DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of dealer they opened a new star case new dampner with an air port in it wont be released till the 24 th of this month i have AD release installed 2 weeks ago this new part is AE release
So you are saying there is yet another updated version of the dampener coming out on April 24? What does an "air port" do?
Sponsored

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
So you are saying there is yet another updated version of the dampener coming out on April 24? What does an "air port" do?
They weren’t sure i was trying to get them to check that star case where they check the steering box for overtorque but after e took it for a ride this was the techs thinking my tie rod and drag link dont seem to have any play in them i was under it last night looking at things. I also noticed now with the hravy duty trac bar it seems to make contact at some point with the front splash guard. Minor. But i see slight rub marks. So im not real sure what thats all about

efitzger

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is where im headed jus want any kind of reassurance that this is it and not the next 1,000 dollars worth of pieces to throw at this thing
I've been chasing a slight steering wobble ever since I installed my 3.5" Rancho Crawler lift (about 1.5 months ago). After the lift and running stock tires, it seemed fine for a few weeks until I had a chance to swap on the 37's (on DOT 17" rims). Seemed fine again for a few days, then started a nice wobble my first time accelerating on an on-ramp about 55mph. Very strong shaking of steering wheel (not DW, but definitely wasn't comfortable driving), so I turned around and checked underneath. All bolts torqued and retorqued, and no play noted in any steering components. Tires checked for balance, second alignment performed. Nothing changed, still lots of wobble in steering wheel from 45-55mph. Called Rancho tech support and they suggested loosening all control arm bolts and track bar bolts, back jeep out of garage, bounce on suspension, pull back in and retighten. Test drove = less wobble but definitely still there/ noticeable. Noticed now that there was play in the drag link to pitman arm connection (pry bar could move the drag link independently of pitman arm/ jeep). Replaced drag link and tie rod with Synergy units. Felt great for a couple weeks (no wobble) until today...started wobbling slightly again. This is driving me nuts! The wobble has decreased significantly, but something still isn't right. I swear it's worse when it's cooler out as well. I'll probably loosen the drag link and tie rod again, retorque, and test drive. If that doesn't do it I may swap different tires/wheels on to see if it's a wheel/tire issue. Spec sheets show everything is perfect, but it sure as heck does shimmy (the steering wheel). Running out of things to replace...steering stabilizer is stock, but that simply masks underlying issues, so I'm holding off on that until I sort this out.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been chasing a slight steering wobble ever since I installed my 3.5" Rancho Crawler lift (about 1.5 months ago). After the lift and running stock tires, it seemed fine for a few weeks until I had a chance to swap on the 37's (on DOT 17" rims). Seemed fine again for a few days, then started a nice wobble my first time accelerating on an on-ramp about 55mph. Very strong shaking of steering wheel (not DW, but definitely wasn't comfortable driving), so I turned around and checked underneath. All bolts torqued and retorqued, and no play noted in any steering components. Tires checked for balance, second alignment performed. Nothing changed, still lots of wobble in steering wheel from 45-55mph. Called Rancho tech support and they suggested loosening all control arm bolts and track bar bolts, back jeep out of garage, bounce on suspension, pull back in and retighten. Test drove = less wobble but definitely still there/ noticeable. Noticed now that there was play in the drag link to pitman arm connection (pry bar could move the drag link independently of pitman arm/ jeep). Replaced drag link and tie rod with Synergy units. Felt great for a couple weeks (no wobble) until today...started wobbling slightly again. This is driving me nuts! The wobble has decreased significantly, but something still isn't right. I swear it's worse when it's cooler out as well. I'll probably loosen the drag link and tie rod again, retorque, and test drive. If that doesn't do it I may swap different tires/wheels on to see if it's a wheel/tire issue. Spec sheets show everything is perfect, but it sure as heck does shimmy (the steering wheel). Running out of things to replace...steering stabilizer is stock, but that simply masks underlying issues, so I'm holding off on that until I sort this out.
There is a brand new Customer Satisfaction Notification V41 Steering Damper out dated June 2019 affects 2018-2019 JLs. It is referring to the wobble problem. I wonder why the kit of parts also includes the bracket and bolts and not just the damper. I do not have access to the PDF so I can’t upload it. Maybe someone else can find it and post it.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
There is a brand new Customer Satisfaction Notification V41 Steering Damper out dated June 2019 affects 2018-2019 JLs. It is referring to the wobble problem. I wonder why the kit of parts also includes the bracket and bolts and not just the damper. I do not have access to the PDF so I can’t upload it. Maybe someone else can find it and post it.
This is terrific news! Looking forward to understanding the “kit”.

Jeep my finally be turning the corner on this issue.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Running out of things to replace...steering stabilizer is stock, but that simply masks underlying issues, so I'm holding off on that until I sort this out.
I know that gets thrown around a lot by the seasoned off road experts. But running 37's is a lot of weight to control with the stock stabilizer. No matter what steering components you run there will always be a some flex and when a tire hits a pot hole those tires can setup oscillations that are too strong to be controlled by the stock stabilizer that is not operating at peak performance or is inadequate.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
How did you dial in your caster angle?

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Thank you for your efforts and keeping us in the loop!

I really appreciate it..

I have the same experiences, but just with a Mopar lift... everything else completely bone stock....

Keep pushing..

TC

Sponsored

xmonkeyj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saechungrealtor.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Realtor
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have a 2018 Jeep JLU Sahara with 11XXX KM's on it, everything has been perfect, no recalls etc but for some reason when I hit a bump my steering wheel like shakes? It kinda feels like my tires went flat and have no air in it.

I'm new to anything really vehicle related so I was wondering if anyone may know the cause?

Edit: This only happens at highway speeds, and is bone stock.
Finally!
https://www.carscoops.com/2019/06/fca-hit-with-lawsuit-over-jeep-wrangler-death-wobble/

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have 2019 bone stock JLUR.initially zero steering wobble on highway whether I ran over pot hole or road bump/imperfection. At around 4k miles started to become slightly noticable, now at 11k significantly worse and need to have it addressed by dealer

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I have 2019 bone stock JLUR.initially zero steering wobble on highway whether I ran over pot hole or road bump/imperfection. At around 4k miles started to become slightly noticable, now at 11k significantly worse and need to have it addressed by dealer
Yup, that's the mo. Perfect when new, as wear ensues it becomes worse.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't remember where I saw it on this forum was supposedly released a stiffer track bar and different tow calibrations would that be of any help in this area? Thank you
Sponsored