Sponsored

Steering wheel wobble?

shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
You guys are far nicer than I am...You guys seem to work with the dealership for long durations, check/adjust parts on your own and spend massive amounts on aftermarket parts to fix this issue (which they will love to see so they can void your warranty)....

If I experienced this issue I would go to my local dealership, toss them the keys and let them know I will be glad to pick up the vehicle when its fully repaired and in safe driving condition...If they want to provide me with a loaner vehicle until that time, great. If they dont I will be glad to include those fees in the settlement when my lawyer contacts FCA...The time clock for lemon law or buy back starts the second I leave the keys with the dealership...

If you play nice, they will take advantage of you. I've worked in industries that companies literally had mathematical equations for profit margin that included things such as brand loyalty, conflict avoidance, etc, etc. They literally count on peoples patience, kindness, laziness, apathy or the feeling of community in their profit/risk calculations. Its why I laugh anytime I hear "customer loyalty" thrown around. It has nothing to do with acknowledging or rewarding your loyalty and everything to do with their profit calculations. The good news is that the laws (in many states) are there to protect the consumer and to make them whole again.....

...at the end of the day my desire for a Jeep does not outweigh the sanity for financial and safety risks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I just got mine back. They checked the steering stabilizer that was replaced not too long ago and it was not of the newest spec, so they put a new one on. It is a big improvement, but I'd say about 85% of where I want the feel to be. Most bumps produce no shake at all, but larger ones still generate a very little bit, which I don't like. My dealership said the next step will be a new drag link. I'm going to have them go ahead and order it and when the part arrives, have them install it and then we'll see how it goes. If that doesn't cure it, then the new spec track bar will be next. If that doesn't 100% cure it, then I'll try and get them to pay for a set of adjustable lower control arms to improve the castor. It is close now, though, so I think the drag link might just be the ticket. I'm also running at 37psi of pressure right now and I know it does better at 30 to 32, but I want it 100% right even at the highest pressure.
I would look at things in this sequence
  1. Obviously all steering components must be tight without play.
  2. Without lift I would like to see caster above 5.3%. With lift above 6%. If your caster is lower, there's likely your issue.
  3. Steering stabilizer will NOT address the wobble issue, it will just hide it. So do that as the last step. Agree with your point on tire pressure for the same reason.
  4. Dr Death Wobble out on the web claims that the steering components on the JL are too light, resulting in an unfavorable resonance frequency. I would be careful with putting in heavier components unless you are also willing to also upgrade bearings and joints. Also, Jeep will likely no longer feel responsible at this point.
1 and 2 did the trick for me running 35X12.5 tires and a 2.5" lift. Again, just my two cents.

SaharaSting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
My death wobble is worse then ever. Cant drive the vehicle above 50 without the slightest bump causing it now :-(.

Dealership has a Fox Stabilizer on order but I'm running out of hope of this issue being fixed.

It has become a daily occurrence for me to have to put my flashers on and slow my vehicle to 30 mph while going to and from work on busy roads.
Why is it a mask? They recently put a Fox Racing heavy duty dampner on mine which was the 4th replacement. This has fixed the death wobble so far but now I'm worried. Are you saying something else will eventually go wrong?

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Why is it a mask? They recently put a Fox Racing heavy duty dampner on mine which was the 4th replacement. This has fixed the death wobble so far but now I'm worried. Are you saying something else will eventually go wrong?
Your Jeep should be able to operate without a steering stabilizer with no DW. If DW stops with a new steering stabilizer it means the steering stabilizer is absorbing the vibration or impact causing DW. Basically your taking the issue that exists and using the steering stabilizer to stop it. Over time it can overload a steering stabilizer and you’ll have to replace the steering stabilizer to keep DW from happening. That is why many people keep saying they are on their 3rd or 4th stabilizer.

A good stabilizer like a fox or falcon are far superior to a cheap stabilizer and they handle the vibrations and impacts much better and will last much longer. In short I’m saying your issue is not fixed but you have stopped the symptoms with a stabilizer. You could run it for years without another issue but at some point your going to need to fix it or get another stabilizer.

IMO to fix it you need to change out the track-bar, draglink with a better quality items and make sure your ball joints are torqued to spec. The Jeep parts are so thin and lightweight I think they flex and vibrate which starts DW. Mine stopped when I installed a new drag link and track bar.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Brown Santa delivered my Rancho track bar today. I'll have it on tonight and will put this thing to the big test the next two days. I'm heading down to the Daniel Boone National Forest area to explore and take a few light trails. The highway trip will tell if the track bar helped. Right now, it is only a minor shake when bumps are hit just right, so it isn't bad. That's with a new dampener. I want to help that dampener, though, with this track bar. My dealer also ordered a new drag link, so that will go into the mix, too, unless the track bar really takes care of it. I'll keep you posted.

SaharaSting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
Your Jeep should be able to operate without a steering stabilizer with no DW. If DW stops with a new steering stabilizer it means the steering stabilizer is absorbing the vibration or impact causing DW. Basically your taking the issue that exists and using the steering stabilizer to stop it. Over time it can overload a steering stabilizer and you’ll have to replace the steering stabilizer to keep DW from happening. That is why many people keep saying they are on their 3rd or 4th stabilizer.

A good stabilizer like a fox or falcon are far superior to a cheap stabilizer and they handle the vibrations and impacts much better and will last much longer. In short I’m saying your issue is not fixed but you have stopped the symptoms with a stabilizer. You could run it for years without another issue but at some point your going to need to fix it or get another stabilizer.

IMO to fix it you need to change out the track-bar, draglink with a better quality items and make sure your ball joints are torqued to spec. The Jeep parts are so thin and lightweight I think they flex and vibrate which starts DW. Mine stopped when I installed a new drag link and track bar.
Thank You for your reply.

SaharaSting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara
I would not allow the dealership to install an expensive aftermarket stabilizer if the current replacements haven't produced any results whatsoever. Something else is going on here, and throwing another more expensive stabilizer at is is a good way to ruin a good part. They need to go through number of Star Cases out there and review front end fasteners, alignment, steering box and trackbar/drag link. I wouldn't even ask them to "inspect" the track bar and drag link, but ask them to replace them regardless as the parts are completely new for this very reason.
I was told by my dealer that Chysler actually makes the Fox Racing damper.

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Brown Santa delivered my Rancho track bar today. I'll have it on tonight and will put this thing to the big test the next two days. I'm heading down to the Daniel Boone National Forest area to explore and take a few light trails. The highway trip will tell if the track bar helped. Right now, it is only a minor shake when bumps are hit just right, so it isn't bad. That's with a new dampener. I want to help that dampener, though, with this track bar. My dealer also ordered a new drag link, so that will go into the mix, too, unless the track bar really takes care of it. I'll keep you posted.
I did the rancho track bars. Made an improvement in the tightness of the steering but the wheel shakes if your on anything but a smooth road had wifey drive it and it still wanders and she said its like a built in hand massager the whole time u drive i have a 2018 sahara mopar 2” lift

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I did the rancho track bars. Made an improvement in the tightness of the steering but the wheel shakes if your on anything but a smooth road had wifey drive it and it still wanders and she said its like a built in hand massager the whole time u drive i have a 2018 sahara mopar 2” lift
Wow, mine isn't that bad on its worst day, all stock. I am holding off on the track bar until the dealer puts in the new drag link, which will be on Monday. If the drag link does the job, I will probably still install the Rancho, just for its strength, but I'll be tempted not to change anything. If it doesn't, then the Rancho goes in and the next step will be to address the caster angle.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine back from the dealer yesterday for the second replacement of the steering stabilizer, this time they used the Fox brand at FCA expense.
Did it help?

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Wow, mine isn't that bad on its worst day, all stock. I am holding off on the track bar until the dealer puts in the new drag link, which will be on Monday. If the drag link does the job, I will probably still install the Rancho, just for its strength, but I'll be tempted not to change anything. If it doesn't, then the Rancho goes in and the next step will be to address the caster angle.
I called rock krawler and he said so long as your close to 5* all good waste of money he said track bar and drag link and if u wheel then tie rod he said he recommended steersmart. I have used synergy and had great luck.

Brooklynjlu2018

First Name
Junior
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler sahara
Just out of dealer they opened a new star case new dampner with an air port in it wont be released till the 24 th of this month i have AD release installed 2 weeks ago this new part is AE release
Sponsored