First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
I have the Rampage cargo cover & windbreaker.

I also ordered the new mastertop "ultimate summer combo" when it was announced a few weeks ago, but am waiting on it to ship from Mastertop.

I have a JLUS with the dual top group.

Why did I get the Rampage?
-I like the soft top installed, but down from late spring through fall. I do not car for the rear window storage. I do not like the bag in the jeep, nor the loss of cargo space, or always moving it around, especially if you want a cargo cover, since it is too tall to fint under the cover if you try to put it behind the reat seats standing.

Likes on the Rampage
-I am very happy with the quality of it. Fit & finish is excellent.

Dislikes
-Window in the windbreaker is REALLY short. The way it mounts to the top of the sportbar means you lose a couple inches of visibility.
-the windbreak does not extend all the way across, side to side. (remember it is intended as a windbreak, not as a complete enclosure.

This leads to why I purchased the Mastertop. I wanted a solution that would allow me to not worry if I get caught in a rain shower that I will have rain coming in the 2 sides in the rear. I tow the jeep behind my RV, and in the past this meant putting the top up, including the rear & side windows. This in turn mean that when traveling I never put the soft top back down. I am hoping that the Mastertop will allow me to leave the windows at home, yet not worry about rain in the jeep when towing it. Without having to deal with the windows, it also means that I can drop the top when traveling without having to deal with the windows.

Final thoughts:
Does this mean I will sell the Rampage? I am not sure. I actually like it for what it is, and with the actual roof portion of the factory soft top up, the rampage cargo cover and windbreak actually keep the rear pretty dry. I may keep it and use it when I am driving around at home.

Cheers
Sponsored

OP
OP
DougJaneway

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Local Government Official
Please post pics when you get it. Does it go door to door? In other words its a complete frame-less top?

I have the Rampage cargo cover & windbreaker.

I also ordered the new mastertop "ultimate summer combo" when it was announced a few weeks ago, but am waiting on it to ship from Mastertop.

I have a JLUS with the dual top group.

Why did I get the Rampage?
-I like the soft top installed, but down from late spring through fall. I do not car for the rear window storage. I do not like the bag in the jeep, nor the loss of cargo space, or always moving it around, especially if you want a cargo cover, since it is too tall to fint under the cover if you try to put it behind the reat seats standing.

Likes on the Rampage
-I am very happy with the quality of it. Fit & finish is excellent.

Dislikes
-Window in the windbreaker is REALLY short. The way it mounts to the top of the sportbar means you lose a couple inches of visibility.
-the windbreak does not extend all the way across, side to side. (remember it is intended as a windbreak, not as a complete enclosure.

This leads to why I purchased the Mastertop. I wanted a solution that would allow me to not worry if I get caught in a rain shower that I will have rain coming in the 2 sides in the rear. I tow the jeep behind my RV, and in the past this meant putting the top up, including the rear & side windows. This in turn mean that when traveling I never put the soft top back down. I am hoping that the Mastertop will allow me to leave the windows at home, yet not worry about rain in the jeep when towing it. Without having to deal with the windows, it also means that I can drop the top when traveling without having to deal with the windows.

Final thoughts:
Does this mean I will sell the Rampage? I am not sure. I actually like it for what it is, and with the actual roof portion of the factory soft top up, the rampage cargo cover and windbreak actually keep the rear pretty dry. I may keep it and use it when I am driving around at home.

Cheers

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
(Edit: Added prototype foam inserts for the front doors, at a total cost of about $8 - JLUR )

Couldn't be happier with the MasterTop Bimini Top Plus (Part #14300635)!

I'm running the SpiderWebShade mesh top, and this fits right over it, with no issues. The fact that an additional header isn't needed, and that the front section tucks nicely/snugly in to keep rain off of the dash make this worth every penny.

For me, the mesh top is the daily, and the MasterTop Bimini Top Plus will be my emergency option for the next time I get stuck out in a storm.

With the SpiderWebShade installed, only one of the soundbar's 3 fasteners from the MasterTop can be used, though I may develop an option for that, if it's even needed.

Install was a breeze, and build quality, so far, has been solid.

PS: It does flap a bit, though I plan to let it stretch a bit, then re-tighten.

PPS: I also plan to mock up some foam inserts for the top door gaps. Will post pics if it works (Pics added)

Here's some pics:

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200704_114235

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200704_114258

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200704_114828

If you're using this top primarily for rain protection, the gaps between the doors will still allow rain in. But... the foam inserts cut below may be a solution. I'm planning to share this with MasterTop.

Cut some foam pipe wrap for 1" Pipe into two 23" sections.

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_111905

For the driver's side, front window: (Reverse the cuts for the passenger side)
  • With the split section of the pipe wrap at the bottom while on a table, cut a 1.5" slit on the front side of the foam
  • Next, cut a rounded wedge leading up to the back side of the slit just cut
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_112500

• On the rear of the foam, cut two, 2' slits. The first cut will be in-line with the front slit previously cut. This allows the foam to wrap around the rear rubber section at the top of the B-Pillar. The second 2" cut will be about an inch below the first (see Pic.). While not pictured, I did cut the back half of this 2" section off, allowing the two pieces shown to recess into the B-Pillar's rubber top. (Note that this allows water to enter the drain)
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_113432

And that's basically it for this first run. Each section wedges into the door jams quite nicely, though I'm thinking of adding some small Velcro strips that wrap around the roll bar just to be safe.

Top View:
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_114348

View from inside:
Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_114527

Jeep Wrangler JL Summer tops 20200705_114536

There are no gaps, and no wind noise/whistles.

From here, I'll likely find some solid, water resistant foam and cut it as shown. Once again, this isn't intended for everyday use, as the goal was to create some additional protection for those times we're caught out in a big rain storm.

It would be great if @MasterTop would include something like this in their kit!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
This is great, I tried the pool noodle idea from a different forum without any luck I definitely wouldn't last at highway speed. For the life of me I can't understand why companies haven't released an affordable top that covers the doors also. I do have and like the Rampage version, top and cargo cover, I opted out of the windbreaker. Colorado has pop up showers all the time, I know "it's ok" to get the interior wet, I just don't want to deal with the cleanup. I just wish that someone would create a top like this but in the JK version that covers the door gaps. I understand that I could go full soft top there is even a version from California tops @ $1200 the top itself fits the void between this style and a full soft top variant, however the price doesn't and for that price I would buy a full soft top.

OP
OP
DougJaneway

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
This is great, I tried the pool noodle idea from a different forum without any luck I definitely wouldn't last at highway speed. For the life of me I can't understand why companies haven't released an affordable top that covers the doors also. I do have and like the Rampage version, top and cargo cover, I opted out of the windbreaker. Colorado has pop up showers all the time, I know "it's ok" to get the interior wet, I just don't want to deal with the cleanup. I just wish that someone would create a top like this but in the JK version that covers the door gaps. I understand that I could go full soft top there is even a version from California tops @ $1200 the top itself fits the void between this style and a full soft top variant, however the price doesn't and for that price I would buy a full soft top.
Say it louder for those in the back!

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry, we're listening :)

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
MORE AFFORDABLE ;) :LOL:.

Edited: I don't want to sound like a jerk! I do appreciate what you team brings to the industry. However, My Idea of spending thousands of dollars of my hard earned enlisted pay on an upgrade would have to have have more of a functional impact to my Jeep i.e. use for my off road adventures. I understand my idea of function would differ from then next and there is plenty of function you get from having a full framed soft top or trek top(love the new Trektop Ultra). However, when it comes spending that kind of money on a vehicle I couldn't justify the reward. So for now I have been and will be using my Rampage top as the Bestop bikini wasn't released last year when I bought one. I will also be cursing the Colorado weather for not letting me leave my leave my hardtop off for longer duration. Again, thanks for the great work you guys put into your product!

P.S. I'm down in C. Springs if you ever need me to test products :fingerscrossed:.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DougJaneway

DougJaneway

First Name
37NDJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Right, we need a product that is affordable to the average hard top owner who wants something easy and quick to throw on as a semi-permanent top for the summer months.

MORE AFFORDABLE ;) :LOL:.

Edited: I don't want to sound like a jerk! I do appreciate what you team brings to the industry. However, My Idea of spending thousands of dollars of my hard earned enlisted pay on an upgrade would have to have have more of a functional impact to my Jeep i.e. use for my off road adventures. I understand my idea of function would differ from then next and there is plenty of function you get from having a full framed soft top or trek top(love the new Trektop Ultra). However, when it comes spending that kind of money on a vehicle I couldn't justify the reward. So for now I have been and will be using my Rampage top as the Bestop bikini wasn't released last year when I bought one. I will also be cursing the Colorado weather for not letting me leave my leave my hardtop off for longer duration. Again, thanks for the great work you guys put into your product!

P.S. I'm down in C. Springs if you ever need me to test products :fingerscrossed:.
Sponsored