Sponsored

Stop/Start Not Ready-Battery Charging

TexCin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JL)
My dealer said give it a week but it cleared up in about 20 minutes on the freeway
My dealer said give it a week but it cleared up in about 20 minutes on the freeway
Good to know! I am taking mine back on Saturday so it will probably have an extra 200 miles on it. If I get lucky, maybe I won't have to go back.
Sponsored

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Good to know! I am taking mine back on Saturday so it will probably have an extra 200 miles on it. If I get lucky, maybe I won't have to go back.
Maybe if you have a trickle charger hook it up and see if that makes it clear faster

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe if you have a trickle charger hook it up and see if that makes it clear faster
that’s what I did after having my main battery replaced and it indeed did speed up the process

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

My ESS will work if I leave the batteries on a tender overnight. It will work for two 14 mile drives. It will remain in a Stop/Start Battery Not Charging state until I put it on the tender again.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
My ESS will work if I leave the batteries on a tender overnight. It will work for two 14 mile drives. It will remain in a Stop/Start Battery Not Charging state until I put it on the tender again.
take it in like everyone else probably a bad Aux battery

Sponsored

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

take it in like everyone else probably a bad Aux battery
I will get it done when I do my "free" oil change. Not in a rush. I find it interesting how many folks are posting about getting the run around from their dealer on a known problem.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I will get it done when I do my "free" oil change. Not in a rush. I find it interesting how many folks are posting about getting the run around from their dealer on a known problem.
My jeep does the same thing...bought a charger...charged it. After a few drives, it wouldnt start. Charged again...Took it to dealer and they charged it for 3 hrs and tried to tell I'm good. I disagreed bc the ESS battery charging alert was still on my dash at the dealer. I showed them and they said it would go away...I argued and explained I've already tried charging it. They ordered a new main battery...put it in the following day. Alert was still on screen when I left. I called back requesting a new aux battery. They said to drive it for a few days and see if alert goes away. Drove it for 2 hrs....alert never went away. Taking it in again next week. Very annoying...dealer is 45 min away.

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
So if the ESS system is still charging for days and days probably means the Aux battery is bad? Mine started this Monday and 100 miles later says system still charging.

willcasp

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Clubs

So if the ESS system is still charging for days and days probably means the Aux battery is bad? Mine started this Monday and 100 miles later says system still charging.
My other cars that have ESS systems, do not have this error. Ever. The system just works.

Not understanding why Jeep can't make this just work.

PAUL HARRIS

First Name
Baja Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
I have the same problem. At first there was a warning about ess disabled. Now there’s nothing unless I go through the menu and find the battery needs charging. The dealer doesn’t know what it is and has ignored my requests to get it right.

Sponsored

Dvol

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
I have the same problem. At first there was a warning about ess disabled. Now there’s nothing unless I go through the menu and find the battery needs charging. The dealer doesn’t know what it is and has ignored my requests to get it right.
I also noticed it kept saying Engine Temperature too low and then back and forth to charging and Temp too low. My engine temp was in the middle were it always is. Oddly it started working again x2 then back to charging screen again and never worked again rest of the day..Odd duck for sure...Ahh the Gremlins lol

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Have the batteries checked.....several here including me had a bad battery and once replaced it was all good

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Did they replace your main battery and aux battery?
No Sir they replaced the main, I ran voltage testing here, see post #80 https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/tazer-ess-battery-testing.20413/page-6

I did the above with the new battery and recently have trickle charged both ESS and main battery separately and my batteries seem to be doing ok, I did a combined trickle charge the last few days and my combined voltage is running 12.68 at rest and separately about the same but if I leave my JL parked for 3-4 days the EVIC displayed voltage at startup will be over 14 and after about an hour driving will drop down to 13.2-13.5 and if I keep driving say a trip for several hours it will drop down to about 12.9 but remember what you see in the EVIC display while running is your battery voltage but it has the alternator influence involved as the JL using a smart charging algorithm that is controlled by the IBS attached to the negative terminal.