Stuck in park/service shifter

arwood

First Name
Alyssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019
I have had very similar issues for the past few months with my 2019 Jeep Wrangler. Does anyone know if there has been a class action lawsuit related to these issues?
Sponsored

Rwhite

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Start getting together documentation on how many times it’s been to the dealer, and how many days it spent at each one in case you need to Lemon it. It’s easier to keep tabs along the way then try and figure out everything at the end.

hopefully it doesn’t get to that point, but better to have all the info together.
Just had this same issue. Hopefully picking up my Jeep today after work. 2nd time in the 3 weeks Ive owned it that its been in service for this same issue. I was told it was a short in the wiring in the harness between the gear shifter and the transmission. They are replacing the entire harness since its considered a manufacturers defect and theres less than 1,000 mi on it. Maybe yours is this as well?

Rwhite

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my jeep back last week on Wed Dec 2. They were very confident that it was an unseated fuse. Fuse 25 to be specific. This was after nearly 3 weeks of them troubleshooting with Chrysler calling the shots. All was well until that following Saturday, the 5th. Even after being warmed up and it was not even cold that day, it would not shift out of park AGAIN. I was stranded at a gas station. After about 35 min it kicked in and I went home. It did it again later on at home, and tonight before I went to work. I called the dealership Sat and let them know it was an issue once again and I am going to take it in tomorrow for the 4th time. Ugh.
Just had this same issue. Hopefully picking up my Jeep today after work. 2nd time in the 3 weeks Ive owned it that its been in service for this same issue. I was told it was a short in the wiring in the harness between the gear shifter and the transmission. They are replacing the entire harness since its considered a manufacturers defect and theres less than 1,000 mi on it. Maybe yours is this as well?

crux360a

First Name
Kristen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Towing and auto repair
This sounds like a pushed pin or something like that. Hopefully they track it down quick for you.

In case you should need to get it towed, you'll need this info:

that or every driver should have wheel skates on their truck

Sponsored

Rwhite

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They just called back and said that many of the harnesses have a wire shorting out for the gear shifter so Jeep recommends bypassing the harness and rewiring that part. They are doing it now and hopefully that solves that issue.

Rwhite

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Was called today by dealership that Wrangler was fixed. I went to get it and when I turned the vehicle on it showed service gear shifter and the transmission light again. Walked right back in and turned the key back over to them. This is now time #3. Im done. Going into the dealership tomorrow to ask for a replacement vehicle. Out of 16 days, they have now had it for 9.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
UPDATE: Was called today by dealership that Wrangler was fixed. I went to get it and when I turned the vehicle on it showed service gear shifter and the transmission light again. Walked right back in and turned the key back over to them. This is now time #3. Im done. Going into the dealership tomorrow to ask for a replacement vehicle. Out of 16 days, they have now had it for 9.
If you need support while your Jeep is in for service, send a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Rwhite

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealership offered replacement vehicle as the original wrangler threw more codes again today... for a 4th time.

Granite18jl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara 3.6L 8 speed
Hey guys, i need help. My 3 month old wrangler is having weird issues. 4 days ago i got in it to go for an oil change, and when i started it up it wouldn't shift out of park. The shifter wouldn't move, the check engine light came on, the red lightning bolt in parentheses light came on, and it said service shifter on the combi meter info screen. I shut it off, restarted, same thing. I repeated two more times and it started and was able to be shifted. The check engine light stayed on.

Conveniently, i was on my way to the dealership for an oil change so i told them. They messed around with it for a while, said it was showing some codes, they couldn't seem to pinpoint the issue and gave it back to me basically saying it may or may not do it again.

This morning at 5 am as i was leaving my workplace, i started it and it did the same thing. I turned it off and restarted 14x before the "P" lit up on my shifter and blinked and it magically decided to work again, allowing me to shift into drive and go home.

The dealership is getting an earful later today when they open, and i have a feeling they won't solve anything since they didnt the other day either. Have any of you had this problem?
this is one of many issues the 2018 jeep wrangler JL use are having an all the dealerships nobody knows a damn thing but what they do now is a jeeps out of warranty and we have to pay out-of-pocket but I can guarantee this is a jeep wrangler problem. Sounds like many many wranglers are having this problem so maybe one day they’ll hold up and have a recall so this piece will be fixed. Also, I have noticed and been told by other drivers and friends when check engine light is on and I am going through this issue. My red tail lights don’t work so just another safety issue. Chrysler is not gonna fix.

Sponsored

Granite18jl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What ended up being the fix? I am having the same issue amongst others. 6 service visits. 3 dealers. Still not working.
So I-have been dealing with this for about a month now myself. This is very frustrating because its the great history of the 2018 jeep jeep wrangler for some reason it seems to reset after you disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 to 10 minutes

OP
OP
foxess

foxess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport 2 dr
So I-have been dealing with this for about a month now myself. This is very frustrating because its the great history of the 2018 jeep jeep wrangler for some reason it seems to reset after you disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 5 to 10 minutes

I just called my dealership bc i couldn't remember what the actual issue ended up being, but for mine the final fix was this:

code was U0103-00 and they replaced the PDC (power distribution center) part 68370551AC

So it was the fuse box. I am not kidding when I say they took it apart trying this and that. Wire harnesses rubbing, loose fuses, a thing in the shifting mechanism, replaced the radio (??), I mean they were really really baffled. I was about to lose my mind. It took a couple of months before they finally figured it out, by process of elimination it seems lol, and I was in a loaner for the better part of 2 months. Hope this helps, good luck!!

Granite18jl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a service visit in July so I will point that out to them. Bit in the meantime I have tools to unconnect my battery and wait for whatever to reset and let me drive away like A normal car.

Bc330908

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Someone please tell me what the answer is to this issue. I feel like I’ve read 200 different comments and forms. The dealership clearly doesn’t know what’s wrong….. is it the harness is it the ess? A vehicle with less than 50k miles should not be shutting down going 70mph on the highway.

Granite18jl

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Someone please tell me what the answer is to this issue. I feel like I’ve read 200 different comments and forms. The dealership clearly doesn’t know what’s wrong….. is it the harness is it the ess? A vehicle with less than 50k miles should not be shutting down going 70mph on the highway.
I know the feeling bc330908, i have read 10-20 post a day from ess malfunction, stuck shifter, all warning lights on, lost of power steering, car wont start and any other symptoms that i have experienced since this has happened nobody really know a true answer, i have got new batteries, push every fuse down under hood all fuses behind glove box, check wire connections on driver side wheel well, today took out fuse 42 and the Negative from the auxiliary battery first all lights shut off but the Check Engine light was just going to clear codes with reader and see what happens well my first time tried to start and shifter wouldn’t move. Shut jeep off start again and we are off engine light is still on but its truly stressful driving because I’m just waiting to lose my power steering at any moment which In my book is a major Safety issue for Chrysler but I guess they are a reactive company instead of a proactive company so lets just wait for a recall or a fix after someone sues them or get injured from their faulty computer system.
Sponsored