn’t bother me. I guess after years of motorcycles with half helmets, I just don’t pay attention to wind noise anymore. I’m pleased with it.

lsp408

First Name
Li
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUS
After I installed Sunrider top for JL, I noticed driver side latch barely tighten down the top to header panel. From the outside, you can see passenger side is almost flush to header panel while driver side barely press down the rubber seal.

I ended up use folded paper towels as temporary spacer to wedge between latch hook and where it hooks to. It help tremendously as now the driver side top pressed down almost same as passenger side.

I looked over the latch on Sunrider and did not see anyway to adjust it. Just wondering if any of you ran into this problem and how did you resolve it?

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
@WXman

Ok, just finished a 1,250 jaunt, with my JL that has the twill, SR installed.

Well, can tell you YES, it is very very noisy when driving into the wind at anything over 70 mph.

Noisy to the point that most guys/gals would want to dawn ear plugs.

My one Son and I had trouble hearing the radio and each other's spoken words anytime we went over 70 and were running into the wind. The Son, (30 yo) at one point, said the noise was giving him a slight headache.

I will deal with the noise and consider it a trade off in not having to deal with fooling with Freedom Panels when I want to run topless front.

Lots a d lots of heavy rain on the trip and I mean heavy rain and winds and no water leaking noted.
Mine is louder than the freedom tops with sound deadened. But I didn’t think at higher speeds it was significantly worse, although with a head wind it was pretty loud before.
Sponsored